Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My canine buddy Jack-Rainbow Bridge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My canine buddy Jack-Rainbow Bridge Next Topic  

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Needed to share because I feel so sad today. I had to "put down" my old dog Jack B. this morning. He had been with me since 1994 when he showed up in my front yard in Dallas and insisted on staying. He was an adult dog in 1994 so I am estimating that he was about 14 years old. He was a shepherd X so he was a big dog and lived a long, happy life for a dog that size.

He had been in a state of physical decline since last Christmas. His hind legs started failing about 4 days ago. I would come home from work and find that he was unable to get up after the morning pain meds had worn off. I am sad but know that I made the correct decision since I did not want him to suffer. Last night I let him eat as many hot dogs as he wanted since this was his favorite treat!

Thanks for listening.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Connie...I know how you feel and you need to rest assured that you did do the right thing. I still miss my Daisy, who died in her sleep after 13 years as part of our family.
I love that you let him eat all the hot dogs he wanted..what a sweet loving thing to do.
hugs.....

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  3:35:58 PM  Show Profile
so sorry about your dog connie, I had a spanial for 14 years and it IS a very sad thing, then I had a cat for 12 years. don't think I will try it again, still think about them. just think that Jack B was one luckey dog to come to your door.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  4:01:04 PM  Show Profile
conni,i to am so sorry for your loss. my molly is is leaning toward that direction.she is a ten year old eng bull and that is old for them.she to is on pain meds for her old bones.these dogs do break our hearts dont they.i agree with you you made the right choice.i do feel your pain as i have been there befor and will be ther again.wish the humans had that choice when they are in the same situation. randi
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  4:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Connie,

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure Jack loved you very much. He knew to come to your door and you loved him and took care of him all this time. I know it was hard but you did do the right thing.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Connie ~ do you want me to check in on Jack for you?

Love,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Farm Girls Thanks so much for your kind words. It helps me a great deal.

I also have been there before and will be there again because I have had multiple pets for years. I currently have 10 other geriatric cats and dogs--many of whom I have had since 1991-1994. It is so hard when they go, but when I think of how they looked when I rescued them from the streets or the horrible Dallas city shelter, I know that I will continue on this path because it is so rewarding to see them heal and flourish. I just probably won't have quite so many because I am 54 years and getting a little tired!

Randi I also wish that we were as humane with humans. I thought about this as I was saying goodbye to Jack. If he were human, he could have ended up as an invalid in a hospital bed for a long time.

My entire family knows how I feel about life support. I certainly don't want to be in a terrible state hooked up to life support machines. I really think that modern medicine often does not handle dying correctly.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  7:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Im very sorry for your lost connie, like the other girls said, you did the right thing, but dont ya just hate it?
My little Windy dog got to where she couldnt stand on her back legs either, so I would take her out and hold her up to let her go to the bathroom and carry her around for about a week but then I had to let her go. I would take out by my Yurt studio while I dyed wool, she was very ok except her legs. She would just set on the porch and watch me and get all excited when I talked to her. It was very very sad when I decided to take in to the vet.
She and I were attached at the hip, when she was little 6 weeks, she jumped off the couch and broke her 2 front legs(she was an american Eskimo)so we became very attached when I had to carry her around with casts on her legs. I really miss her.
Sorry for rambling on and on.
the sadness will become less as the days go by, but think how much we enjoyed having them in this life.
Hugs
shirley
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  04:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Dear Connio, it's the hardest thing to do, but find comfort in knowing you spared him from more pain. Our pets get to be so close to us, always there for us and such a comfort. I share your pain, we've lost several and each time I say no more, but then another furry friend comes in to our lives and makes it even better.

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  05:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
This subject is so close to my heart. I have owned dogs since I was 5 years old. I got a Cocker Spaniel for my 5th birthday. Now I own three and I show my dogs in obedience so I have very close relationships with them. We travel together and we win and lose together. I think that being able to give your dog a peaceful passing with you by their side while they still have dignity is the best thing we can do for these wonderful beings. Don't run away when they pass. If you were to be suddenly stricken your dogs would gather near you and offer you comfort so you need to do that for them. Everytime I have helped a dog out of pain, I have felt a sense of relief. I mourned them but at the moment I knew I had done the right thing. I did lose a very young dog a few years ago and I think I came as close as I have ever come to a nervous breakdown. He was one year and 6 days old. It happened so suddenly. Fine and happy on Sunday night and dead before 7am on Tuesday. But that is a once in a life time catastrophe, I hope. Sorry for rambling but I wanted to join with you in the memories of my lost companions.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  06:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Connie -

I too am sorry for your loss, but you were there for him and like you said he lived a long and happy life, that is more then many animals or humans get. I understand the sorry for I lost my cat of 19+ years about 3 years ago. She was my best friend and long time companion and I had to make the difficult choice of putting her down, but I was with her till the end. Even to this day it still brings tears to my eyes. You sound like a wonderful caregiver to these animals and I am sure they love and appreciate you every day. Take care.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on Jun 15 2006 06:48:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  07:42:59 AM  Show Profile
So sorry. You'll be in my thoughts today!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile
Having just put my cat down last Saturday, I know exactly how you are feeling. My heart goes out to you. Aren't our pets the light of our lives? He is smiling on you.

Georgette

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My canine buddy Jack-Rainbow Bridge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page