Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How often do you clean your fridge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How often do you clean your fridge? Next Topic  

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  6:00:58 PM  Show Profile
I am getting a new fridge tomorrow. Today I spent most of the day moving stuff from the fridge in the house to the fridge and freezer in the shop. I have my old one sold and told the girl that it would not be store bought clean. But I still wanted to wipe the shelves and stuff like that. Also pulled the fridge from the wall so I could clean under and behind it. What an awful job. The more stuff I took out the dirtyer the shelves were. And the floor under, yuk! Even the walls had to be wiped down, DUST.

So the question is, how often do you totally clean the inside and how often do you pull it out and clean behind and under. I guess I have not been doing that often enough.

Belle

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  7:12:27 PM  Show Profile
I clean the inside about once a month. Be sure you wipe down the seal and the jamb the seal sets against. Stickyness there can ruin your seal. I clean the back once or twice a year. I remove the front bottom grate and clean it every other month. That you just vacuum along and under if you can get under it. That's what my dad told me to do and he repairs them, so I guess his advice should be solid.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  9:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Clean the fridge? What's that? I think I clean the inside maybe once a year and about the same I pull it out and clean under it. I know you're supposed to vacuum the coils but I don't think I've ever done it. Since I'm the only one who uses it, the inside doesn't get too dirty.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  06:04:11 AM  Show Profile
I clean my fridge when it gets to dirty for me to stand! One chore I chose to ignore probably way to long.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  12:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You should certainly vacuum the coils at least once a month- better if you do it weekly. Any dust on them means you are wasting money as it makes your fridge exponentially less efficient. That being said- I pull mine out about once a month and vacuum the front when I think of it! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  2:54:20 PM  Show Profile
I clean the inside out about once a month and I bought one of those swiffers that extends and do underneath, sides and back at least once a month if not more. I also read about taking a yard stick putting panty hose over the end and using it to clean under the fridge.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  11:21:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ga Girl

I clean my fridge when it gets to dirty for me to stand! One chore I chose to ignore probably way to long.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com

Me too, lol OOPS not good, but because I am the only one using it it doesn't get dirty

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  03:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Not often enough! lol!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:19:00 AM  Show Profile
What??? Are we supposed to clean them? Aren't they self cleaning? Hmmmmmm---maybe I better check this out. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, Self Cleaning??? I thought my oven was self cleaning. Yah, right. Now they want me to lock the oven door and push a button. What a hassel. Nothing is what it says it is!

Self cleaning fridge would be great. What we have is self defrosting. Which leads to a dirty fridge. I remember the olden days when you HAD to defrost. That was when you cleaned. I had to take everything out, unplug the electric, then mop up the melted frost. I only did that when there was so much frost that the gallon of milk wouldn't fit anymore. BUT the shelves got cleaned. I guess I am waiting for the frost to build up.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Lol! Self cleaning fridges....

I clean out my fridge (wipe down shelves, etc) about once every 2-3 months unless there are drips or the dreaded fridge crusties lurking about. I get grossed out if there is old food/spills in my fridge. Probably from watching too many episodes of Hoarders and Clean House.

You should dust/vacuum the coils on a regular basis since this is how the refrigerator cools. Dust buildup makes a fridge inefficient and causes the motor to work much harder. It's wasting your hard earned money, too, because you'll pay more in electricity to keep the thing cooling!

You'll need a good vacuum crevice tool, a coil brush (you can get them at any hardware store), and a flashlight. It is highly recommended to unplug your fridge before doing this. I admit to you that I do not...I suppose this to prevent you from hurting the motor fan, but mine is well encapsulated so that I can't hurt it! anyhoo, I lay in front of the fridge, and use the coil brush to extract dust. It really helps to turn the brush to capture more dust balls (think of spaghetti rolling around a fork) and then I vacuum it up. I try and do that every couple of weeks. You may be SHOCKED at what you find if you've never done it. I did it one time at my ex-work (a vet office) and I got out un-Godly amounts of fur and dust. We're talking filling up a trash sack! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How often do you clean your fridge? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page