antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  6:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have a cure for the odor in sweepers? I have a bagless sweeper so the container that catches the dirt is cleaned out every time I use the sweeper, but everytime I turn it on, it smells like my dogs?

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile
I have the same problem. I tried the various perfumed things to add to the sweeper or sprinkle on the floor. Now it just smells like flowery dogs. It's such a musty, obnoxious odor that I can't stand to turn it on. Mine isn't bagless, but I've had the problem in both types.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried sprinkling some baking soda on the floor then vacuuming it up? It might help absorb some odors while it swirls around the the canister. Also changing the filter might help. The filter was the issue when out sweeper started to stink.

Hope that helps!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  06:20:20 AM  Show Profile
The baking soda idea is a good one.

Also, figure out where the air comes out on your sweeper. (on my Dyson it's around the bottom of the dirt canister)

I spray a spritz of essential oils right on that spot before I vacuum, and the air smells lovely.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  06:34:54 AM  Show Profile
there is a mineral not charcoal that will help absorb the odor. you can sprinkle into the new bag or the canister before you use it. it just came to me. the name is Zeolite. you could google a source. it resembles tiny rocks since that is what it is. it has a magnetic charge, since it is volcanic. it grabs the odor molecule with the magnetic charge and neutralizes it. they use it for stinky pinkys a shoe bag to put in stinky shoes. they make them in bags to hang in musty rooms. then you put in sun to clean and use again. so a powder type or small rock type may help. some folks put it in their carpet along with D.E. for fleas and dog odor. then you vacum up in a few days. it does work. just a thought happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  03:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Same here! It smells like dog. Not offensive but not a good "clean" smell either.

I sometimes spray the bag with lavender oil or use the baking soda method too

It's really bad this time of year when I'm constantly sucking up those Asian ladybugs too.

Occasionally too, I'll light an incense stick when I'm done. It's sweetgrass purchased from EarthFare that smells really good and earthy.
Go to Top of Page

MTNSunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sunny
Tollhouse CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Vinegar might help too. I use it for everything around here.

Proud FarmGirl #914 ;o)
Go to Top of Page

tatersgirl913
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Danielle
Aspers PA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  10:52:55 AM  Show Profile
I have beagles and a lab and I too have odor issues with mine. last time i tore my Dyson apart i cleaned it (the parts that can be cleaned with water) with vingear and lavendar essential oil. I have to do it frequently I guess because I run the sweeper every other day with three dogs in the house.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;.." Jer 1:5a

Motherhood is a sweet, sweet moment that lasts an eternity and an eternity that lasts but a moment.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  05:30:36 AM  Show Profile
My bagless has a little foam filter that I remove and wash weekly with soap and tea tree oil and that helps a lot. It doesn't take long to come back though, as my dog has a terrible skin condition- he bites and chews and then the saliva just ferments- and he stinks! :( I wash him more than the floors!

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  10:40:39 AM  Show Profile
I put used dryer sheets in my bags, works great!!

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Valerie (Farmgirl #2356)
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the dryer sheet because I have them here. I take my vacuum apart all the time and clean it but, have the same problem as you ladies. I have 2 small yorkie poos so they do not shed and smell ok but, I still have an odor when I run the vacuum.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile
You really do have to dismantle the vacuum and clean it w/ soap and water frequently. My friends have gotten rid of many a vacuum due to 'doggy odor', but I have had the same vacuum for about 6-7 years because I wash the washable filters frequently and take the thing apart and clean it about once every 2-4 weeks. You also have to wash out any detachable hoses, too, BUT it is hard as heck to totally dry out those darn accordion-like hoses, so be prepared...be sure you have a day or 2 on your hands so that everything can dry out.

I have a bagless vac. It has 2 washable filters. I wash those and I also wash out the canister cup and top part that holds the filter. I also add a couple of drops of essential oil to the washable filters before reinstalling. It did have a HEPA filter on the back, but this was the final filter...and frankly I don't care to replace the stupid thing every other month! So...I removed it and though my vacuum is louder, the suction is a lot better! :0)

Read your manual and learn how to remove the beater bar, too so you can wash it and cut off any strings/hair. (Unplug before cleaning ANYTHING of course). Your vacuum should last you many years if it is a good one and you keep it clean. Also, clogged and dirty filters make the motor work HARD and, yes, it can and will eventually blow it up and ruin your vac. My siblings had a brand NEW expensive vac in college and they never checked the filter. Guess what. It burned up the motor. What a shame! I admit that I found a filter that I did not even know that I HAD on my vac...when I cleaned it, the suction was so much better. Pays to read the manual. Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Sweeper smells Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page