CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  11:32:42 AM  Show Profile
I love it! We can post about aprons and or thoughts about "stuff", usually to do with aprons anyway. I have to run into town but will write more when I get back....

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  2:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I did a cut and paste from Aunt George's posting on the apron projects site. Here's her posting from there:

Oh Cheryl,
Thank you for the lovely picture you painted for me with your words about your cabin in the mountains. I know that the image of you in your gingerbread apron, baking cookies in your snowy log cabin will stay with me. Promise you will take some photos and post them when you get that first snow and you are baking those yummy cookies! Say, I would love to send you some red rick rack to go on a Christmas apron. It is part of my vintage cotton stash. I have plenty to share with you. Email me.

Here is my favorite cookie recipe. My Mom, HeidiFritz used to make these. They rarely make it into the Christmas cookie trays here, because they are always eaten first.

Snowball Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine, softened (my grandma called it oleomargarine)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 finely chopped nuts (I always use pecans for a southern flavor)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together butter, sugar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour salt and nuts. Work into butter/sugar mixture until it holds together. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until set but not brown. Remove from oven. While still warm roll in confectioners sugar. Cool then roll in sugar again. These freeze well so can be made in advance of the holidays and hidden deep in the freezer away from little, or big, hands! I've done many variations on this, like add lemon flavoring, or dusting with a mixture of granulated lemon flavor crystals and powdered sugar. They are pretty presented in mini muffin papers in a box. I know this is a purely decadent recipe, but for the holidays sometimes it calls for this. A flavor and memory from my childhood.

Just thought a snowball cookie recipe would go well with your snowy cabin! (These cookies go by many names: Mexican Wedding Caks, Russian Tea Cookies, etc.)

Enjoy,
Georgann

Edited by - CFlohe on Jun 13 2006 2:49:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:02:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Georgann,
I hope you don't mind that I posted a duplicate of your message onto here. I would really love some of your red rick rack! I'll email you with my address and please let me know what I can send in return. I love buttons and awhile back I won a couple auctions on ebay for tins full of old buttons so if you'd like some I've got plenty. I was looking at that posting of the button samplers that was on here somewhere and would like to make those one of these days. I've got so many projects to do "one of these days" that I'd have to live for a long, long time to even think about finishing them all. Thank you too for the Snowball Cookies recipe! This winter was very long and rainy and I couldn't wait for summer but now you have me looking forward to Christmas again!

My husband left for Seattle today and will probably be over there till the weekend. He stays in our trailer over there and I'm back and forth all the time. Now the house is quiet even though Stephen and Tim are here (we homeschool them) and Thunder and Missy (our 2 boxers) and all 10 of the chicks are resting quietly so I get to go finish my apron!! I'll post a picture, or try anyway, but I wish I had an "Andrea" to model the apron! Where did you get her? I did start a blog but trying to figure out where to start. On to my apron......
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to CFlohe
I would be willing to trade you for some of your buttons if there are any mother of pearl buttons in them. I make crochet lace and would be willing to trade that. Aunt george knows what my lace looks like if you have questions so does Nancy Gartenman. Let me know if you are interested thank you sunshine

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
I'd be happy to trade you some mother of pearl buttons! Don't think of me as severely dumb but I'm not quite sure what a mother of pearl button looks like! I don't know if you could post a picture of one or if Georgann could post a picture of one on her blog or I could probably do a search online. I'll go get my buttons out right now and start looking through them for buttons that might be what you're looking for.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
If you have any mother of pearl buttons, by all means trade them with Sunshine. Her hand made lace is absolutely exquisite. The prettiest I have ever, ever seen. If it is okay with Sunshine, I'll snap a photo of what she sent to me and post it on my blog. Is it okay with you Sunshine?

I love having this thread....APRON STRINGS...I guess in one way we are bound together by our love of aprons and those are not binding strings but rather gentle common threads that run through all of our lives!

Oh, before I forget, Sunshine, I found and have ordered some heart shaped mother of pearl buttons for you. They probably won't be here until next week sometime. I'll let you know when I send them out. The button samplers were done by Kathy of the Enchanted Woods. She is a really sweet person, a real farmgirl!

Oh, and Cheryl I hope you enjoy your few moments of silence! Andrea was living in my favorite junk shop not long ago. The same place where I found all of that rick rack. She was less than $30. A steal as far as I'm concerned. I have more than gotten my money's worth for her already. My girls love to get the scrap box out and dress Andrea too. They have come up with some very unique designs!

Well gotta run. Thinking of driving over to Barnes and Nobles for a while, have a latte' and read...what else? Sewing books! LOL

Later my friends,
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
Yes send buttons to sunshine, I already sent some and the lace I received in return was beautiful. I told her I would send more buttons, but not to send me anymore lace, it was just to nice.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
cheryl,
mother of pearl button tend to be whiteish in color but they can be died. They are made from sea shells so they kind of have a pearlynes to them ( I actually use mother of pearl buttons and abalone buttons) they tend to break or fracture of slivers if chipped the top sometimes is white while the back looks like the outside of a shell. This is not a very good description as I have not really thought of what they look like I just know them when I see them. They can have one, two, four, or more holes they can have a shank or not. Best bet is to google mother of pearl button.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 13 2006 5:15:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
aunt george

Go ahead and post pictures I don't mind some farm girls might think it neat. And thank you for more buttons. I'll watch for them and your other packages. I will let you know when they get here.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 13 2006 4:09:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I just did a search to see what mother of pearl buttons look like and there seem to be so many varieties. I kind of thought they'd be the shiny, pearlish looking buttons but thought there'd be a particular type button. I'll go through mine and see what I can find. In the meantime if any of you have any thoughts on what kind of buttons in particular are what I should be looking for let me know. I'll be checking back on here off and on. Still haven't gotten back to my apron. I think I must be ADD, way too easily distracted! I started dusting off the jars of buttons on a cabinet in my kitchen and then putting little colored bottles in my kitchen window sill and then noticed I still hadn't finished the dishes from last nights big dinner and on and on....
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, I saw your last post after I posted. Thank you for the description. I know what you mean, some things are really tough to describe. I'll look through my tins and bottles. It'll be fun, must be the girl in me, love to look through tins of buttons!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  4:26:52 PM  Show Profile
I love buttons too. I have jars of them. I save all of the see through glass jars that we use and fill them with sewing notions. I did put two buttons on the apron I finished today.

Now Cheryl, get busy with that apron! LOL.....I bet your little glass bottles look wonderful! Oh, I posted some fairy poems that I wrote over in the reading room. My poems are written for little children though. Sunshine said I can snap a photo of the handmade lace she sent to me. I'll do that and post it on my blog!

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  7:58:23 PM  Show Profile
Girls...

I found this article from an apron blog!
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/exeter/04212006/currents/98934.htm

Here's the blog... in case you want to read more.
http://ameliasaprons.com/blog/?cat=1

I just ordered a pattern from ebay for a neat apron... It's from a designer at Paisley Pincushion... http://www.paisleypincushion.com/apron-sewing-patterns.html I got the busy bias pattern. I like her others too.

I hope to get some time to actually sew tomorrow or the next day!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  9:51:50 PM  Show Profile
Kim,
Thanks so much for the apron links! Sunshine, I saw your lace on Georgann's site and she's right, it's beautiful! Georgann, I think you said you have some apron links to post? I'm very close to actually finishing my apron. Georgann, how on earth do you make so many aprons? You must have an incredible amount of energy!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  04:47:29 AM  Show Profile
I usually don't sleep very well, so I stay up and sew, or wake up at, I know this sounds odd, either 3:15 or 4:11 every day. I guess my internal clock is a bit haywire. I'm also just a fast seamstress and have a room set up just right so I have easy access to my serger and my sewing machine. My ironing board is always set up and my threads, notions etc are easy to get to, so those things really save time. I always have to be doing something. Even when recovering from hand surgery, I had to be doing! LOL...but I am actually not a type A personality. LOL

Now I think of Sunshine and her crochet...she must have hands that fly over that thread. I can't even hold that fine of thread in my fingers to keep the tension on while crocheting. It takes me forever to crochet something.

I have to go into the hospital today...not as a patient...to get paperwork done for my new job. Starting back in the hospital next week. Leaving my homecare nurse position, I've been hired in as a Charge Nurse for a Med/Surg unit that I used to work on. So I'll talk to ya'll later today. I'm looking forward to seeing your apron Cheryl, Oh, and I LOVE the apron pattern you ordered from that site. I have been wondering where to get that pattern. I saw it made up on another site and loved it. I think it will take 4 yards to do it. Gotta get going and feed and dress the girls. They can't miss that school bus today!

Love and hugs,
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile
SUNSHINE
Got your package ready to mail, will send it out tomorrow, Thursday. Don't know how I came to have all these mother of purl buttons, but am so glad you can use them.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Nancy thank you for the buttons I will watch for them
Cfloche thank you for the compliment
Aunt George yes I don't sleep much either. I usually go to bed between 2 and 3 and get up between 6 and 8. I can actually crochet with a 15 and 16 kook ( these are special hand made hooks that are smaller than the smallest you can buy in a usual store. I also can crochet with that size hook on size 100 tatting thread and sewing thread. A little insain. I taught myself to crochet 10 years ago because I could not fined lace mitts ( gloves for a new born baby) I wanted my daughter to have lace mitts at her baby blessing so I taught myself to crochet and draft patterns using size 50 thread and a 12 hook. Never looked back since. ( funny thing is I went to the store telling them I wanted the smallest thread and smallest hook they had once I told the lady there what I was doing she handed me those supplies and told me I would fail , she didn't give me what I asked for but I didn't know that at the time) First she didn't givc me my request but still I succeeded) then 1 month later I taught myself to needle tat then took a class two weeks after that took shuttle tatting class then 1 month after that I took bobbin lace classes, and needle lace classes and so on. I can't stand not to be doing something. I am now the only person Heindselman's recomends for repairing lace. Yes I have yet to find someone that crochets faster than me plus I can just look at items now and draft patterns from them. I am a visual person I went to collage as an art major and have AA in Fine art and a BA in fine art and a minor in art history. Not a typical person I remember my family could not believe any one would want to go to collage to do art. I didn't care I was enjoying my life and what I was doing. Just a little about me.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 14 2006 08:33:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  09:10:13 AM  Show Profile
SUNSHINE,
You are indeed very gifted to be able to do such fine itty bitty work. I don't think there are many around now that can to that fine tatting. What is Heindlselmans?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  09:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Heindselman's is the oldest yarn and knit shop in the united states. They are in their 100th plus 1 or 2 years Not sure on the number of years in business. It is a family owned business ( not my family but it has been owned buy 3 or four generations of one family). Any one that knits or crochets or needle workers in Utah typically knows about this store this is where I learned tatting and started bobbin lace and needle lace. I have now surpassed my teacher and he takes classes from me every now and again pretty funny we get a good laugh out of it.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 14 2006 09:15:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! what a story! I'm telling you farmgirl friends, Sunshine's lace is museum quality.....the absolute best. It amazes me how anyone could hold tension on that fine of thread while crocheting it! Wowzers!!!! I might try taking another photo with the lace rolled out next to a penny so ya'll can see just how fine this lace is!

Had to go to work...well new job health exams...today, so no new aprons yet, but the day is not over! Hehehehehe

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  11:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Georgann, were you talking about the pattern I used for the apron I finally finished last night? I got it from a quilt shop in Renton (south of Seattle) but the company that made the pattern is a quilt store near there. At "Pieces" in Renton they had the apron made up in like 1940's materials, looked pretty cute. The pattern isn't on your typical thin pattern material, it's more like newsprint paper? There's one on there to make for a little girl too. If I only had a little girl! I have 2 little grandson's, 6 and 8yrs old, who I love to pieces but I've been trying to get their parents to have another baby. My son is in the Army, got back recently from a year in South Korea and is now based in Savannah, Georgia. His wife, Melissa, is moving down there in 2 weeks with their boys.

Sunshine, you are amazingly gifted! I have tried crocheting with regular yarn and just do not get it. When I get to the end of a row and then start the next row I've messed it up. I want to start another apron or work on the other 2 I cut out last week or maybe even start the Gingerbread Man apron but I need to go over to my Dad's and get him to help make a small chicken house so I can get my 5 Black Silkies outside. They're growing more everyday and they're in a large bin in my living room. My son and I were watching Dial M for Murder last night (old Alfred Hitchcock movie) and the Silkies kept standing on their water bottle and peering out over the edge at us. Luckily I've got wire over the top or they'd be out of there and wandering around the house.
Cheryl

Edited by - CFlohe on Jun 14 2006 12:40:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
If you have problems at the end of the row in crocheting it is typicly one of two problems either you go into the first stich which is usually skiped which makes your piece longer by one stich or you don't go into the turning stitch at the end of the row making you work smaller by one stitch each row.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 14 2006 2:01:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  4:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine,

I think it's wonderful that you went to college for fine arts. Can't wait to get a look at your lace. Can't see it here at work. Wish I had known back then. I'm in school again, but not for things I'm really interested in. So - girlfriends - after I finish up next spring, that's it. From now on I'm going to take classes in whatever I like: welding, fabric arts, creative writing, you name it.

Cheryl:

Loved reading about your Silkies peeking over the edge of the bin. Made me chuckle.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  5:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Good for you Blueroses
I think people should go to collage to learn what they want to learn not what they are told to learn. People use to tell me I was in collage to get my MRS. Degree. Use to make me so mad. I did get married while in collage but earned two AA degrees 1 BA degree and 1 minor. People use to tell me collage is expensive go to collage to learn to make money. I always told them I go to collage to learn not to make money. Any one can make money and since most people do not make money in their choosen field of study from collage I thought it silly that people assumed that going to collage is how you make money. You make money by using your mind not by a collage education. I know lots of people who are multi millionaries who never went to collage I also know some who did go to collage ( university) but they are not making money in there collage field. Learning is always good the day I stop learning new things on earth is the day I die then I will learn new things in heaven. So you go girl learn everthing you can and want to know If you get a degree good if not good. My husband is the bread winner in the family and you know what he was earning a 6 year degree and is 3 classes from the end and stopped going to collage 8 years ago. He will probably never get that degree and neither of us cares he is doing what he likes to do and that is most important in life. Heavenly father sent his children to earth to learn and grow and have trials. He didn't send us here to get degrees and the like. That is a man made concept. All parents want their children happy most people are happy with more knowledge not less as they can see what future choices can have an end result of. Do what is best for you and those around you. My husband loves the stuff I make I still do art I am still in my field of study because my field of study was my hobbies and there by it was what I loved not what I hated.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 14 2006 5:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile
You're so right Sunshine, my sister's daughter graduated from college and is now working in a restaurant. My ex-husband didn't even get farther than 9th grade but he is one of the smartest, most talented people I know in anything he chooses to learn about which has been mostly remodeling homes. We got married when we were 17 and divorced when we were 34 but we're still friends. I have pretty strong opinions about schooling. People usually just learn what they have to in order to pass the tests. People, children or adults, should learn about what interests them so they keep their love of learning. I wish I had been homeschooled. I would have loved to have learned about cooking, canning, sewing, etc, all the things I love now. Debbie, I think it's great that you're going to take classes in all the things you're interested in. Life is so short.

I never did get to my Dad's today to make the temporary chicken house. It was raining and I've been cleaning some things out. Started out looking for the end cap to a window shade for my son's room and that ended up with my cleaning out the utility closet, never did find the end cap! Later I wanted to find the sewing machine my Mom gave me so I started looking in this huge closet upstairs, basically goes from one end of the house to my room, ended up doing some cleaning out in there, never found the sewing machine!! Now I'm obsessed with finding it! I can't imagine I would have put it in the pole barn, hope I don't have to go up there, that's a worse mess than the big closet. I guess I'll go up and look in the other end of the closet which is my 16yr old son's closet in his room. He'll have a cow that I'm in his room but I've got to find that sewing machine!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile
I went to take a picture of the finished apron last night and found out my husband took the camera to Seattle this week. Until a few days ago I had a newer camera but had to take it back because I kept getting error messages when it powered on saying the memory card door was open. I'm hoping to pick up a new camera today. I did cut out 2 new aprons out of a material that's blue with apples on it, hard to explain but it's cute. The material I've been using lately is very country but I love the material from the 30's, 40's, 50's. I just thought I should use some of the material that I've got for now. Better get busy, you all have a good day!
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron Strings Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page