Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I want to learn to sew
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I want to learn to sew Next Topic  

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile
I want to learn to sew, by hand and by machine. I have never done much of either, and the very little I did was pitiful. So, I know practice makes perfect and all that, and I am going to do that. However, any suggestions on the best places to start? Tips? Techniques? I know there are classes, I just don't know where to find them. There are not any craft stores in my town, but there are about 30 minutes north of me. With the kids and my schedule, taking classes would not be feasible, so I am probably going to have to self-teach. So, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
[blue]I would suggest that you start with one of the patterns designed specifically for beginners. Simplicity has a line called Sewing for Dummies and the first pattern that I pulled up was a really cute apron. Make sure you read the whole pattern and pattern envelop before you start sewing. Some of the terms may be a little mysterious but usually the graphics are so good in the instructions that you can keep track of what you are doing. Both Butterick and McCalls have patterns that say they are easy but I don't think they are really for the rank beginner.

I would also suggest that you read everything you can get your hands on. There are lots of books out there and there are also great web sites that can be found by using a search engine. I have also recently found a magazine called Sew Simple that seems to be geared toward the beginning seamstress.

Sewing is not rocket science, if you can follow a recipe, I don't know any reason you couldn't sew.

The web site for Simplicity is simplicity.com and to look at McCall and Butterick patterns, the web site is mccall.com

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  1:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Melissa, when I saw Richmond as your address, my heart skipped a beat. I thought, I'll teach you, but it is Richmond KY not Richmond, VA. LOL

Check your fabric stores and the local community college. They sometimes have community courses...non credit classes. Often times they have sewing classes.

If you have a local church, ask around I bet there is an older woman (or young one) that might know how to sew and would be willing to teach you.

Anyway,
Goodluck. It is a great lifelong endeavor!
Georgann

Edited by - Aunt George on Jul 04 2006 1:06:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  10:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definately check out those web-sites, Kathy. I am going to look into classes, it just depends on if I can arrange around my schedule, kids, and money.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  04:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa! I am learning to sew (better) now too. One of my fav websites is www.craftster.org/forum. Scroll down til you see the clothing section and then click on "completed projects: general." IN this section, there are tons of people who are deconstructing what they see at stores and making it themselves without the patterns. If you check the tutorials list in that same section, you'll find loads of tutorials showing how to make something based on your own personal size and shape. It's worth looking at, and I think that learning something by making your own pattern up is really handy.

Good luck!
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  06:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Kim you website sounded interesting but says it does not exist. Is it spelled wrong? I'd love to go there and learn to do my own patterns. Have been trying to teach myself this for awhile.
Thanks teddie
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  06:38:13 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I tried the web-site also, and it said that it doesn't exist.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  08:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Try http://www.craftster.org/forum/

There was a period at the end that didn't belong there.
:) Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  10:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Melissa -- if you have a nearby library go check out some books on sewing. Things that will give you the very basics. You can teach yourself to do it. Get some very inexpensive cotton fabric and practice sewing the fabric together. Do this until you feel comfortable with your machine, the way it sews, etc. Then go get a very easy pattern. The instructions will be in there to show you how to cut it out. Again -- I would use inexpensive fabric for your first one. Then if you make a mistake it's not so bad. There are lots of excellent seamstresses here and we will guide you through it. I am so glad that you are going to take up sewing. It is so much fun to do. Another good place for instruction is the sewing forum on About.com. Lots of beginners instructions but free easy patterns to download. Can't wait to hear about your first project.

"But as for me & my house we will serve the LORD!" Joshua 24:15

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Kay, thanks so much. My mom has a sewing machine that she bought new and it hasn't been used more than once or twice. She said that I can have it anytime that I want it. I want to try sewing by hand, also, so I am going to try to teach myself that first, and then the machine, I think! I had thought about finding some clothes around here that nobody can wear anymore, cut them up, or just remove the seams, and just try some basic stitching, and then go for a pattern.
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Kim, that link works! I added it to my favorites list so I can browse later.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I want to learn to sew Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page