delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good recipe for apple pie filling that I could make in jars to give as presents?
delicia

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm, Mom has the yummiest recipe in her Ideabook (pg. 135). I made a dozen jars this fall, I figure I can either gift the jars themselves and/or make a few apple pies here and there. I've already made three pies with the filling. MmmMmm!

If you need an early (autographed) Christmas present and don't already own the Ideabook you can order it directly from us, get a few jars and some apples and you've got Christmas covered!

Happy canning!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:23:32 AM  Show Profile
Here's the recipe we used this fall.

4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt
10 cups water
6 lbs apples

Peel, core, and slice apples. Mix with lemon juice to keep their color. In large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. If you cook this too long, it will have more of a white color from the cornstarch, I like to remove it from the heat before it gets to that point so the color is nice and brown.

Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.

Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 headspace. Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife. (We actually packed jars 1/2 with apples, put in some syrup and then packed more apples in. You want to pack as many apples as possible.)

Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.

I've made a few pies with these jars of apple pie filling and they are great. SO easy! I have a recipe for a pie crust you can make ahead and stick in the freezer if you need it. I pull out the pie crust, let thaw, roll out, pour in the jar of apple pie filling, roll out top crust and stick it in the oven. An hour or so later you have a yummy apple pie. :)

I plan on giving some as Christmas gifts as well. Along with some apple butter. Have fun!

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  3:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Delicia, you can find my apple pie filling and pie crust recipe at my website below on the blog. There are also pictures for step by step instructions. The direct link is:
http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?cat=76 The apple pie filling is the first one and the pie crust recipe is the last one. I use my recipe for peaches too and make peach pie filling. Have fun!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  09:48:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. I am excited to give them all a shot. I do have the idea book and love it.

d
Go to Top of Page

Freilly
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Fran
Roulette PA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  5:39:23 PM  Show Profile
when the apple crop is good we make boiled cider (not really boiled, just evaporated some), it will look like jelly and you can use it that way, but it makes a great 'secret ingredient' in apple pie filling.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile
here's a link to another thread where recipes were shared with me for my pie filling
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46754

Farmgirl #800

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple Pie Filling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page