shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:07:44 AM  Show Profile

I haven't posted for a bit-as you can see we've enter the uninspiring part of Spring. The view from my Kitchen window is less than steller most days. Add to that the local Hawk that has take residence in one of the trees and most days there are pieces parts in the yard. Thankfully my groom polices them in the wee dark hours with a flashlight prior to my rising and sending the dogs out. I have started seeds...the MaryJane way in mini green houses made from takeout containers and soon will transplanting and taking them to the cold frames. But for right now I ponder the view from my window. I am lucky I work for a John Deere dealer and can rent any peice of equipment to bring home and complete any task myself. My issue is my beau...he is a Scenery Designer and we can't agree. I picture formal,yet shabby four squares with a repurposed cottage in the center...he not so much. So for now I work on other items. Like this weekends projects and since my view is dismal I will share my projects instead.

Angel one of the other gals in my chapter and I have decided to try to make our own cheese. However, a cheese press was around $150.00 to $200.00 so last week I made a protype press. Tomorrow she will stop by and we will make about 4 more or 2 for each of us. We are going to make Italian and Cheddar. I used to say it always good to have a fellow enabler...now I just say to my husband " the Farmgirls and I are getting together to work on a badge" and all is good!
-

As I work on these and other projects around the inside my mind is always thinking about getting outdoors,getting the clean up completed and turning over the soil. Drawing up a new plan and making my purchases or scouting for reuse items. As I toil at Great Grandmom old kitchen table(and thinking about planting potatoes) above and look out the window I dream about what could be. Tell me what are you working on in the tween time? What project large, small are you going to take on this year? Will you add art to your view this year? Blog and let me know...I would like to share if anyone has a four square garden that they rotate with the groom. Blessing.

Love will make a way out of no way. -Lynda Barry

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Marybeth, I love the view that you have!

We have a corner kitchen window that used to look over a deck and then onto quite a wide angle of our property including the horse pasture, the flower garden and now even the corn crib chicken coop. Several years ago we added a sunroom where the deck was. The sunroom consists of 3 walls of windows - the 4th wall is the red brick of our house. Thankfully, my view remains the same - I just have to see it through a bit more glass.

I just realized, I do have some photos of different angles of that view on my blog. In Feb. I posted a Snowy Winter Wonderland Post. The pics can be seen there if you want to check it out.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
(site, blog & etsy shop)

Edited by - Forrester Farm on Mar 05 2011 11:08:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  5:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Ann,
I checked out your blog and it was lovely and so is your sunroom. In my old house I had a sunroom like that...when it would snow at night I would turn off the inside lights and turn on the outside lights-it made me feel like I lived inside a snow globe. You have a lovely peice of heaven in Belmont. It must have been alot of hard work but just lovely. Post some more pics when you are able.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile
It has been awhile since I have posted. The view outside the kitchen window has not changed that much. Yesterday was wonderful. 60's fake out here in Chicago. I uncovered the Adirondeck chairs we made last year from recycled deck word. And pulled down the cold frames from the attic and placed them on top of my raised bed. My Groom and I have decided to work on remodeling the kitchen this year and wait for the outdoors so what I have done today Is take two pictures of the outside of my kitchen windows and for the next year live vicariously through you and your views. I know since we are planing on completing everything ourselves from floors (there are two to take up) to ceilings there won't be much time for other hobbies. We did have two visitors today...so exciting living next to the Fox River. Please keep sharing as things start to bloom!

Happy Spring

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  12:15:13 PM  Show Profile
I have got to get some new pictures on here. But this is a view looking toward my kitchen window instead of out of it. And this is what I see alot of. Monkeys! Ain't she cute hanging there upside down? That's actually a goat kid play tree. But a 2 legged kid decided it was fun too.

Cheryl, have you tried the cheese press out yet? That looks really good. I hope you get some good cheese/ I have tried a home made press before and it worked great. Then I bought a small one from Hoeggar.

I love all the pictures! Now for some Spring pictures.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Lovvvve the monkey! We made a couple of presses. I made one first which is my MO so that I am sure that I can explain to the others how to make them as I am a chapter leader but just one other was interested. Angel-who is so sweet-had illness in the family so we got pushed a week behind. But we each made 2 presses. Ordered a basic kit online, read and now tomorrow we will make cheese. I am so excited and so is she. So about the time my kitchen remodel is done we can have a wine and cheese tasting party complete with the aged homemade cheddar I am making! My home is a mess and it is a horrible feeling of disorganization, we have found 2 floors,2 wall, but we are trying to recycle and have fun. My tomato starts are doing well-can you believe we had snow-flurries here in IL this week. Mother nature has a wicked sense of humor don't you think? If you live in a warmer climate and your garden is waking up please PLEASE post some picture!

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  6:08:09 PM  Show Profile
I looked out my kitchen window and I can see the buds swelling on my two lilac bushes. With the sun shinning behind them they look like they are glowing. Ah. . . .spring is about to burst upon us. Hallelujeh

"When you get to the end of your rope, you tie a knot and hang on."
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  10:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds exciting. I have short shoots of spring popping thier heads up. Last night the girls and Yes, we have one Mary "Jim" made cold frames from my chapter. I can't wait to get mine going when I get home today. I will post some pics this weekend. We have the best group ever. I have to find out what everyone is going to plant this year...Please share!!!!! Remi what do you do with your lilac's?

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  05:26:00 AM  Show Profile

This is out of my kitchen window in the mornings..

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  10:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful sunrise. I sit on my deck but it does not have a view like yours!

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Thought you might like to see what I am looking at through my kitchen window this morning.
Is it really spring?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  09:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kim is it really still snowing? We sure have had an odd year of weather haven't we. I am greatful today it is warm enough to throw open the windows. The only thing left in my kitchen is the sink...which I will loose next week. The house smells like remodel and I am grateful to get some fresh air in.
Kim, What kind of tree's are those? And tell me do you plant anything around your deck? It must be lovely to enjoy sunrise on the deck when it is warm!

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it really snowed over night. It is starting to melt now but the sky is still gray and we are supposed to have more storms through tomorrow. It really had been a little warmer earlier in the week and the grass is greening up. The daffodils are perfect in our area right now. I'm not exactly sure what kind of trees we have. When we moved in we were told they thought they were poplars. They were small when we moved in and then we rented the house for 9 years and moved back last year to big trees. They are soft wood and in a wet year they drop a lot of "cotton" in June. We learned that by having my daughters wedding reception in our backyard last June and it almost looked like it was snowing! Nothing planted around the deck but that is my goal this year. Any suggestions? It is north facing.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  10:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Kim,
Wow - sounds just lovely. We have a cotton wood that is super large two homes away. Now some of my neighbors don't care for it. I tell you I love this tree. It like blowing on a million dandylions and having them fly around. Its so much fun and to short lived. I asked about the deck because my groom Chas and I redid our deck a year ago too...I planted a few things to climb to give us a little privacy but we sort of ran out of time. We are also North facing and almost up to the neighbors yard...there is a skinny path and I hang some pots with flowers from a fence. Mary Jane had picked that picture out for a contest. I need to find something compact to go at the base of the deck too. Does anyone have any suggestions for us out there?

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  5:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't know about you girls but here in the Windy City it was like Summer yesterday. It was in the 80's and sort of muggy. I thought it was wonderful. If you have been reading this Post you know we are currently undertaking a remodel so not to much is going on outside my kitchen window. Yesterday was to lovely to stay in doors and when the hubs said to get the dogs out from underfoot I ran out to the garden! I started to build a espalier for my roses. I used eye hooks and laundry wire. I also took my tomato starts and placed them outside under my cold frames. I was also lucky enough to take a short nap Farmgirl style with my boys outside.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  4:08:50 PM  Show Profile

This is what greeted me the other morning when I opened the kitchen door. What a good morning greeting!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle and Kristen...what adorable pictures outside your doors! Love IT!!!

Thanks for sharing,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Peg,
How many are there? What a lovely way to start the day!!! Do they greet you everyday? Oh, that is so wonderful and thank you so much for sharing. Names you must have names do share.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  09:07:05 AM  Show Profile

Not the prettiest view looking out, but all my little baby seedlings enjoy that south window! Not very nice out today, cold and rain and snow!
April in Wisconsin!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile
I heard a big rukkus out back the other day. The crows in the neighborhood were going crazy. I looked out my kitchen window and saw a huge hawk. He was making the crows very upset. The picture does not show how large he is, but he could carry off a small dog!

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Excellent picture Diane! We have some here...did you know they never leave the area? That is what I was told. We have a few babies. I know your furbabies are large but they can carry away a small dog. Did anyone know what kind of hawk it is? Is this the first time you have seen it? Well, the good news is you garden will be bunny free this year if this hawk does stay in the area. I can tell its large -just look at the size conpared to the roof pipe! Try to snap some more and well see if we can identify it.

Cheryle is Farmgirl #604
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  4:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Kristin and Diane- Love the photos- as I said in the shutterbug section- I just love the way the photos add to this already great place! You are all inspiring me to get my camera out, figure out how to load pictures here and get going!
Thanks for sharing!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  2:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I love all of your pictures. You all live in beautiful places. I am in Santa Cruz, CA. My photos are from last summer. I live in the city and have a small plot of land, but I keep adding more and more edible stuff to my yard each year.

Front Yard View

Backyard View

Urban-Farmgirl Sister #2173

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah,
Your little plot is to die for! Thanks for sharing.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Veiws from the kitchen window Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page