LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  01:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Loven The Snow Pictures Girls! They say we might see a little this coming week.
Usually we get winter RAIN and a lot of it. Snow would be nice but I like the
kind that leaves in a day or two. Being raised in Montana and Spokane, WA I have
seen enough snow to last me two life times. But it is always pretty and fresh and
clean and looks like a Currier and Ives Picture...when it first snows and I love
that!

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
http://www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com/PeggySmithsStudio.html#

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  07:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Cheryle, I live in a small town. I asked at city hall before I got my chickens and they said it was okay as long as they didn't disturb the neighbors. I only have hens because I figured a rooster would disturb the neighbors. My coop is a small dog pen with a cover over the top. I can move it around the yard to keep fresh grass in the pen. I don't know the type I have it was just what ever they had at the feed store. Two of them are black and white almost spotted looking and the other two are copper colored. Someone else may know what type they are.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  5:19:34 PM  Show Profile
This is the view from my kitchen window today! We live in the north Georgia mountains, had about 12 inches of snow and a White Christmas!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  5:20:17 PM  Show Profile
Ladies -Thank you for your postings. Tonight it was dark when I arrived home I decided tomorrow I would take one from my kitchen window at work...you all will get a real good laugh at that one trust me. Now Cathrine I just love that you have these hens! Our little town is so very strict...there is a fee for everything, the dog, the alarm, the sprinkler system- lordy I have to hire a plumber every year to turn it on and certifiy it...no hens for me but I admire the gals who do have them and I will make new friends to be sure!!! Do you keep them just for the eggs?
Cathrine- your photo's are lovely. If I had a view like that it would be hard for me to get any work done. I hope you will send more pics as the season changes- what kind of birds to you get at your feeder? I am new to bird watching but love my visitors. Thank you so much ladies...its been so busy at work today you each made my day!

Passive people do not lead passionate lives.
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  5:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Harold my Hootowl is collecting snow today and lots of it.

And so is the Hose reel.

funny they say rain and the 50's by the weekend -sounds like a heatwave!

Ruth- I am shocked by your photos that have just come up. To tell the truth I didn't think you got that much snow/or any snow in GA? But what a lovely picture. Can your area handle that much snow or does everyone slightly loose thier mind? Please send more and let us know if it continues to snow. Just lovely and thank you so very much for sharing your precious view.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  10:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Loving all the Photo's!

Ruth...you really got a lot of SNOW...but it is Beautiful!

Cheryle...I love your Hootowl...snow and all!

blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  1:25:36 PM  Show Profile

This is the little fish pond in our front yard. The photo is not too clear, but you can tell we have had lots of snow! We do have some snow plows in our county, but we are very rural and live in the mountains, so they tend to do only main roads. The snow is finally melting off the roads, so tomorrow should be good to get out! We had a total of about 12 inches at our house. We live about 7 miles from Tennessee and 20 miles from Murphy, NC.
Our 3 little dogs love to go out and play in the snow - so much fun!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi again, I forgot to tell ya'll about our birds! We have so many different types, goldfinches, pine siskens,nut hatches, chickadee, titmouse, red belly woodpeckers, downey woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, brown thrasher, blue jay, cardinals, juncko, blue birds, robins, wrens, Piliated woodpecker (huge bird!), migrating we have: rose breasted grosbeaks, scarlet tangers, indigo buntings, then in the Summer we have lots of hummingbirds! Think that about sums up our yard birds. We feed Lots of black oil sunflower seeds, and thistle seeds. Also have doves. we feed mixed seed and suet as well! We Love all our birds - will send photo's of them too!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Ruth...I love birds too and I live right in front of a Natural Bird Reserve. They have microphones in the woods to pick up their different bird calls and songs. One of the Colleges I believe studies them. But we do not have the variety that you do. That is just awesome!!! But I love Spring Time when the migrating birds come to the Reserve...they wake me each morning with their beautiful songs. Just thrills my soul!

Your fish pond looks like a Winter Christmas Bell! Deep Snow! Keep posting pictures they are beautiful. Would love to see some of your birds also!

blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Ruth! Thank you for the lovely picture and telling us all about your birds!!!! I have this little shop right here in the center by my house called the Wild Bird Center and I am just getting into birds. Not only do I love to sit and watch the feeder but so do my two dogs! Your water feature looks lovely with all the snow and I am glad you are all safe and sound. I took a quick picture from the kitchen window at work and thought I'd share it today as promised. I know the boys in the yard thought I lost my mind but in a separate post I'll share some others.

And the left hand view

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Cheryle and Peggy, Thanks for your photo's - love the equipment! My great grand son would be thrilled to see that!
Sending a couple more photo's of my birds - Downey Woodpecker at the suet feeder and a bunch of goldfinches and pine siskens on the thistle feeder. Hope you enjoy!

I'm sorry the one is sideways, tried to fix it, but didn't work!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Here are some others I took today. The boys in the yard just laugh but I love to take my photos.

As you can tell I work in rather large equipment sales.

Many of our peices are still working hard to remove snow.
This is the same peice that is pictured as the view from the breakroom kitchen window by the way! It is just a pretty new front grill with some Christmas docor via Cheryle aka Missy!

Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Ruth - I can't believe you get all of those birds at one time! You must have some special mix in that thing please share the recipe!!! I am taken back that they all feed at one time. Does that happen all of the time? Maybe I have been in the city for just too long. I am lucky if I get one or two at a time and my birds are rather polite. One will wait until the current eater is done and then leaves. Maybe two but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that except for Rome and that Is a whole story in itself.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Cheryle...love the Big Equipment Pictures!!! Too Funny and so adorable! Thanks for sharing them even if the boys at work laughed at you and your camera! Just tell them that we Ladies are easily delighted with the little things in life...like the Views from Kitchen Windows...no matter whose Kitchen or where! lol

Ruth...I don't think I see that many birds at once in the Reserve! That is amazing! I agree with Cheryle you must have "Some Kind Of Seed Mix" going there girlfriend! lol

Smiles and Hugs,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  06:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls, That was a small group of birds in that photo! Really, you should see them when they cover the rails of the deck and cover the bird feeders all at the same time. We have more birds than you can imagine! We feed them thistle seed, that is what is in the tubes and black oil sunflower seeds. The thing with the goldfinches and pine siskens, is they can sit there all day long and crack seeds and eat them. The poor little Chickadees and Titmouse have to get a seed, leave to crack it on something, then come back to get another one. We also have feeders in our front yard, so hopefully those birds will get to eat! The finches are such "piglets"! They will cover all four of those seed bags at one time, with more flying around trying to fit into a tiny space. Wish you could see them in person. We go through a lot of birdseed! Also have a heated water dish for them, and they will line up all around that too! They do drink from our little waterfall in the pond, but right now it is quite icy, but the water is still flowing. The fish are fine too! They sort of "hibernate" in the Winter, just kind of hang out. If we get some warm days, I'll give them some food, but otherwise they don't eat in the winter. We also have 3 small doggies and 1 kitty!
and aquarium with fresh water fish. Keeps us busy :)
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile
Ruth...you have quite a menagerie at your house! Instead of Violetrose we should re-name you the Bird Lady or just Ladybird! lol Your goldfinch are big. My son has thousands of small finch in the trees in his yard in town. On Christmas I went out his back door to potty my dog and I thought it was snowing...but when I looked closer it was small wood-chips that the Finch were pecking off the trees. They must have been digging for bugs or something...but anyway there were thousands of them...so it did look like brown snow flakes a flyen as fast as they could go. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen.

We live in a rural community and so we see a lot of barn owls, snow owls once in awhile, a lot of hawks, osprey,eagles, Stellar-jays, blue jays, humming-birds, robins, starlings, wood-peckers, huge crows, magpies etc etc. We had a wood-pecker out here who must have gotten brain-damage or at least an accordion shaped beak because for days he kept pecking on a metal light pole. lol He drove us all nuts for about a week. We have ducks and their babies in the yard, deer families, lots of squirrels. So, like you we have a great time watching them. They provide such a warm and wonderful variety of entertainment...but we are forbidden to feed any of them because we live in a Senior Estates right in the middle of all this gorgeous forest and farmland but they don't want us attracting the birds...because they don't want to clean up after them. Last spring some of the smaller birds made nests on our decks...usually in flower pots or planters and one Hummingbird built her nest on one of my neighbors Wind Chimes. We had more fun watching those babies hatch. That was the smallest nest I have ever seen. So darling! They sure don't stay in their nests long after they hatch. I think they were all gone in just a couple weeks after hatching. Momma wastes no time getting those babies out and flying.

Have a good day watching your wild-life!
Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Dec 29 2010 09:41:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  11:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, I can't imagine not being able to feed "my" birds! They bring us so much joy and entertainment. The woodpecker pecking on the metal pole was trying to attract a mate! Yes, they actually do that in the Sping. They used to beat up our gutters and the metal around our fireplace, would wake you up very early in the morning, to what sounded like a jack hammer tearing our house down! They are too funny! We have the piliated woodpecker, the biggest of them all, talk about noise in the Spring! They sure are handsome though.
I need to go out and fill up our feeders, they are about less than half full - and yes they do make a mess, but I'll clean it up!
Well, my friend, I need to go feed the birds and get to my sewing machine, have a couple of projects I'm working on!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  1:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, we got about 6" here. The ground is still covered. It's getting slippery where we've walked on it. So I am being very careful. I sure don't want to fall right now. My Mom said it was snowing down in Metter which is nearly to Savannah. It's still freezing cold here. I wish I could get pictures on here. It was really pretty yesterday with the sun shining on the snow. It looked like God had sprinkled glitter all over on it. So pretty. Are you able to get out now?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say I am loving these pretty pictures.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, Yes, we have been able to get out, but only because we have the 4 wheel drive Toyota Truck! Otherwise we would not have made it home from Danette's house on the 26th! I have photo's of that ride, it was something else! Maybe I should post a couple here!
I was so thankful to be home safe!
I think tomorrow I'll be able to get out in the car, going to meet a friend for lunch, if not I'll take the truck LOL!
When are you going to be able to head over my way? Sure do want a visit from you:) http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Snitz/Images/142.JPG" border="0">
first photo is our road the other photo is of Hunter Kitty with his Christmas collar! He loved wearing it - really!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  4:58:39 PM  Show Profile
OK, I'll try again with Hunter Kitty's photo - he is now sitting on my lap trying to help me - yea right :)

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  8:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, I am so glad y'all got home safe. I can't do much right now. I have Kansas the rest of the week. And I am supposed to get a few pigs sometime this week. So it may be a few more weeks. I want to come up so I will let you know when. And what a cute festive kitty. Looks like he can be a handful, all right.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  05:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Kris, We will get together soon! Just do what you have to do! Piggies, how fun! Are you getting babies?
Hunter Boy is really a love bug! He is the sweetest kitty anyone could ever want! He was a rescue from the side of the road, and I think he knows it!
Stay warm and safe - be carefull out there walking! I need to get back to it!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  3:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful pictures ! I don't have a picture looking out the kitchen window. Guess I need to get on that one ! lol !! Ruth.. your Hunter Kitty looks like a real love bug ! The picture of the road frankly terrifies me ! But so thankful you have 4 wheel drive truck to get you around. Take care all...

Hugs...Kristy
"Live like you were dyin'"
Sis #2339
Scattered Prairie Gals Chapter
http://www.myhealingthroughartstory.blogspot.com
My studio Blog- http://www.lostcreekstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shabbyms
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Cheryle
Naperville IL
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  6:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, lovely pictures! I love your kitty. Today everything is melting...tomorrow it is to get upto 55 can you believe it? Yesterday was so lovely, it was one of those days where everything gets a light coat of rain or snow that sticks so when I was driving to the doctors in the morning the trees looks like shiney mirrors. I tell you I could have kicked myself all day for running out the door without my camera. Had I not been off to the doctors instead of just going to work I would have called saying I'd be late and gone back for it. Darn darn darn. The funny this is I have one of those fancy small ones...I just can't figure the darn thing out! Ruth I am glad you have a 4WD it looks like you needed it. Moving to Chi town from Naples, FL I bought a red truck for the winter months and its a stick!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Veiws from the kitchen window Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page