Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 What did you do in homeschooling today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic What did you do in homeschooling today? Next Topic
Page: of 2

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We did a computer program with math,science, and spelling. We also baked cookies. I let her watch some education TV and left it at that today. It was so nice that I let her play outside most of the day.

How was your day?

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  7:32:11 PM  Show Profile
We had to skip homeschool today because of an unexpected passing of a family member, but YESTERDAY it was a full day! We had a pre-algebra test, did a science lab experiment about water and recorded our findings, read about the XYZ affair and the surrounding events in History and answered the chapter questions, wrote a first draft of a composition on pet nutrition, watched a religion program about Advent, read a chapter about Christian art in the catacombs, read about and discussed St. Francis of Assissi, read and discussed a poem called "The Barrel Organ" and a short story called "My Financial Career" from his Literature book, did a unit each in Health and in Pennsylvania studies on the computer, AND had a guitar lesson. That was not a typical day for us - we usually don't do quite so much in a day, but yesterday my son was on a roll, so far be it from me to hold him back. And it worked out well, because today we had to miss school. We will catch up on his missed lessons over the weekend as time permits. I love the flexibility of homeschooling, don't you? :) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  8:02:20 PM  Show Profile
I would love to homeschool my kids. It's been on my mind since my daughter was a newborn and now she's 8 yrs old now. I have four kids. How can I convince my hubby that we should give it a try. I feel like my kids are learning bad habits and the school system is just pushing them through whether they know it or not.

Farmgirl Sister #2361
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  05:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, I miss those days of playing in the snow & baking cookies. Truly. Our home school has been a bit more stressful as my 8 yo's learning difficulties have been wearing.me.down --but that's a different topic (lol). With two teens that have been home schooled since the get go, they do most of their work now at the college or self-study. Usually, though, you'll find math being worked on (College Alg, Pre-Alg, & 5th grade text-- depending on which student we're talking about) or spelling, Latin along with a variety of Lit/Sc/History books. With my littlest being 4, his "school" is da best with craft paper & colored pens. Hoping soon to bake some gingerbread with the young ones while the older ones gobble it down (lol)

RoDonna, probably the best thing you can do in considering home schooling is check out your state's home school laws. Here's a site I came across for KY: http://www.education.ky.gov/KDE/About+Schools+and+Districts/Home+Schooling+in+Kentucky/Kentucky+Home+School+Requirements.html I would also google to find out if there are any local home school support groups in your area & through that, you'll be able to see if there are field trips, events, co-ops, etc. Then I would pop over to your local library & check out a whole bunch of books on home schooling. Those things should get the conversation rolling & give you a better idea if this is something that you want to do or even in a modified way (i.e. doing in conjunction with the schools on weekends or after school). I hope that helps!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  06:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I have some material put out for today. I think that we only have about 20 or so more days for Kindergarden material. I expected to start first grade in Jan. I have to put in second grade math papers. Bri needs the challenge. So I will be looking to start 1st grade in Jan and I am looking into what books/etc that I will be using.

But we might just skip it all today and go to the Kemah Boardwalk on Galveston Bay. It is too nice of a day to stay home!!

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  07:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We just did education games on the computer yesterday. We went to our first meeting of 4-H for homeschoolers, to lunch/dinner, and then to Awanas. So the day was full.

I got my Handbook of Nature. It is a great book and I am decided where to start with Bri for January. I think I am going to start with plants and animals. So I will be planning a trip to the zoo and to the botanical gardens.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  10:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Amy- Oh you will love the nature handbook. I used to schedule just nature days. Here is what I would do...
1 I would give them one thing as an assignment, "find two animals with fur".
2 Draw the animals
3 look up each one and write their scientific name, what they eat,where the live etc.
4 Then they needed to come home and write a story about the animals or leaves or whatever. It could be funny or true or whatever.
Sierra [the only one I still have in school], is nearly done with her geometry, she is doing her algebra thru the internet and we are doing a book of the presidents and she is doing two studies in her history.
I hope you all are doing good and not getting cabin fever!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  1:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Thank you. We decided that we are going to do birds first. I am going to put in a trip to the zoo also so we can find the birds there.

I am having her do a bird "notebook". I have found tons of free color pages by searching by Google.

I also printed out a solar system color book that we are going to color and put on a board as her first science project for the science fair in Feb.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Amy, those are all great projects. One year we did a solar system of card board shapes colored and hung from string on hangers to make the whole system. Then we also did a more elibrate one a couple years later from foam balls of different sizes. Our home used to be covered in finished or on going projects.
Enjoy, they grow up so fast.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  07:27:03 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Are you back to homeschool? We started back on Monday. It was slow going. I figured that it would be after a two week break. We have started 1st grade.

I ordered Modern Curriculum's Spelling Workout, First Language Lessons level one and two. I am planning on getting Horizion Math, and Story of the World and the activity book.

But for now we are reviewing and reading.

Where are you?

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

kcmiller
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Kaye
Muscatine IA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  05:45:05 AM  Show Profile
We started back to school this week too. We began with New Years info as a theme(MMXI), and then it changed to simple machines. I have had the kids (7&5)read about the levers and pulleys etc. and then find examples of those things around the house. Kind of a fun break in the work, but incorporating science as well. I was hoping to finish up today, but both kids are still in bed and one has a fever and sounds croupy. I have a felling it might be a sick day. :(

**How can I keep from singing?**
http://homeschoolblogger.com/4km/

Edited by - kcmiller on Jan 07 2011 05:46:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
This week seems kind of like it fell apart. We did little on Wed because of group and Awanas. Yesterday we did errands. Today we had to take the puppies to the Vet. So we didn't do "school" work much this week.

Bri and Dad were talking about the map during lunch. She wanted to know how long it takes to drive here or there. So I think that counts. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  5:38:30 PM  Show Profile
We have a 13,14 and 16 yo homeschooling. On the weekends we write their assignments in their calendars. Two of them have problems reading. Our daughter, started out very dyslexic and now has issues with her vision tunneling down when she is nervous or anxious. Our 13 yo son's reading has blossomed in the last year but he still has issues with new words.

Anyway, each day they do science. writing, history, math, and reading. Our daughter has a cross word puzzle book that she reads a story and then completes the crossword puzzle to solve the mystery of the story. This has done wonders for her spelling.

Our 16 yo took a class at community college last semester called Introduction to college studies. This semester he can take one class free because he successfully completed the class. So, he is trying to decide what to take.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am now waiting for the spelling and grammer books that I ordered. So we are still working on workbook pages.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  4:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Algebra II is kicking my butt! and my kids' butts. Everything else is great.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile
My 12 yr old has been working in her nature journal,reading Greek Myths, playing sudoku,overseeing her organic egg business, felting, writing emails to friends, practicing piano and reading, reading reading :)

Do you, your children keep Nature Journals?
I have a GIVEAWAY on my blog. Nature Journal Book, Sketchpad and drawing pens!Winner will be drawn on Jan 20th.
http://www.childinharmony.com/2011/01/sculpting-in-snow-and-giveaway.html

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We did the Houston Zoo this past Thursday. We had a really good time. It was a homeschooling day and the kids got lots of hands on classes and stuff.

It was cloudy and looked like it was going to rain. So we almost had the place to ourselves.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We tossed out work and went to Kemah Boardwalk for the day. We ate lunch then watched the seabirds and then we went into the aquarium and fed the stingrays and watched all the fish.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Finished up a report on our visit to Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co. Dad is out of town and didn't get to go with so my daughter emailed him a copy complete with pictures in the appropriate sections of text. Made it feel so much more official to her. ;-)

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad that I made the decision to homeschool. It is wonderful. Lots of work, but wonderful.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  3:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We are using Spelling Workout Book A, different math worksheets and manipulatives, The Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock, A workbook of maps and geography, First Language level 1, and just books that interest her.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We are reading the Little House series and making a lapbook/notebook for each book.

Bri is sick today. So she is watching TV and taking it easy.

She has got an A on all her spelling tests. I am so proud of her. We use Spelling Workout and love it.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  10:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Amy, how do you like the spelling workout? I was looking at it earlier for my 3rd grader who CANNOT spell (though he thinks he can!)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Here people can start at community college when they are 14. I would suggest it for anyone who has older children. Our 16 yo took Introduction to College studies last semester adn is now in a literature class. In the fall he will take two or three classes. The teachers at the college are great about helping the students.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  07:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I love Spelling Workout. It is easy and fast. I just have Bri write her words 3 or 4 times Mon and Wed. Then we have a test on Fri. So far she has got them all right.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  07:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We are going to a new homeschool group today. It is a co-op and it meets once a week. So I will know more this afternoon. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic What did you do in homeschooling today? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page