Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Vintage Notions Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Anybody seen the book "Vintage Notions" by Amy Barickman? It is wonderful! It is all taken from an bunch of ladies housekeeping magazines/newsletters from the 20s. It is an "Inspirational guide to needlework, cooking, sewing, fashion and fun."
I ordered mine on eBay and I adore it. You can also buy them from the Victorian Trading Co. catalog, and from Amazon or whatnot.
Here is a link to a post on my blog about it:

http://happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com/2010/11/vintage-notions.html

(I hope that worked - I have never had luck posting a link here. :( )

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com

Chelley
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Mesa AZ
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile
I've popped over to the Amy Barickman's website and got a vintage apron pattern from 1929 that I will be using to make my handmade Christmas gifts from this year. I printed out the pattern article on a color printer and am thinking of including it with the apron. I've been thinking about ordering the book "Vintage Notions", but have not made a final decision. Good to hear from someone who has it that it is as good as it seemed. Thanks for the input.

--chelley.

Farmgirl Sister #2323

...returning raw foodist....new knitter...happy 1st time homeowner...Wisconsin FG currently living in the desert...
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  8:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for sharing "Vintage Notions" with us. Your post sent me on another little road trip tonight by internet, and a chance to relax after a hectic day. As a collector of womens' home art publications I really appreciated your post. Merry Christmas!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  9:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I couldn't resist a while back and did order the book . . . it IS wonderful!!! Just so refreshing and fun to read . . . enjoying it a lot!!!

Chelley . . I include copies of the little story "History of Aprons" with all of my aprons. I sell them at our Farmers Market and Christmas Bazaars. My customers really like the little story.

Fun stuff!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  03:36:02 AM  Show Profile
I had started a thread (forgot where) about Vintage Notions a while back. I think I called it New Book for Farmgirls. Anyway, I love it too! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  4:59:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the review Hosanna - that was on my list of things that interested me, good to know someone liked it. I love vintage stuff

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  9:05:48 PM  Show Profile
I keep being drawn to that book in the bookstore and just may have to purchase it soon. I recently received a Victorian Trading Co. catalog and boy did I wish I could order several things in that one. I hung onto it in hopes that someday I could buy a few things. Thanks for sharing how much you have enjoyed Vintage Notions.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

vintage rose
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

jeanie
monongahela pennsylania
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  5:36:42 PM  Show Profile
i treated myself to this beautiful book and I love I am so glad to read so many others feel the same way.

Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  8:19:27 PM  Show Profile
I bought Vintage Notions and I love it!! Another book to consider is called Sew Retro. They both have such good ideas.
Melody
Farm Girl #833
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:41:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you posted about this lovely book! I'm on the look out for it now at the library along with the Sew Retro by Judi Ketteler. Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  6:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I saw that book in Victorian Trading Co. catalog. I am absolutely going to get it.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Vintage Notions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page