texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  05:02:14 AM  Show Profile
With the holidays and colder weather coming, I'm spending more time in the kitchen. What is (are) your favorite cookbook(s)? I have a nice collection and especially love vintage ones. I have quite a few tried and true favorites. In addition to my vintage ones, one favorite is my copy of Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook from the early nineties when I got married. When I have a hankering for something, there is always a recipe (or a good place to start) there. Another favorite is an out of print, tiny one called "Recipes of the Bridges of Madison County". It came out with the timing of the movie and has recipes from the caterers (two women) that are all wonderful, homestyle recipes, with beautiful colored pencil illustrations. Anyone else have that cookbook? And, I love the recipes in MaryJane's three books.

What's your favorites?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  06:15:33 AM  Show Profile
I have so many cook books, I'll have to think which ones I use the most...straight off I can say my old and well loved farm journal cook book gets a lot of use =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  06:33:43 AM  Show Profile
I love cookbooks and have a large bookcase full of them. I have favorite recipes in a lot of them but I would say the book I go to most is my 50s era Betty Crocker Cookbook that my MIL got by saving some kind of stamps.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  07:06:47 AM  Show Profile
All of my "Barefoot Contessa" cookbooks by Ina Garten are my most used cookbooks. I too have tons of cookbooks, old and new, but Ina's are the ones I use over & over.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  09:08:43 AM  Show Profile
I love my Barefoot Contessa books and Giada's cookbook as well. Love their shows on the food network too

blessings
Tammmy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://butterflywings.wordpress.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  12:01:41 PM  Show Profile
My hand-me-down favorites are the 1950 and 1961 editions of the Betty Crocker Cookbook and Fannie Farmer Cook Book that belonged to my grandmother. And of course there is the vast collection of recipe cards that belonged to my great grandmothers and grandmother. For modern books I really like the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook and The South Beach Diet Cookbook.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I love cookbooks! I love the ones by Beverly Nye -Family Raised on Sunshine, Family Raised on Rainbows, Everyone's a Homemaker, Year Round Sunshine. Then of course the Amish and Mennonite ones, and Gooseberry Patch...I guess I have too many favorites! I also love the leaflets that used to come in flour that my grandmother gave me. They had some fun wartime recipes.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  2:38:36 PM  Show Profile
The original Laurels Kitchen and A Taste of Aloha, a cook book I got in Hawaii when we lived there. I also use that Deceptively Delicious a lot too.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:06:01 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean, Kim, I love cookbooks too and have more than one favorite. Laurel's Kitchen has always been one of my favorites, More With Less, an old Good Housekeeping Illustrated one that my mom gave me years ago, my America's Test Kitchen Family Baking book is one of my newest, I love America's Test Kitchen because they really do test every recipe many times before they approve it. I love watching their Cooks Country tv show. Oh, my son gave me a copy of Paula Deen Celebrates for Christmas a couple years ago and I love that one too.

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  4:59:02 PM  Show Profile
I adore cookbooks! I think it's a sickness. ;) My favorite is the Fannie Farmer cookbook that I received when I got married. That, and The Yellow Farmhouse cookbook by Christopher Kimball are my go-to books when I need a good, basic recipe.

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile
I actually just got a copy of the Fannie Farmer cookbook at the flea market for fifty cents! I love vintage cookbooks, too.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  6:24:05 PM  Show Profile
I think cookbooks are my addiction. But even though I enjoy new ones I've got to say my Betty Crocker cookbook that was a wedding present back in 1971 has been my favorite over the years for basic recipes. It was written before so many recipes turned into just putting together processed packages of this and that. Now for special recipes we have a couple of America's Test Kitchen cookbooks that are a lot of fun.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  7:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Fanni8e Farmer. I have my mother's old copy, my aunt's even older edition and two more recent ones, one given to me by my mother and one given to me by my brother because he thought i'd really taken a tool on the one my mom gave me. It is a great basic cookbook, and lots of great canning tips and recipes for relishes and chutney. I have many, many other cook books, but Fannie Farmer is my tried and true kitchen helper.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  06:34:49 AM  Show Profile
I love the gooseberry patch cookbooks, but as well as the yearly Southern Living Christmas books.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  2:20:41 PM  Show Profile
I read cookbooks like other people read novels--cover to cover! My favorites are those by Susan Branch. Every recipe turns out great and the art and quotes and stories add so much. Check out her website at susanbranch.com. The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook sounds intriguing. Never heard of it. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  6:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Dianne,
I too love Susan Branch. Her cheesecake recipe is my all time favorite cheesecake and her books are so fun to look at. Happy to see there is another Susan Branch fan. The first time I saw her artwork I felt like I had found someone just like me. My garden is in no way as beautiful as her pictures are but so much of the way she arranges and decorates are the style I have always loved. Back to the cookbooks... her corn pudding in the Autumn book is an all time favorite at my house.
I guess the cookbook I turn to the most is my falling apart Betty Crocker like many other farm girls. My girls and I are hooked on the spice blends from Mary Jane's Outpost book too.

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  7:31:37 PM  Show Profile
I have two. My Betty Crocker cookbook and I love using my My Family Living Favorite Cookies cookbook. Some of the yummiest recipes. :)
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:01:38 PM  Show Profile
I love cookbooks and believe i may have a minor addicton to them. There's one called the settlement cookbook that i've had since i first got married. My latest favorite is Jamie Oliver's America cookbook. I had one from WWII that my grandmother passed to me. it got lost in our big move from Texas and i really miss it. there were some excellent recipes in there and the pictures were beautiful. Best of all it had my grandmother's hand written recipes in it.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  12:23:20 AM  Show Profile
I bought 2 of the Susan Branch cookbooks when I visited the USA and also received one from a very dear friend while visiting her then. I love those. They are just lovely to read, all the funny stories about cooking and decorating. But alas they are not here and too expensive. But they , and the Gooseberry Patch (have one yay) are among my favorites. To be honest I own quite a few cookbooks haha. Love browsing through them once in a while :) The Susan Branch and Gooseberry ones are on a shelf in my kitchen the rest in the cupboard ;)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

http://pinkprincesscreations.blogspot.com/ My Creations blog
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile
I love my Susan Branch books as well! I also have a collection of Gooseberry Patch books & they all have wonderful recipes. One of my new favorites is Ree Drummond The Pioneer Woman's cookbook.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  8:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, this is a fun topic! My all-time favorite is an old Betty Crocker book (super bright orange color from the 50's) that I got from my mom. It's all stained and the binding has duct tape (lol). Also the Betty Crocker International Cooking one that I asked for & got when I was in high school (many moons ago ;-) I like cookbooks that teach things from scratch. That's how I've learned to make everything from bread to eclairs to stroganoff. I have a wonderful collection of cookbooks from a great hippie one from The Farm (commune in TN) to Laurel's Kitchen & Tassajara bread book.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  6:52:24 PM  Show Profile
I also read cookbooks like novels. Love Barefoot Contessa's books, Susan Branch - Autumn, especially - and the big yellow Gourmet cookbook from a few years ago. also love Jr. League cookbooks from anywhere, especially Houston - Stop and Smell the Rosemary. And, Fine Cooking recipes are always great! My collection is huge and I need MORE bookshelves...
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  04:28:24 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear I am not alone in my cookbook addiction. My favorite Christmas cookie recipe is for Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons from Susan Branch's Christmas From Heart of the Home (p.89). I make them every year and give them as gifts. Everyone loves them because they are so decadent and delicious, and I love them because they are so easy. I'm sure the recipe is on her website as well.

Dutchy, if you tell me which SB cookbooks you already have, I will keep my eyes open for the others. I often see them on clearance or sale and buy them to give as gifts. I could mail them to you. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  07:17:32 AM  Show Profile
I tend to use my 1975 edition of the Joy of Cooking the most. I usually only use cookbooks for baking and use my memory and instincts for actual meals. I'm hoping Santa brings me some Julia Child books!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile
I use my Chatelain magazine cookbook the most, then my Company's Coming ones

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I love the Settlement Cookbook, and I was lucky enough to receive a vintage copy just like the one my mom has used for decades. The directions are simple, the results are delicious! The story behind the cookbook is interesting....it was originally written to help immigrant women in the midwest in the early 1900's cook American dishes...there have been many editions of it since then but it hasn't been published recently.
One thing is for sure..these recipes always work.
My second favorite is the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I received from my aunt. These, too, are recipes that never go wrong (well, unless I mess it up).
Shelly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic What's your favorite cookbook? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page