Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese Next Topic  

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  09:41:13 AM  Show Profile
I am reading Story of a Soul. It is the autobiography of Saint Therese of Lisieux. I am loving this book. The stories of her childhood are so sweet and quaint. She longed to be a great martyr for her faith but realized that was not to be. She is known for her "little way" in which she did every small task in her life for God. It is really a lovely book and when I'm done I am going to have my older children read it as well. It makes the everday tasks of life seem less like drudgery. I think it would be a good farmgirl read because of the simplicity and the nature that Therese enjoyed.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  09:55:55 AM  Show Profile
I am going to have to pick this one up. I love reading about the saints! I have been reading a lot by Saint Louis de Montfort over the past few months, and we're doing a study of Sainte Joan d'Arc in homeschool right now. Saint Therese is so precious and such an inspiration - perhaps she will be next on our list! Thank you for the recommendation! :) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile
I have this book and loved it too! I also saw a play based on her life and the movie which was based on the play (the movie was not as good as the play). I work at a Catholic hospital and there is a picture of Therese as a little girl that was given to our dept. by a Catholic Brother. My co-worker, who doesn't like anything to do with religion, took the picture down, claiming she bumped her head on it. I put it back up and said something to our supervisor. My supervisor said there was no way she could have bumped her head on it and it stays up. So Therese continues to watch over our dept. And I continue to ask her for the patience to put up with my co-worker!
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  3:31:44 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful book! I also have a book on the life of her mother, Zelie Guerin. Zelie was a lace maker who was successful enough to own her own business. Alencon lace. Most of the book was written utilising the many, many letters written btw Zelie and her family members. They had an amazingly simple and loving life. It makes me sad that letter writing is such a lost art. Imagine having enough information gleaned from letters between loving family members to write a biography! And bless you, Cindy, for patience with your co-worker!

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile
The local hospital where I was born was named St. Therese. My son was also born there, there was a lovely painting of her in the chapel.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  5:15:33 PM  Show Profile
I will look up that book. It sounds like a good one.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  11:42:50 AM  Show Profile

My high school was named Little Flower, in honor of St Therese.
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you HighlandViewPantry for both your wonderful cooking blog and for sharing this book with our Farmgirls here. I would agree that this is a wonderful book to read. St. Therese was a very special saint who lived a short life of great devotion beyond her years. Her writings are very special.

I am proud of the name that my parents gave me to celebrate St. Therese and her saint's day on October 1st.

Even in our times, we can learn much from the lives of saints.

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page