Page: of 6

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  11:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Okay, we have 11 ladies signed up so far and many are sewing already! I have my squares finished now, but would make a couple more if we get two more sign ups. Here is who I have so far:

Me (Carrie) (done)
Carol (Received)
Beverly (Received )
Karen
Holly (Received)
Debbie (Received )
Starletta (Received)
Valerie (Received)
Amanda (Received)
Vicki (Received)
Bea (Received )
Theresa (Received )

I have heard from everyone again so I know we are all still current and involved! Let me know how your squares are coming along. I will keep sign ups open a little longer in case we get one or two more. I will not go more than 13 because I feel it is better to not make it too large of a project to the point where we get overwhelmed and give up. Once everyone is close to done I will give you all my address. So keep in touch as let us know how you're doing. Post a photo as soon as you can...we want to see!!!

FYI...I used an 11 inch piece of foundation fabric and then trimmed the finished square back to 10 and 3/4 inches. That leaves it big enough for each of you to trim it up to whatever size you want. Hopefully none of the squares will be less than 10 inches after trimming. But...if they are small we can still add them to the quilt by trimming around the sides with sashing and bringing them up to size that way. The beauty of a crazy quilt is that anything goes and it all looks good!

Blessings-
Carrie M

Edited by - Carrie W on Mar 22 2011 12:19:46 PM

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  6:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie :-)
Okay- I would like to participate :-)

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  12:19:10 PM  Show Profile
hi carrie, i would also like to participate but i would need to know when the deadlines are...when will we need to send the squares to you?
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  6:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Carrie,I'ld like to join in too, sounds like a fun block.
Do you want the center to be the badge size and shape or
a random 5 sided shape?
Debbie

Edited by - debbies journey on Dec 01 2010 6:34:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  4:44:09 PM  Show Profile
I would join as well, just need some details on the center shape. I am guessing to make it look like the badge?? Anyway, let me know and I would be happy to join as well, just also need details on the whole thing I guess because I am new and have never done a swap before!!
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Great...we have five ladies plus myself so far!

I'll give it a couple more weeks to gather more participants and then we'll get started after the holidays. I think maybe a month or two will be enough time to work on squares before we try to gather them up and swap them. I've never facilitated a swap before so this part is new for me.

Okay, so as far as the center shape, make it as large as you need to put your signature and sisterhood # on, and also, if you are okay with it, add your hometown and state, and if you'd like to personalize it with a verse or saying then add that too. So...your center piece of muslin will be as big as you need. I'm thinking in the vicinity of 4-5" square. BUT...you need to start with five sides if you want the traditional crazy quilt look. You can use a square but that will lend itself to more of a log cabin look.

Here are some tutorials to check out:

http://purplepaintsmuse.blogspot.com/2007/12/crazy-quilt-tutorial-dec-8-2007.html
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23942.asp

You don't need to start with a shape identical to the ones in the tutorials, just make sure you have 5 sides to start with.

And for Amanda, the way a swap usually works is we get all the sign ups and then everyone will make a square for each lady on the list except for themselves (unless you want one of your own squares). So, if we get 20 ladies, yourself included, then we will each make 19 squares. Everyone will mail them to me along with a postage paid, self addressed envelope for mailing back your swapped squares. Then I will sort them all out and make sure that each participant recieves a square from each of the other participants. Then we can each make a quilt with the squares we get back. Which makes me think that I will have to close the sign ups with the right number of participants so that we can have a proper quilt, such as: 21 ladies, 20 squares each, 4x5 quilt.

Does anyone have a limit to the number of squares they want to make? 20 squares are alot. And do we want to add our own square to the quilt, or just the squares of the other participants?

Let me know what you all think!

Carrie M

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  04:58:51 AM  Show Profile
I think it would be kind of neat to have our own block in there, except you could personalize it by writing in some of the swap info, like the date and such, plus it would show what kinds of fabric you had picked yourself. I don't care either way, it was just a suggestion. You couls always use one of your own blocks for the label on the back!

Thanks for the info. I am very excited and can't wait to get going! What a great way to use up some of my stash!! :)

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  5:49:52 PM  Show Profile
I would like to join you in creating these quilts. This will be my first swap so you may need to lead me along. Please make the deadline two months so I wil have time.

Thank you for organizing this project.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  10:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Holly!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  05:21:38 AM  Show Profile
As I lay in bed and ruminated on what to do I came up with a question. Will the starting block be 11 inches square so the finished block in the quilt will be 10 inches? or the starting block be 10inches so the finished block will be 9 inches.

Thank you for the welcome.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:00:51 AM  Show Profile
Michelle...we can take as long as we want to. And Holly, we'll walk you through it. Just start working on the squares as soon as you can and once we all have them done we will commence with the swap. As far as size, I am thinking that a 10" square would allow us to make a center that is maybe 4 or 5" across for our writing. Then we can add 2-4 inch strips around the sides and it will grow quickly. Then, if we have enough squares to lay them out 4x5 it will give us a large wall quilt, or could be sashed and made into a lap quilt. So, to answer your question, it will be 10" after being trimmed. I know that usually a 10" square is REALLY 10 1/2" square, but I find that confusing and it got me kicked out of a swap because I trimmed all my squares down to the specified size not realizing that they were actually to be a half inch bigger. That bugged me! So, I want to keep it simple. You may trim your squares down to 10" or don't trim them and let each participant trim them up herself.

EVERYONE....when you do foundation piecing, make sure that you cut your foundation piece a good inch larger than your desired finished size. You'll always lose some foundation as you layer and add pieces, so give yourself a margin and trim down to size after you are finished. I'm thinking that maybe we don't want to embellish our squares. Each participant can add embellishments to their quilt if they desire. That will keep it simple.

Any other questions?

I have 7 sign-ups including myself!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  12:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I hate to say I think I'd better back out of the swap. Nothing wrong with the swap, please don't take it that way. I just had something else in mind and it seems this is going another way, which is great, but not a good fit for me. I'm sure it will be fun for everyone. To avoid confusion, I think I'll delete my other posts here. All the best and enjoy! :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun. Count me in!

The well of nature is full today. Time to go outside and take a drink. Diane Ackerman

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  5:31:41 PM  Show Profile
I am glad you will walk me through this. Off and sewing..... this should be great fun.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  05:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

Is it allowed to cut out a 12" x 12" square and draw a five sided figure onto the back ground and then embellish the figure. or is it necessary to create the five sided figure embellish it and then attach it to the background to begin the crazy part. or does it matter?

In the past I attended meetings with a woman who did a lot of quilting and she and her group tried to replicate authentic methods and they cut out pieces of the material behind the piece of material that was appliqued. I did not understand the reasoning behind it and the only rationale she gave was that they did it in the past.

So, while doing the first method of creating the quilt square would work if he second is preferred then I will do it. I am generally not anal retentive but joining a group project is so far from the lone projects I usually create that I am trying to have a group exxpectation.

It is a wonderfully snowy, beautiful day out. The children will be able to go out sledding and use up a lot of energy. lol

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  5:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Theresa...glad to have you join us!

Hi Holly in Vermont....it snowed in NY too and my daughter was loving it! I like when it snows, too. Makes it feel so cozy inside by the fire.

Okay, Holly, as far as getting started...cut a piece of waste fabric 12x12 or so. Using a rotary cutter, cut a piece of off-white muslin that is about 4 or 5" wide by 4 or 5" high, giving it five sides. It doesn't have to be even. Lay it in the center of your wast fabric. Now cut a straight edge on another piece of fabric and lay it on top of the muslin, right side down and lining up the straight edge with one of the five sides of the muslin. Sew it onto the muslin, flip and iron open. Now cut a straight edge on another piece of fabric and lay it, right side down, onto a second side of the muslin. Sew, flip and iron. You don't need to draw lines for this. Keep going around the muslin until each side has a fabric sewn to it. You may need to go around again to cover all of the waste fabric, or you may use pieces wide enough to cover all the way to the edge. Trim you square back to 10x10 and you are done. You can choose to embellish the sqaures you recieve back when you put them all together. Don't bother embellishing them before the swap.

Does that help you get started??

Carrie

I'll post a photo as soon as I get a square finished. I'm finishing up a couple of other gift quilts before I start this project ;-)

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Michelle....sorry to have you leave us. Jump in again if you change your mind!!!

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  4:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I can do that and here I thought I should embroider my signature and other pieces of indformation onto the centerpiece first so if I did not like what I did the whole square would not have to be redone. lol YOu have great faith in my handwork. I think I am pretty good at it but out of practice because I have been doing counted cross stitch and needlepoint and crochet which do not require a lot of attention to detail for my projects.

I have designed the layout for the five sided shope and think it will be quite fetching if I do say so myself. :)

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  4:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Holly-

I'm sorry..I think I was confused about the embroidery...I thought you were going to embellish the finished squares. I was going to write my info in quilt pen, so I wasn't thinking that some of us might do that with thread...it sounds wonderful!!! And I'm sure it will turn out well (doing it before quilting is a great idea!!) as it sounds like your hands are happily used to being busy with needle and thread.

If some of you don't want to embroider your info, most quilt shops carry permanent markers that write real fine and are washable...they don't run or fade. I would recommmend writing out your info, like Holly is going to do, before making your crazy quilt just in case you make a mistake....it happens ;-)

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  5:46:00 PM  Show Profile
WOW! It never occurred to me to use a pen to write out the 5 sided piece information. No wonder you didn't think making 20 squares was anybig deal. I see where our confusion lay. lol It will be fun.

The snow is accumulating and the lights on the porch are beautiful glowing through the ice crystal covering.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  4:57:23 PM  Show Profile
If it is still possible, I would like to get into this. I was thinking of making a crazy quilt and now I have farm friends to help...Cool!!!! how many of us are there so far?? Bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  11:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Beverly!!! Not too late at all, we're very happy to have you. So far we have Me, Karen, Janice,
Debbie, Holly, Theresa, and you...that makes 7. I'd like to get a few more. Start sewing whenever you are ready!! I'll post a square once I get one made so that we can all have a visual, but really, anything goes as long as our finished size is equal and each square has a muslin piece with our swap info. Use any fabrics and freestyle your way to a finished square!

Merry Christmas all!
Carrie M

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  4:13:07 PM  Show Profile
so is it ok to use some fancy fabrics like what they used to use in crazy quilts, like wool and stuff??

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Use any fabrics you want....mine will be cottons because that is what i have a lot of.

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  4:55:09 PM  Show Profile
Cool!!! thanks for the info!!

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  1:57:33 PM  Show Profile
bump!! we would like more people..

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Signature quilt square swap Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page