one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  06:54:58 AM  Show Profile

ceejay: if there is a problem with letting people know you've received, maybe you should mention it on the first post on your Here's how mail art works/sign up thread. I also looked at the emails you sent me about signing up. Nothing was mentioned about it there either. If it's not just one or two ladies, then people might be missing your message about communication in the threads.

I know I was late with a thanks because my mail artist was about two weeks late, and four days in the car from DH getting the mail.
I think that if you're going to be late, you are way too busy to play, even if you, "ask," the other person if it's ok.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5077 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5077 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  07:27:10 AM  Show Profile
I like what so Many of you said, Just have Fun, Do what you can and Just enjoy! We are all in the Sisterhood cause we love God's Creation! For Me, I will ad an extra, cause I Have no Grandchildren to spoil! But most Impotant to me, is the time that a person took to send a note and something they made or bought. That is what is wrong with this world today,The younger and older Generatons are running around the clock, stressed out, and worn out, cause they can't see the most importnt things in life that money cannot buy!

Imagine.... # 3392
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  07:45:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by levisgrammy

I just wanted to add a little something here. Please keep in mind when you are swapping that not everyone has the same amount of experience in crafting. Some may be just beginning to learn sewing or crochet or knitting or whatever. So don't be disappointed if what you receive is not necessarily the same quality, if you want to call it that, as what you send.
The point in swapping is to share what you can do, whatever that may be, with your fellow farmgirl sisters and to get to know each other better. At least that is my take on it and I agree about the little extras. Though they are sweet gestures no one should feel bad if they are not able to add them.

I really appreciate what Levi's Grammy has said here. I've participated in only a few swaps--I make sure I have the time--and have signed up for the Autumn themed Kitchen swap. But I must admit, reading some of the posts make me feel like I shouldn't participate--that my "gifts" wouldn't be appreciated nearly as much because I simply haven't the time to make something handmade or I'm no scrapbooker or whatever. My swap partners have always written me about how much they've loved all the items I've sent, and I'd like to believe them. I have a 2 year old, I work full time and have a lengthy commute, so sitting down at 10:30 pm trying to thread a needle while still in my heels isn't for me.

I think what I'm trying to say is that if swaps are to be specifically homemade, they should state that.Most of the swaps I read are fairly vague about requirements--open ended so that you use creativity, most of all, and open hearted kindness, next. I haven't anything to add to the etiquette of it all, really, because to me it's just common sense. I have participated in swaps where my person backs out at the last minute, and haven't had anyone else to be a partner, or had to scramble to get one, and those have brought wonderful friendships.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  08:43:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Connie! You are going to have great fun with the swaps :) I think this thread just gives us a chance to remind each other of the courtesies of swapping and troubles that can arise if we neglect them :)
Swapping is a fantastic way to meet other farmgirls and never ONCE have I had to lie in replying that I loved the thought they put into their swap items! What we send to our farmgirl friends by swapping is our best work or most thoughtful purchase because we care and who could ever think of not loving that?? Sometimes negative gals creep in and criticize everything and everyone but they move on soon when people don't feed their fires so no worries.

Connie and Jonnie - * Farmgirls just wanna have fun!! * Just enjoy your swaps and take the wisdoms from the thread not as warnings but as guidelines added because we are all working towards only the most positive experiences in swapping :)

"A quality education has the power to transform societies in a single generation, provide children with the protection they need from the hazards of poverty, labor exploitation and disease, and given them the knowledge, skills, and confidence to reach their full potential."
— Audrey Hepburn

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning

Edited by - sissysquilts on Aug 30 2011 11:15:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5077 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5077 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sissy! Well said!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Very well said. I joined in July and joined one swap in August. It was for heart shaped yo yo's. I enjoy what other's do no matter if it is hand made or store purchased. It doesn't matter either way to me. I enjoy making new friends. I have already experienced people not following through on swaps, but that's ok...I have made great friends already. I believe that what will be, will be...and like Sissy Said "Farmgirls just wanna have fun!" I hope we can understand in this time people are busy and may not mean to disappoint others but things happen.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sissy, you're lucky. I have been in swaps since 2007. I received tea with bugs in it. Yes, I LIED, and said, thanks so much! I received a Bible, when my swap buddy knows I am not Christian. I LIED, and said Thank you. I have received postage due, and an unfinished project, a crochet wash cloth for me to finish. Thanks so much again. But I keep swapping because there are diamonds out there, and I love to make stuff. To pretend that everyone sends their best work is ridiculous.
quote:
Originally posted by sissysquilts

Hi Connie! You are going to have great fun with the swaps :) I think this thread just gives us a chance to remind each other of the courtesies of swapping and troubles that can arise if we neglect them :)
Swapping is a fantastic way to meet other farmgirls and never ONCE have I had to lie in replying that I loved the thought they put into their swap items! What we send to our farmgirl friends by swapping is our best work or most thoughtful purchase because we care and who could ever think of not loving that?? Sometimes negative gals creep in but they are short timers or come in fits and starts on the forum and move on soon so no worries.

Connie and Jonnie - * Farmgirls just wanna have fun!! * Just enjoy your swaps and take the wisdoms from the thread not as warnings but as guidelines added because we are all working towards only the most positive experiences in swapping :)

"A quality education has the power to transform societies in a single generation, provide children with the protection they need from the hazards of poverty, labor exploitation and disease, and given them the knowledge, skills, and confidence to reach their full potential."
— Audrey Hepburn

Robert Browning

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:35:57 AM  Show Profile
I like hearing from my partner that she recevied my end of the bargain. I hate it when they don't say anything, a simple thank you would do, they don't have to love it but at least let me know you got it.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  10:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Pilar, I am so facebooked that I actually looked for a LIKE button by your comment.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  11:53:00 AM  Show Profile
OK just cant control myself and have to add my two cents in....
We join swaps with the intention of making someone happy. What we receive in return is a Blessing. You may or may not always "like' what you receive. As Pilar said- it is just common courtesy to let the sender know that you received it and be polite and say thank you. This really is not rocket science. Sometimes swaps will work out and everyone will be satisfied. Other times, not so much. But I do not worry about whether or not my "Partner" is a crafter/quilter/seamstress etc- what matters is that she TRIED. Even if that means store bought. I think by now we should all realize that we are not living in a "perfect world". We have all had our moments when "Life" happens. To me the whole idea of being a farmgirl sister is to live simpler and see the beauty that is before me and not worry about what I can not control.
Remember- Farmgirl is a condition of the heart!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

luckilady
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Jennifer
Loxahatchee Fl
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  4:29:15 PM  Show Profile
As a relatively new farmgirl sister (3 weeks) I thank you all for these comments and suggestions. I just try my best. I am not 'great' at anything, but if I say I am going to do something, I do it. I know what I can't do yet, (quilting :)but the MJ magazine and some of your blogs are really helping me learn, and that is what I am loving, the sharing and the fun. I have done 3 swaps and the ladies have been the sweetest I have ever met, I will treasure everything forever! I even made my own MJF box to keep my cards and letters etc. in. I am just loving this whole experience :)

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  4:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer,

please post a picture of you MJ box. I have been meaning to make something too.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  4:52:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by laurentany

OK just cant control myself and have to add my two cents in....
We join swaps with the intention of making someone happy. What we receive in return is a Blessing. You may or may not always "like' what you receive. As Pilar said- it is just common courtesy to let the sender know that you received it and be polite and say thank you. This really is not rocket science. Sometimes swaps will work out and everyone will be satisfied. Other times, not so much. But I do not worry about whether or not my "Partner" is a crafter/quilter/seamstress etc- what matters is that she TRIED. Even if that means store bought. I think by now we should all realize that we are not living in a "perfect world". We have all had our moments when "Life" happens. To me the whole idea of being a farmgirl sister is to live simpler and see the beauty that is before me and not worry about what I can not control.
Remember- Farmgirl is a condition of the heart!
Smiles,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..

Exactly! :) I especially love what you said about swapping because we want to share and make someone ELSE happy - true farmgirl spirit at its best and courtesy is all it takes :)

— Audrey Hepburn

Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile
bump

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2011 :  5:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Everybody is great at something. I thought the same thing, lady, until I found My perfect craft.
quote:
Originally posted by luckilady

As a relatively new farmgirl sister (3 weeks) I thank you all for these comments and suggestions. I just try my best. I am not 'great' at anything, but if I say I am going to do something, I do it. I know what I can't do yet, (quilting :)but the MJ magazine and some of your blogs are really helping me learn, and that is what I am loving, the sharing and the fun. I have done 3 swaps and the ladies have been the sweetest I have ever met, I will treasure everything forever! I even made my own MJF box to keep my cards and letters etc. in. I am just loving this whole experience :)

~Jennifer

Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. ~ John Maxwell

Farmgirl Sister #3375

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  1:36:53 PM  Show Profile
just a reminder
try to let your
swap partner know you
received her
swap item
so she won't think its lose

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  07:37:29 AM  Show Profile
I just found out that other swapping sites have feedback scores.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes and it's wonderful! I like it because the feature keeps track of what swaps you are in and dates to send etc, also alittle room on the profile pages to let people know likes, dislikes and definite no-nos :)

— Audrey Hepburn

Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Where else do you swap?
quote:
Originally posted by sissysquilts

Yes and it's wonderful! I like it because the feature keeps track of what swaps you are in and dates to send etc, also alittle room on the profile pages to let people know likes, dislikes and definite no-nos :)

— Audrey Hepburn

Robert Browning

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  07:19:56 AM  Show Profile
I love to make things. Not real great at scrap-booking, but I like to try. I really would like to know that my partner has received the item I spent time making and I'll take a fake Thank You. I put tracking on an item so I would know it arrived safely...got no acknowledgement from the farm girl via email or the forum...until I asked. I don't think I should have to ask if they've received it. I would also like to be notified if my swap partner has an emergency or is late...whatever. Just let me know that I'm not gonna get something or that it's going to be late. I do love to give, give, give...the joy is in giving. My husband had to remind me of that recently when I voiced my disappointment in not receiving in my third swap...I've only done 5. I was so excited!!! :( So from now on...I will expect nothing...I will just enjoying the giving part.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://smallfreckleddog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  07:58:12 AM  Show Profile
Give, give, give, that's a RAOK. You joined a swap, an unwritted contract. I think it is important for your other half to follow through. I can't imagine how lousy she feels. Even at this later date, if she followed through, she would feel better about herself. You have a right to feel excited about swapping.
If you ever get a bum partner agin, please let your swap hostess know. Look at the Swap Angels post, and know that a lot of us are trying to make these swaps happy and rewarding for everyone.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  4:55:28 PM  Show Profile
I agreed 100% with Trish..RAOK is one thing a swap is the expectant that you will honor your partner
I also have had bad experiences one that really upset me was receiving something in a bag(not sure what)
that opened during shipping and weirded me out so the whole packet was ruined (whatever it was) and i tossed the thing out ..DON'T SEND STUFF YOU HAVE LYING AROUND (like some old spic or tea)putting it in a baggie does not make it a gift worth giving??? Not only does it look tacky its insulting!
and i do not think anyone would use something that came like that..for health and safety its not a good idea.. it also unsanitary. well you can tell i'm upset. Used items are really unacceptable (books and Maybe gently used Magazines being the exception)..But food items never...
blessings deborah

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  03:53:20 AM  Show Profile
Bump....Looks like there are girls on several of the threads that are being "shortchanged" on some swaps....
Just a friendly reminder ladies, PLEASE if you can NOT follow through then PLEASE do NOT sign up for a swap. OR even if you do sign up and realize you cant secure your end of the bargain then contact your partner and work it out....its only right. I'm not talking about the exception here or there, I'm talking about those who continuously fall through. This site is all about bringing JOY to people and appreciating the little things in life. Standing by your word is a good way to start.

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  04:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't agree more Laurie!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  04:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever been blackballed?

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!