SusanHarmon
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Susan Harmon
Robertsdale AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  2:02:06 PM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed reading the posts on this topic. I can only add that sometimes I am able to get to town and purchase a small tuck; other times, I make one. A dishcloth or a doiley is so nice to have around. It does depend on the swap, too. I try to thank my swap partners publicly for all the tucks as well as sending an e-mail with more detail of my thanks.

I have enjoyed all the swaps I've been involved in. It really does make my life brighter.

Susan Harmon White

Sister #1958
Let all that you do be done in love
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  2:11:55 PM  Show Profile
I also think that if for some reason you can not fulfill your end of the swap and your have already received your treasure, please let that farm girl know that for whatever reason you can not send anything. I believe farm girls will understand that things happen in our lives and we just can not fulfill our end of the swap, I think it is better that they know then ignore their emails. Ignoring emails hurts and we certainly do not want to hurt one other farm girls feelings. Farm girls are the most understanding and loving ladies, it is not about the gift or treasure it is about the thought and getting to know each other. So, no matter what do not be embarrassed let that farm girl know what is going on.
Sorry I have rattled on but I just hate hearing that a farm girl has gotten her feelings hurt over a swap there is just no reason for it.

Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  2:48:30 PM  Show Profile
I still don't know if my partner received my box and that was my first swap. Needlees to say I was very dissapointed but thankfully my other 4 swaps have been SO different.

It is very sad when your gift is not acknowledged.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister 2498

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets into hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  05:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Just giving this a little >>Bump<< t

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  09:34:44 AM  Show Profile
As a Swap Hostess I try to make it a well known fact that someone NOT sign up unless they are totally committed to
the Swap. I would also rather have them back out before the dead-line of the sign-up. Granted...Life Happens and
on a very rare occassion someone will not be able to follow through. But honestly Ladies...this happens much too
frequently. I have even had women ask me not to pair them up with certain individuals because they have become
famous for not fulfilling their swaps. NOW THAT IS JUST PLAIN SAD...and wrong on so many levels. Why should certain
individuals reap the blessings of a swap when they are not willing to be committed to bless others. And I think I
speak for everyone when I say...you would rather get any quality of work...as long as you get something. Something
is always better than nothing!

Love reading all your comments. Let's keep this thread out there in front of everyone...as it is a good reminder to be
a Great Swap Partner.

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  09:30:41 AM  Show Profile
I feel bad when I sign up for a swap and only send the one item and a little extra, then I see where others received 2 or 3 of the item swapped plus extras. I don't want my partner to feel cheated. Is it ok to ask partner how many they are sending?
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  07:18:28 AM  Show Profile
I would just like to say that we all understand that although we have good intentions, "Life" can sometimes send us unexpected bumps in the road. That being said I just would like to suggest that if you are in that situation and cant complete your swap at the moment that you at least EMAIL your partner and alert them to your situation. In the past 2 weeks I have been in 2 swaps and happened to be teamed up with the same partner. I did not receive my swap for either one, nor has she contacted me about it. Its frustrating, and as I said just keeping the lines of communication open would be nice. Just a simple suggestion to try and help.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  08:31:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Laurie. I have had two partners just "drop me". I have e-mailed many times to no avail. It makes me very sad but has been a good lesson is reamining faithful. Let your yes be yes and your no be no!

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  09:53:02 AM  Show Profile
I agree with peggy
and too have been burned
it reallyis a shame when this happens
as this a swap is based totaly on trust
and farmgirl friendship. I have debaited whether to do any more swaps
or host them as i feel very sad for the person who did not receive in a swap
after she sent out hers with much effort time money and love. its unfair..
so please be sure you really want to and can do the swap,
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I am still a little new to this but I have done a few swaps/barters and my partners have been GREAT! (you know who you are ;-)
Although I always try to add a little extra something when I swap, that really doesn't matter alot to me. I don't even really care about the skill level. What upsets ME is when I get a swap and it's just the swap-no note. A little personal handwritten note is the best part of the swap for me. I love reading what was written and I save every piece of writtn farmgirl mail. It doesn't have to be long, even just "Thanks for the swap" makes me happy...just a little human, personal touch. I like the e-mail saying you sent my package or that you got mine..but I LOVE the written note. Maybe that's just me but that's the BEST part. Smiles, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:09:39 AM  Show Profile
hi
another little tidbit
Re: MAIL OUT DEADLINE!!!!
that is the final day to get your swap out not ito begin working on it
things happen but some swappper wait month or two! and then send it out... thats really not the idea of the deadline. its does not say WHENEVER YOU GET TO IT...LOL
the deadline for mailing is the last day to be mailed..
also its polite to inform your partner
if there is a problem with getting it out on time..so she does not think you forgot her..
blessings deborah

jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Jun 14 2011 11:15:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Deb~ I agree with you - another pointer might be when you receive a swap or a gift please let the sender know you received it. I know I have sent a few things out and haven't heard if the other person received it. I just want to be sure my package gets to where it is going!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  5:55:26 PM  Show Profile
elaine your so right it would be nice to know without having to email the person to find out.

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  07:26:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Interesting thread!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.fiberandherbscottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Just venting...I did not get anything from my partners in the last two swaps I participated in. The worst part (aside from no package) is that they don't answer e-mails. Oh so sad...

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  12:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that happened Pilar. :( It seems to be an issue that pops up and I think everyone is trying to figure out what the best way is to deal with it. :( What swaps were you in? How very frustrating!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile
I did the dish drain quilt and the 4th of July dishcloth. I don't know if I should contact my partners or just let it go.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  10:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Pilar...contact your partners and then also contact your Swap Hostess! Do not even think twice
about it. Then if you don't get a response Let it go and move foreward.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  04:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I try to not personalize my swaps, so that the recipient can regift it. Any "extras" are usually hand made, and I already own the supplies. I add them in case they really don't have the same taste as I do. I have been in several swaps, and only had one that I actually gushed over, re-homing the bible she sent because she found that I love Kwan Yin.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2011 :  06:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Both hostesses have been very kind and I have decided to let it go.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  4:26:59 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading through this thread again and so many have shared such great thoughts.
Just wanted to say this thread is still a good reminder of etiquette for swaps.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile
bumping

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile
I've been debating whether to add this or not but today, after picking up my fifth swap item sent to me postage due....well...

I think we should all take the extra time to make sure the packages we send for swaps have the correct postage on them. It's only good courtesy and fair to the farmgirl receiving the item.

I have now had 5 packages from the same swap which came to me needing $1.70 postage each. I understand that it shouldn't be a big deal but paying that postage from a swap fund could mean cancelling participating in other swaps for some of us. Just please, let's all take the time to add proper postage BEFORE the packages go out.

Also, please please please let your partner know when you receive your item from them. I've been burned twice now and while that is disappointing, it's even more disappointing that the partners did not let me know they received the packages I sent them. :(

"A quality education has the power to transform societies in a single generation, provide children with the protection they need from the hazards of poverty, labor exploitation and disease, and given them the knowledge, skills, and confidence to reach their full potential."
— Audrey Hepburn

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning

Edited by - sissysquilts on Aug 29 2011 4:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5077 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5077 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Sissy I am doing my very first swap this Month, and I am sorry what has Happened to you, I am glad you posted this as a good reminder for us all to be Courteous Farm Sisiters!

Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  7:49:56 PM  Show Profile
If someone running a swap, required delivery confirmation, that's .80 that would make all of these problems go away.
As far as recognition goes, I do it to take part in the swap, to make something, and receive something in the mail....not to get my project posted on the forum for lots of oohs and aaahs. It's art, it's subjective. Sometimes it's hard to lie about something you're not crazy about, and it's easier to say nothing at all.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Swap Etiquette Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page