True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  10:51:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm fairly new to swapping and I'm curious

When you receive your swap from your partner and post about it, should the post include all the little extra "goodies" that were not part of the actual swap but were also received?...
Or, should you just post about the swap item(s) and send a personal message of thanks & appreciation to your partner?

Thanks for your input:)

Beverly

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  11:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Beverly, you can do either! :) You really can't go wrong with it as long as you either post a thank you for the extra goodies or send a note just so they know that you got it. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!

Edited by - maggie14 on Nov 22 2010 11:16:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  2:43:24 PM  Show Profile
NO ONE LIKES A FLAKER.
something else that should be considered
if something should happen contact the swap hostess asap or your partner and let them know before they mail out the item.
please be sure you can commit
as it would not be fair to your partner
please be sure you want to and are able to
do a swap..so many times things happen and its unfair
not to receive in a swap after you have sent yours..
plenty of time effort and creative talent
that goes into your project so please please be 100% sure
fair is fair to all..!!!!!!!!!!!!
swapping should be fun and rewarding
for everyone its important to
be sure you can commit so no one is left out
or feels disappointed......
blessings deborah

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Nov 10 2012 1:05:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  4:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Deborah,
I agree. I have been in the Tea Cozy Swap and got the neatest swapping buddy and she went way out to give me a very nice tea cozy. But I receive emails from other MJ friends and family that aren't as lucky. It can be costly to mail and to purchase the materials for some of the projects and so disappointing if the person that you send your package does not acknowledge that they even received the items or they don't fulfil their end of the trade but yet you see their name on other swaps. I can understand if emergencies happen but please follow through on your commitments before signing up for any other swaps.
Please remember our standards as farmgirls are high, we follow through and rise above others like the cream on milk. When we commit...it is a done deal.
Beverley, I think either acknowledging others for their kindness publicly or personally works for all.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enought to be given a square deal afterwards." Theodore Roosevelt

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  12:36:09 PM  Show Profile
I agree with what has been said but my question really referred to the "extras".

I know some gals receive extra goodies & others do not. I just didn't want to cause any hurt feelings by posting, publicly, about my extra goodies when not everyone received the same. Either way, the sender will receive a Thank You. I just wasn't sure if posting public was/is appropriate.... Looks like it's a personal preference & what you're (personally) comfortable with...

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile
well said ..........
and bev its a personal thing and i too send a private email or note
as others have done so as not to brag or hurt feelings..
deborah....

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Feb 09 2012 06:21:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Flea Market Diva
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Kathy
Galt CA
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls I just read through everyones replies and it helps us newness so we are good swap buddies. I just started with the sisterhood and am having a ball.

Craft On Sisters :)
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  9:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kathy! You'll LOVE it here!!!

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile
For me, I think there is a good way of enjoying the swap..... letting the SWAP know that you have made your contact with your swap partner is the first step. Everyone wants to start off on a good step and go from there. This lets everyone know, including your host, that you have made your connection. A note that you have mailed your swap lets everyone, including your Swap Partner, know that your swap package is in the mail. Last but definitely not least, I think it is just a kindness and a way of thanking your special Partner to post a note of thanks and receipt of the package.

Yes, of course you can most certainly email them as well privately and thank them for all those little goodies that have been sent your way. I know they will love hearing from you!

When we are new to swapping, we don't always know the little steps that make swapping even more fun and fabulous. But it is easy to learn and definitely lots of fun participating in Swaps here on the Farmgirl Connection.

Not only are you swapping material items that are wonderful all by themselves but also opening the door on new friendships which is really what the Farmgirl Connection is all about.

"Find your own Calcutta!" Mother Teresa

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  05:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Normally, when I host a swap, to keep things easy and fun, I will assign partners and let them know to contact their partners. If they do not hear from their partner, I will email their partner, and if THEN no response I will send them what they were swapping. I usually make extra, to just make sure.
Also, when I assign partners, I will partner myself with the newer farmgirls so as to make sure, if things happen and they are not able to send in their swap, I will be the one left out. For me, it is just the joy of crafting and having a way to express myself in my crafts. Sometimes you never know what good you may do in sending on a swap and not getting one in return.
In regards to the extras, I will send a snail mail card or if a swap was extra special, I will send a note of thanks thru the mail. I just think that is more personal that way. But, everyone has their own way of doing what they think is correct...Have a wonderful day and smiles to all, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  06:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Being relatively new to the swaps, I enjoy those that post the extras they get so I can get ideas on extras or cool packaging ideas to use myself.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile
I have been feeling terrible about this...I just sent an apron, no extra goodies or anything. I didn't even think about it until I read some of the posts. So thank you for making me a more thoughtful person.

Farmgirl Sister 2498
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  07:36:41 AM  Show Profile
Don't feel badly, Pilar, It is a something that you pick up as you go!!! Sometimes, I don't send extras.....it all depends on the swap....... We're among friends, here!1 Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Beth is right - Pilar, the main thing is that your gift came from the heart. It's the love and thought behind the item you send that matters - not whether you've been able to send "extras" or not. :)

I really thought I should share this with everyone, too: I've had a couple of girls contact me after having received broken items in the mail. I am pretty sure the recipients aren't mentioning this out of consideration for the heart of the senders, but if I were the sender, I'd want to know, so that's why I'm sharing this with you. :) We spend a lot of time and effort picking out special gifts for our sisters, we always want them to arrive undamaged and in pristine condition. Packing breakables, especially, is a delicate matter - even when they seem sturdy enough soas not to require a whole lot of packing material. Sometimes it's best to wrap in bubble wrap and secure the package well with peanuts or other packing material before sealing the box for shipment. Other times lots of extra newspaper or packing paper in the box to secure the item will do the trick. Oh! And you want to be sure that breakables aren't touching any other hard items that can cause damage if a package is jostled in shipment. A good rule of thumb is if you shake the package and you don't hear anything rattling around, it's packaged pretty well to survive a long trip. Also, just to be safe, it's a good idea to mark packages "fragile." Things happen sometimes no matter how hard we try, but it's always better to lean on the side of caution to try to ensure safe transport. :)

- Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 15 2011 1:42:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
As for goodies.... I really can't afford to send out extra things, I try to put something small in but I look at swaps simply. We signed up to swap this one single item, that is what I will send you.

Never feel bad about not being as good as others, just be you and every farmgirl will love you for it.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  6:58:02 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Emily that you should just be yourself, do what you want or can do, don't worry about extras. Since many of us are very rural, extra's just might be hard to come by. But I think it's great if you want to tell about them, we all can get ideas and have enjoyment for you!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  11:15:18 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to add a little something here. Please keep in mind when you are swapping that not everyone has the same amount of experience in crafting. Some may be just beginning to learn sewing or crochet or knitting or whatever. So don't be disappointed if what you receive is not necessarily the same quality, if you want to call it that, as what you send.
The point in swapping is to share what you can do, whatever that may be, with your fellow farmgirl sisters and to get to know each other better. At least that is my take on it and I agree about the little extras. Though they are sweet gestures no one should feel bad if they are not able to add them.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile
I have been keeping up with all the replies here & I must say.... FARMGIRLS are AWESOME!!! Everyone has added such great ideas, opinions and advice! I wouldn't be afraid of swapping with anyone who has posted here! :)

farmgirl {{{hugs}}}
Beverly

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  7:50:10 PM  Show Profile
i like keeping this thread in view as too many swapppers
are getting burned lately
its important that if you commit to a swap you follow thru
its only right to the person who has sent you a swap and than
does not hear from you again and does not receive a swap in return

jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Jun 22 2011 12:53:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  8:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Good idea Deborah! Hate to hear about the swappers though!!! I haven't been swapping or much of anything lately....too much going on at home...

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  7:25:59 PM  Show Profile
hi all
just a hint to swapping
its important to understand the guidelines
and exactly what the swap entails
if your not sure you should contact the swap hostess
and be clear on what you are to do..
exp: tucks= little extra gifts tucked inside the item your swapping.
found some swappers are not sending the right item for the swap they are in.
exp: if its a tea swap don't send coffee..

plus please post when you receive your swap as the person sending it may be worried you did not get it.
blessings deborah

jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Jun 03 2011 06:58:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl2
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Trisha
Longview Washington
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  6:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Being relatively new to the swaps, I enjoy reading all the posts, so I can get ideas on extras and cool packaging ideas to use myself. Thank you for all the great ideas.

Farmgirl Sister # 2982
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:03:58 AM  Show Profile
I have done several swaps, and I understand when someone can't fulfil their end
but I just WISH my receipent would let me know they have gotten my end of the swap!
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Toni. Please let the sender know that you received their package. This year I joined several swaps and was never quite sure if the they received the package. It has made me gun shy!

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to request that people tell what they received-extras or not. I'm new to this SWAP stuff and love to see what everyone sent so I can get ideas. So many times someone writes "Thanks swap partner I love it all" and that really doesn't help me nor does it let us share in the excitement of the received gift. I only send 1 swap and I really love to share in what others do. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
As a "Swap Hostess" I have to reiterate, reinforce and repeat that it is an ABSOLUTE that a recipient acknowlege receiving a package!!!!
It's just the right "farmgirl" thing to do!!!! Courtesy goes such a long ways!!
Thanks!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Swap Etiquette Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: