clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  08:46:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey farmgirls. Of all the places in the world I KNOW I can go for help on this one it has to be here :)

So, a couple weeks ago a friend of mine posted on facebook that she was looking for salt rising bread locally and wanted to know if anyone knew where she could get it. I had no clue and had never even heard of it. So, I got to looking on the internet and found it was something that I could make with a homemade starter and that it was a very unique bread, so I was intrigued. I found a recipe as well as some youtube tutorials on how to make the starter and the bread from start to finish. Here's the problem. I have tried to make the starter TWICE now and I can't seem to get the "bubbles" on top that they say you need to continue. I've done everything according to instruction. I have organic cornmeal with the germ still included, I scald the milk (raw milk even...isn't that what grandma used to make her salt rising bread for years?), mix the ingredients in a jar and place it in an electric skillet full of water and I watched the temp like a hawk to make sure it stayed right around 105 degrees. I wait....and wait....and wait...it eventually separates and leaves a thick chunk on top and smells "cheesy" like it says it will, but never any bubbles and it never really rises either. I'd even leave it for up to 24 hours waiting and still nothing. What in the world am I doing wrong??? I've never been so challenged in the kitchen. I can ALWAYS figure things out and perfect them, but this darn salt bread has got me stumped :( Someone help....

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/409/Salt_Rising_Bread14263.shtml
This recipe has potatoes in it also. I had always heard that salt stops the yeast process?!? I guess you learn something new everyday. I hope you get it to work.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Salt rising bread help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page