True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  06:22:45 AM  Show Profile

Hi farmgirls!

My family and I celebration the tradition of Advent each year - it is just such a special time of preparation for Christmas! As a family we have special Scripture readings, family prayer... our Advent wreath is very simple. This year Advent begins Sunday, November 28th... I just can't wait!

I am wondering if any of you celebrate Advent, too?

Do you have any special traditions that you'd like to share?

Does anyone do a Jesse Tree? If so, what is yours like?

I would love to see pictures!!!

Oh! And I just loved MaryJane's and Meg's homemade Advent calendars in MJF's recent issue, didn't you? I'm inspired - I want to make BOTH!!! :)

I know we're just coming upon Thanksgiving - oh, but it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas to me! I am hearing that song in my head, and finding myself humming it often throughout the day! Hee hee hee... It really IS the most wonderful time of the year!!!

Happy celebrations! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2010 :  07:01:20 AM  Show Profile
We celebrate Advent at our home and the boys that are still at home take such delight in the Jesse Tree. Our Jesse Tree is always made from a large branch that we find in our woods and bring in. I just love the memories we get every year and from hearing out the boys' interpretation of the stories mature from year to year.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile
We are doing a book called "Countdown to Christmas" with our kids in school this year. It has stories and activities for every day. I think they will enjoy that this year.

Where are the homemade Advent calendars? In the magazine? I love Advent calendars and nativities.
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I don't have Advent in our house. I wanted to create one but not enough time. Maybe next year...just need some ideas.
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile
It has always been a tradition in our home to do a Advent wreath. Our church always gives us a spiritual brochure that we can follow and pray. This Sunday my sisters and our children were invited to light the first candle on the Advent wreath at church. We were contacted by Sister Lucia of the church. We lost our mom this past January 7th and understanding how difficult this time could be for us, she felt it would give us peace and serenity for celebrating the path to Jesus' birth. What a beautiful way to begin the Season. Amen!

gerri
Farmgirl Sister #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile
We do celebrate Advent. We have a lovely Advent wreath that we light each Sunday at dinner. The kids take turns reading a devotional from a couple books that I have. We also have a paper Advent calendar that I picked up at the Hallmark with a daily scripture or saying. Since my kids are still fairly young they have individual advent calendars that they open & there's a surprise inside!! Magnus has a Lego one & Annika a Polly Pocket one. One of my favorite books for this time of year is: The Adventure of Christmas: Helping Children Find Jesus in Our Holiday Traditions by Lisa Whelchel

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Christmas-Helping-Children-Traditions/dp/1590520890

Have a Blessed Advent everyone!
Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Nini, ever since I can remember we have had an advent calendar, made by mom when I was quite small out of felt. 24 pockets contained tiny little treasures that my mom had carefully picked out. I can distinctly remember most of them. Sadly, the calendar disappeared one year in move, but we have "made do" ever since. This year, I am on a quest to make one of my own from scratch.
And your wreath! Oh what memories it brings back of our dinner table when I was growing up. We always had one, and it was very special.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  05:54:06 AM  Show Profile
We do the candles every year. I love the quiet and peace it brings for a moment to dinnertime. We have gone through some interesting incarnations of the wreath- this year just four votives on a pretty plate with some greens - I think it is a beautiful tradition!
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Advent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page