Author Try This: Previous Topic Deliver us from fruit flies Next Topic  

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  10:51:23 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a solution to getting rid of fruit flies? <groan> I'd prefer to not refrigerate my fruits, but they are making the kitchen most unpleasant to be in!

Any ideas, wise women?

Cari

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Do a search for fruitflies on this forum as this topic comes up from time to time. Under "Garden Gate" there is "FruitFly FYI" and under "Cleaning Up" look for "fruit flies in my home"

I guess with the warm weather, fruit flies are becoming a problem. I feel bad about killing them (they are just adorable looking flies), but I'm rather protective of my fruit. -Cat
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  6:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Are flies adorable looking? I've never stopped to check while reaching for my swatter.

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Some flies are cuter than others. Tephritid flies (fruit flies) are pretty cute. Blowflies and carrion flies, not so cute. Flowerflies are the cutest ever! I'm a fly girl though so I'm biased. :) -Cat
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  12:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea. I'll check out the postings ... oh, if our kitchens had to have little flying ones in them, why couldn't they be butterflies? :-)

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  10:28:46 PM  Show Profile
I'll take flies any day of the week! Butterflies and the scales on their wings, just BAD! If you have too my butterflies or moths and they are around all the time, you have to be very careful about NOT inhaling their scales. It's really, REALLY bad for your lungs. For the average person, this isn't a problem, but for people who handle moths and butterflies on a daily basis, it's a very definite hazard.

Then again, I'm very biased. I got my entomology start in a fly lab. I was indoctrinated into believing that butterflies are (now, say this in the most condescending voice possible) "charismatic macro-fauna" and just not worth the time of day. I'm not saying there aren't butterflies and moths that I like (monarch, hummingbird moths, glass wing butterflies and morpho butterflies spring to mind), but for the most part, they don't peak my fancy. I'm constantly at odds with a very good friend of mine who got her start studying butterflies and moths and who ultimately did a graduate degree studying moths. We constantly argue over what insect group is the best. It's a lot of fun. -Cat
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  05:46:50 AM  Show Profile
There's another thread about this on the Kitchen topic.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

maerwert
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Mary
Mulino OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  5:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Place a small dish with about 1/2 cup cider vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing liquid in it on your counter. I will soon fill up with the pesky devils. I change it every other day or so depending on the infestation level.

berrypatchmom
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  04:45:54 AM  Show Profile
I put a bit of plain vinegar in a small clear bowl, then cover very tightly with seran wrap, poke holes in it. Sometimes, i put some white wine instead with a piece of banana. Works like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  7:24:18 PM  Show Profile
I use the same technique as Maerwert. It really does work.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Deliver us from fruit flies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page