Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Try This
 Awesome farm girl idea: Loco Locavores
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Awesome farm girl idea: Loco Locavores Next Topic  

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  09:43:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi there fellow farm girls. I came across a website that is really ingenious. The Roberts family of Palouse is spending a year living ONLY on products that are produced within a 250 mile radius of their home.

How will they live without oranges? What will they us in replace of bananas? No Papaya for them. What about coffee? Wheat for bread? They have to buy it from us as we are local farmers. What about sugar? I guess they will have to use local honey instead. The list goes on and on....The prep work for this project is just getting underway as they try to prepare for everything that they will need for the year.

I highly suggested you bookmark this website. It had really made me think about what I buy and what I would have to live without if there were no local supermarket to run to.

THE WEBSITE: http://locolocavores.wordpress.com/

Amy
For info on Amy's book visit: www.amywarwick.com

Edited by - Amy Warwick on Sep 15 2009 09:44:28 AM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever read Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? They did the exact same thing.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sanderfam
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Renae
MN
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  9:55:10 PM  Show Profile
The book Plenty by Alyssa Smith chronicles their life on a 100 mile diet and they live way up in Canada. I thought about trying it for a week or month and even that made me cringe.
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  1:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Neat! I would love to follow their journey and see what happens. Thanks for the link!

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zereen
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kimberly
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Zereen's MSN Messenger address  Send Zereen a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for the link.

I would love to do this, but I should wait until my kids are older and I can move into a small cabin in the woods. ;)
I'm sure everyone here probably knows this but a easy more simple way of doing this is to buy from your local Farmers Market. IDK about Farmers markets around the U.S. but here in Oklahoma City they have all kinds of things.Like Produce,knits,plants,worm castings,clothes, soaps,teas...basically everything I love! I think people should cut back on going to wal-mart,target..ect and help out their local economy.

{Deep in my bones}
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  5:36:51 PM  Show Profile
You got it Kimberly!! I sorta remember as a small child that certain fruits and veggies were just seasonal and we had to wait for summer to have Oranges, Strawberries etc. People ate what grew around them. Buy local--eat local--be healthy. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Awesome farm girl idea: Loco Locavores Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page