Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Any Graphic Or Interior Designers Here?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Any Graphic Or Interior Designers Here? Next Topic  

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  03:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

I'm working on a new career...after spending the past 7 years of my working life in Human Services, I'm ready for a change. I've worked as a case manager and secretary during that time but didn't enjoy either one.

All my life I've been creative and now I want to pursue a career in graphic design, commercial art or interior design. If you work or have worked in any of these areas, would you mind posting about your experience, or emailing me privately? I would really appreciate it.

I'm in a great position right now to take university classes for FREE at the university I'm employed at. I want to make the best use of my time there, whether it's working on a second bachelors (my first is in psychology) or just taking classes to learn the basics.

Any ideas/advice would be very helpful.

Thanks!
-Joy

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  03:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I haven't but it has been a dream of mine also.........good luck!! And have FUN!!

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  05:56:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks DragonFly...I'm really enjoying my first every painting class and plan to continue on with my studies until I find out exactly which direction to go in.

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Joy -

I am not a graphic designer or interior designer, but I did go to art school for a few years and studied photography. One thing to keep in mind is how is the job market in your area for these fields. I know in the portland area there are interior designers by the dozens and to make a living is okay, but there is so much competition here. Also it is the same for commercial artists. Now graphic design can be very flexible as far as jobs go - you can design newspapers, work for a company that puts out its own product catalogs, work for someone like Nike or Columbia Sports Wear - there are endless possiblilties to be creative and still make a living. Just something to think about, I know when I was in art school that was a big question among both fine and graphic artists, how will I make a living doing what I love? Good luck with the new career, it is great you are able to make a change from something that you don't enjoy to something more fullfilling.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on Jun 11 2006 07:28:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  1:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Anne, I've been out of town and didn't get to respond to your post earlier. I like that there are a lot of different avenues within the graphic design field...I love change and trying new things and I like the variety that seems to come with the field. Thanks for your ideas and sharing your experiences!

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  5:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I am a graphic designer. I have been self-employed for many years now, before that I worked for a national magazine and a major newspaper.

I am not sure what direction to best point you in - work for us is hard to get, and rarely pays as well as it should unless you work for an ad agency, which is very competitive, or yourself (which means, you are salesperson, the IT department, accounting, public relations, bookeeper, advertising manager and THEN a graphic designer).

I personally would rather be self-employed than work for anyone. And, after a few years of working hard to get established, it is very rewarding and I love what I do.

A good place to pose your questions is www.graphicdesignforum.com. Or you may email me. My email is on my website, www.blueskydesigngroup.com

Lynn
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  04:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn,

Thanks so much for writing~I checked out the forum you suggested and it looks great...I will make time to explore it more fully soon. Also, I went to your website~it's beautiful! I LOVE the altered photos along the top, it's totally unlike anything I've seen before. My father just loaned me his photoshop book and I'm going to get a free download of the program to start playing with it and see what I can learn. I am also researching different education options (pursue degree, taking the software and basic design courses, etc.). What I'm struggling with (and perhaps I should email you privately to ask this), is whether or not I should try to get into a printing/graphic design business now, even as a receptionist, and try to get some hands on training or keep my job at the university that I work at and take classes. I'm really not enjoying my job at all but will stick it out if it means I can get some free courses and education under my belt. Ideas?

Go to Top of Page

jamsnbread
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Is
Worth IL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  9:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Send jamsnbread an AOL message  Click to see jamsnbread's MSN Messenger address  Send jamsnbread a Yahoo! Message
You may also want to look into logo design. A lot of web site owners and new businesses are always looking for someone to create their logos. The pay is good if the work is good.

Might be something you may want to look into.

Isabel

Jams -N- Bread
www.jams-n-bread.com
info@jams-n-bread.com

C & A Computer Services
www.cacrs.com
info@cacrs.com
Go to Top of Page

Presidio
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

christina
Alderson West Virginia
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  08:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Presidio an AOL message
I work for Presidio Studios. We're an advertising agency so we do web sites, print work, anything really. I love being creative and it's great to see your brochures and rack cards lying about. It is demanding, though, and often not very fun. It's hard to be creative and give someone what they want at the same time. Especially when they want crap and there is nothing you can do about it. I have created some very nice things and had clients hate it. It's hard to deal with sometimes because you put so much of yourself into the things you create. And then you have your clients that want thier stuff done NOW! And normally there are about TEN clients at a time who want it NOW! It tends to be fast paced and I hardly have time to breath. Stress is my middle name. I'm actually working on starting my own business so perhaps one day I'll only be working on my own marketing materials.
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  2:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all SO much for the help and suggestions. I am currently working for a temp agency and have been placed in an architectural firm...I work closely with the graphic designer here and it has been a BIG eye-opener! Her work seems really boring and not anything that I would like to do. I'm happy that I've seen what it's "really" like before I work on a second degree/pursue that field.

So, now it's back to square #1, except that I have a list of other careers I'm interested in...the top one is the one I'm researching next. Check out my new thread if you are interested~thanks! :)

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Any Graphic Or Interior Designers Here? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page