therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  11:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! I am in the process of getting a website for my sewing business. I have found someone to host the site but when I tried to register my domain name it was taken. I was registering therusticcottage.com. But therusticcottage.net is available. So my question is for those that have websites for your businesses. Do you think it makes a difference whether it is a .com or .net? Just wanted to get opinions before I committed.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"

eclectic-dreams
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Sharyn
Utah
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  2:01:32 PM  Show Profile

Using .com is usually the best mainly because more people are familiar with it. You may tell someone to go to yoursite.net but they'll often forget and automatically put in the .net.

Also, here's an article that also talks about .com vs. .net http://www.onlineforsuccess.com/domain-com.htm

Other alternatives you could try is to maybe replace "the" with "a" as in arusticcottage.com. Or try something like rusticcottagesewing.com, sewrusticcottage.com, rusticcottageshop.com, etc. Those last few are actually kind of long. Short is usually better, so you could also just try sewrustic.com. But only you can really decide what is best. But your business name does not have to match your domain name exactly, although that is ideal.

By the way a good tool to come up with website names is at http://www.domainsbot.com it helps you come up with synonyms and stuff. It's sort of like a thesaurus for domain names.
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  10:15:54 AM  Show Profile
You might also think about registering your name just in case you think you might ever need it as a website. The nice thing about using your name is that if people know you, it's so easy for them to remember your website's address.

Even if you don't have a full-on website using "yourname.com," the person who designs your site can set it up so that if people go to "yourname.com" it automatically takes them to "rusticcottage.com" or whatever you choose. I also like it for e-mail, because I can tell people "Anything addressed to 'myname.com' gets to me," so it's a very easy e-mail address for people to remember. Of course, registering a second domain costs a little more money, but I've found it useful.

Just a thought...

Edited by - amystew on Sep 12 2005 10:19:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

jamsnbread
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Is
Worth IL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  10:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Send jamsnbread an AOL message  Click to see jamsnbread's MSN Messenger address  Send jamsnbread a Yahoo! Message
You may also want to try the extension .biz which is new but you may find your exact business name available.

Isabel

Jams -N- Bread
www.jams-n-bread.com
info@jams-n-bread.com

C & A Computer Services
www.cacrs.com
info@cacrs.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  04:47:39 AM  Show Profile
I would stick with a .com. if someone remembers just the name "therusticcottage" chances are they will try a .com first. I had the same problem recently when I registered www.willowtreecreek.com I wanted somthing else similar (can't even remember now!) but it was taken. I am really pleased with what I chose. Look at the page that is registered in the name that you want if it is something COMPLETLY different than what you want to offer a .net might work because if someone accidentally went to the other page they would know they were in the wrong place.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile
I am working on my website and chose rusticcottagecreations.com. Thanks Julie for the recommend to web.com.

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  5:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Sure! I had a little trouble when I set up some of my Paypal stuff. I couldn't figure out how to add the shipping but now I got it figured out so if you have any questions just let me know and I'll try to help.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Presidio
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

christina
Alderson West Virginia
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  08:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Presidio an AOL message
At my agency we usually try and use another name. People are easily mixed up and you don't want to loose your identity by having a website so similar to anothers.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  3:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kay:

I would try to stay with .com because that's what everyone is used to typing in on searches. I went through three pages of possible names before I finally was able to get a name not taken and the name has endless possibilities of things I can do. There are people who come up with names just to sell. It's a big business. I am using a web host called Host Cabin Web Services. Very reasonable in price and very helpful. My business name is Kennel Creations which implies that I create things for kennels, dogs, pets, etc. However, I need more products for that side of my business. Good Luck!!

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Website Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page