Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What's your favorite cookbook? Next Topic
Page: of 2

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Another fun one is the Little House on the Prairie cookbook...recipes for some of the dishes mentioned in the series. I just bought it, and will post about the results as soon as I try it (right now I'm having too much fun just reading it).
Shelly
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  5:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Shelly, do they have the Cinnamon Chicken recipe in the book?

I just got Ina Garten's newest "Barefoot Contessa, How Easy Is That?" cookbook. I've made several things so far and they have all been superb!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  6:44:26 PM  Show Profile
I love this topic - I have a lot of cookbooks. I was teaching my boss to can this summer and was talking about my cookbook collection - she asked how many I have and I estimated about 50 or 60 - when I got home I was sort of curious so I counted, turns out I have (or had, I've collected a couple more since then) 150 plus. I'd say I have an addiction too, and I too read them like novels. My favorites are old community cookbooks, Betty Crocker, the Farm Journal cookbooks, and Susan Hermann Loomis' french cookbooks. I've gotten some new ideas from this post though, like I needed any help!!:D

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  2:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Joy of Cooking is the best overall cookbook I have ever used, but there are others that stand out for specialty books. Anything by Rose Levy Beranbaum is excellent (The Cake Bible), as are any of the Maida Heatter books. Barbara Kafka's Roasting and her Microwave Gourmet are superb, all the bread books by Peter Reinhart are incredible, and I am personally fond of the Silver Palette series as well as anything by Moosewood. I have a very old cookbook called The Spice Cookbook that is wonderful and appears occasionally in used bookstores, and The Vegetarian Epicure is another favorite. I love food, and cooking, and probably have way too many cookbooks lol!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Yum, Cookbooks my favorite thing to sit and ponder through. My favorite cookbook is "More-with-less Cookbook" by Doris Longacre. It was first published in 1976, when I purchased my copy it was on its 43rd printing and that was 1996. I just checked on Amazon to see if it was still in print and looks like it was reprinted again in 2003.
My favorite recipe is a Honey baked Chicken and then ginger-glazed carrots. This is one that my grown children now bake for their children. Doris Longacre was a Mennonite ahead of her time when she gathered for this book. The cover says about the cookbook "suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  8:20:51 PM  Show Profile
I have tons of vintage cookbooks. My favorite cookbooks are generally rural farm cooking or ethnic farm cooking - they usually don't call for ingredients you don't already have, they always cook/bake from scratch, and they generally call for a lot of fresh produce. They also have interesting and unusual ways of preparing ordinary ingredients.

Dorie Greenspan's Baking Book is a great one. But I generally cull from online and old cookbooks to write in a big hardcover, spiral-bound notebook that serves as my own, handwritten, favorite cookbook! :)

Katherine Rae Eighmey's "Hearts and Hearths" is a great one - it uses historic farm recipes from the 1890s to the 1930s.

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  07:03:33 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by vintagejenta
[br But I generally cull from online and old cookbooks to write in a big hardcover, spiral-bound notebook that serves as my own, handwritten, favorite cookbook! :)

I do the same. My personal book is a lime green binder.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile
The "More-With-Less" cookbook is my favorite also. I always felt that "Living More with Less" was a companion book. I am not mennonite, however, those books really touched me. Together, the two books have made great shower or wedding gifts, and off to college gifts.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile
I have four that I absolutely cannot live without (and those are three out of about 60 or so).

1. The Victory Garden (PBS Series) Vegetable cookbook. Written in the late 70's, early 80's; it goes through each vegetable that you can plant, from planting instructions to harvest instructions and has 3 pages of recipes per vege. AWESOME reference and good food, to boot.

2. Prairie Home Cooking by Judith Fertig. An all time favorite cookbook--basically, a comprehensive look at our female ancestors and their (recipe) migrations to the midwest from all points across the pond and from Canada. When I first looked at the book, it fell open to a recipe for cottage ham and green beans. I said, "this is for me!" And, to boot, I found the "fabled" recipe for the sugar cream pie my Great Grandmother always made, but never wrote down and it died with her. She mixed the pie with her fingers, as she was taught, in the pie crust before and during baking. IT'S IN THIS COOKBOOK!!!! I even wrote the author, I was so excited to find it, and got a lovely email in return.

3. Fannie Farmer. I have my mom's. It's a great "go to" for any basic thing you could ever want.

4. The Naked Chef, Jamie Oliver. He's just the best--pure, simple production of food to get the best flavor.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  5:41:40 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple favorite cookbooks....

Mad about Muffins
Family Fun Cookbook
Anne of Green Gables cookbook

~Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:24:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a ton of cookbooks. I wrote a newspaper column called "Kitchen Snooping". I received lots of freebees and reviewed many. The old Joy of Cooking is one of my favorites along with the 50's Betty Crocker cookbook. Any cookbook that has recipes from scratch is usually great because you can choose what organic ingredients you use. We're diabetic at our house (my husband for 44 years) so I have used many sugar substitutes over the years. I wish we could honey, but it is still sugar. It's hard for me because Chocolate is my middle name.(lol)

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  6:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
My all-time favorite is my old red-checked Better Homes & Gardens cookbook from the 1960's. My mom passed along years ago and it's my "bible" for all things culinary. I've gotten and even developed some of my best recipes from it. Bread & butter pickles, custards, and how to can fruits & vegetables.

Other than that, a close second is one of the too many church cookbooks I've purchased over the years. They are real recipes by real people who really cook. I can always count on them to be practical and delicious!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513

Be fruitful today!
Go to Top of Page

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile
My favorite cookbooks have mostly come from auctions. If its tattered and torn, has loose stitching, visible fingerprint smears and hand writings in the margins 10-1 they go home with me. Don't get me wrong I love the vintage books in great condition, but a well used cookbook that is rough around the edges just screams to me...TAKE ME HOME.
I have a new current fave, "The Memorial Edition of Dr. A. W. Chase's Third Last and Complete Receipt Book and Household Physician. Copyright 1887. I picked it up free at an auction. They were cleaning up after and the auctioneer said "Take what you want, if it's here in 1/2 an hour it goes in the trash." Well you don't have to tell me twice. Now my only problem is I want the first two books as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic What's your favorite cookbook? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page