Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone ever use the low-methoxyl pectin? WOW
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone ever use the low-methoxyl pectin? WOW Next Topic  

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:07:50 AM  Show Profile
Earlier this year I bought some Pomona universal pectin (http://www.pomonapectin.com/faqs.html), because I was sick and tired of tasting nothing but sugar in my jellies and jams, and this promised a low to no-sugar method.

I LOVE IT. I just made 2 batches of jelly and they turned out beautiful! To me, it even jells better than the 'regular' pectin. Plus, you get 2 to 4 batches of jam/jelly out of one box. For 4 half-pints of jelly, I only used 1.5 cups of sugar. A LOT better than the SEVEN cups of sugar I would have had to use normally. Bleech! You can actually taste the fruit!

The main difference is that ahead of time, you mix up 'calcium water' (powder is in the box) and add this to your juice as it is heating. Then you mix the pectin in with the sugar (or honey,agave,whatever), and add it when the juice is boiling. I did notice that there doesn't seem to be much 'sheeting' action when you perform the 'cold spoon test', but after it set for just a minute, the top had already gelled over.

I am very pleased with this!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Amanda!

Have you tried using MaryJane's Chill Over to make jam yet? It is wonderful and you don't need hardly any sugar if the fruit is sweet! It's amazing and very simple to do!

Chillover® Strawberry Jam

2 lbs. strawberries, washed, hulled and crushed
to yield 4 cups crushed berries
2 cups organic cane sugar
2 packets MaryJane's Chillover® Powder

1. Combine crushed strawberries and sugar in a large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
2. Sprinkle and stir Chillover Powder into liquid and boil rapidly for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and can in sterile jars (refer to a canning manual for complete canning instructions).

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:27:28 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I have not tried that yet, but I will one day!

NUTS! Just called our local store and they're out of my pectin! Now what am I supposed to do with this thawing juice? Lol. I guess I'll make raspberry lemonade. Oh well.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Well, there's another thing to put on my "to try" list! Sounds great. My husband can't have much sugar and so this sounds like a wonderful answer. I hate the "no sugar" stuff that is just standard. Can't wait to try this.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  1:48:06 PM  Show Profile
It IS great. I love how it gels, too. Anyway, now that I can't find it anywhere in town (eye roll) I bought some of the low to no-sugar by Ball. We shall see how that goes!!!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  1:52:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm very interested in trying the Pomona pectin. I'd also like to hear how the Ball low to no-sugar compares. Thanks, Amanda.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  7:27:02 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE using Pomona pectin and have used it for over 20 years! I really like that my jams tastes so fresh and I can adjust the amount and kind of sugar. It's so fun to make new varieties with the standard recipes adjusting the ingredients according to my tastes :)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  07:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Amanda.
I have wanted to give it a try but hadn't known of anyone who ahd used it.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  5:29:43 PM  Show Profile
I'll report more tomorrow, gals! Today was baking day...I made rolls, 2 loaves of bread and a pan of cinnamon rolls. Had to give myself a canning break, lol.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  7:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Ok, ladies, here is the official report on the Ball low to no-sugar pectin. Today I made 2 batches of peach jam using the Ball pectin. I am really pleased with how it turned out! I would recommend this to anyone, but here are the differences between it and the Pomona brand:

Pomona:

You use calcium water (powder is included in pkg), which is added to fruit/juice before boiling.

Pectin is mixed into your sugar/sweetener prior to adding it to your fruit/juice.

Fruit is brought to a boil first, THEN the pectin/sugar mix is added in, then returned to a boil.

After the second boil, you do not have to bring the product to a hard boil for 3 minutes (as with Ball pectin)...rather, you just bring it back to a boil, then turn off the heat.

Cost is cheaper per batch. Approximately 1/2 the cost, or even 1/4 cost if you're making jam, per batch when compared to Ball, but prices vary.

Pomona comes with 2 packages of pectin per box.

Gelling point is not as noticable with Pomona's, however, it seems to set much easier than Ball. The 'spoon test' performed on Pomona's did not indicate gelling, however, it set up very quickly after heat was turned off.

Jelly set is almost immediate after the heat is turned off, and set is quite firm.

Ball Low to No-Sugar Pectin:

When making jam, you need to add in 1 cup of apple or white grape juice to your fruit.

As with regular pectin, you will need to bring your fruit mixture to a full rolling boil (that cannot be stirred down) two times in the jam/jelly making procedure. During the second boil, I noticed how crucial it is to get the fruit mix to reach the gelling point. You MUST allow it to come to a hard boil for 3 minutes. I noticed the change happen quite suddenly, when the mixture became very thick during my stirring it down.

It seems to not set as firm as Pomona. It seems to be a bit more spreadable right out of the jar. With the Pomona jelly, I had to stir it up in the jar before using it so that it would spread better. This is not a complaint on the part of the Ball pectin; I actually prefer this type of set myself.

So:

I would say this: Pomona sets up like magic. If you are a newbie to jelly/jam-making, this, to me, seems like a more fail-proof pectin. Set was a lot more firm and a lot more immediate. Also, it is quicker because you do not have to bring it to a hard boil for a full 3 minutes in the end.

Ball seems to create a jam with good spreadability, and it does help that I have had jam making experience so I can tell when the gelling point is reached.

The Verdict

I enjoyed both pectins immensely. I can actually taste FRUIT in both recipes rather than sugar. I was able to leave some of the natural fruit tartness which I think makes for a wonderful spread. With the Pomona recipe, I used 1.5 cups of sugar for a batch, and with the Ball I used 3/4 cups. This difference was probably due to the fact that the peaches were already sweetened with apple juice prior to me freezing them. (I use juice rather than sugar before I freeze them) I think that Pomona is wonderful and would be first-rate for anyone; especially for newbies. I think it would probably also make a phenomenal cranberry jelly! The Ball pectin is much easier to find, and still produces a great product. I would suggest either to you! I will probably continue to use both, depending on what kind of texture I am trying to create with my jams/jellies. Now I need to try making a jam with Pomona and a jelly with Ball. That will be for next time!!!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone ever use the low-methoxyl pectin? WOW Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page