kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  05:46:49 AM  Show Profile
I have a deer in the freezer and need some good recipes now. I just took out some cube steak. I usually would coat it in flour and fry it and have mashed potatoes and gravy. But not anymore. So is there a good healthy way to cook cube steak without the flour? Can they be baked maybe?

And I have heard never to salt deer meat while it's cooking as that will make the meat tough. I am cutting out salt anyway. So are there any good herbs and spices that go with deer meat?

Thank you. I know there are lots of farmgirls that eat deer meat and have lots of good yummy recipes that they have tried and love.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  12:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I don't actually have cube steak, but I often cut thin deer steaks (about 3" round?) and pound them out (so that would probably be similar to cube steak), dredge lightly in seasoned flour, saute in a small amount of olive oil, then add onions and mushrooms and continue to saute til soft, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste and cook down for a few minutes, then add water or beef broth, scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan, and let it simmer stovetop for 1/2 hour or so. i always throw in some herbs and garlic along the way too. As far as herbs go, I use whatever I would usually use if this was beef. So in this case, maybe thyme and parsley. Serve with noodles or potatoes. I made this on Sunday and added frozen peas and carrots toward the end, so it ended up almost like stew ('cause I was lazy and didn't want to cook separate veggies).

Edited by - mickib on Nov 09 2010 12:46:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  2:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Michele. That sounds good and easy too. I'll try this tomorrow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  3:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Kris
First of all,I pressure can all of my deer neat, EXCEPT for the really good cuts. When hubby's friend gets a deer, he asks me how I want mine & I always have it done in stew chunks. If you have some in the freezer, you could still do this. Cut in chunks, pack down, add 1t salt to 1 qt & pressure can for 90 min at 10lbs pressure(here at least) You do not have to add water. It makes its own juice & comes out fork tender. I just popped open a can last night, sauteed onions, carrots, added peas, potatoes, made a little flour gravy & added a make do crust.(kind of like MJ's Bakeover) Popped in the oven for 20 minutes & it was like a delicious pot pie.
I also make bbq with this meat, as it is so tender. & add to noodles or basmati rice. It is so versatile, & doesn't take up freezer space.
I also took the ground venison, added taco seasoning & canned in pint jars for easy Mexican nights.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  3:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Kris, I didn't see that you are trying to steer clear of carbs, but this is still a good way to process the venison. Also, you may want to buy some whey protein powder.(make sure to get plain for cooking purposes) It can be used in place of flour in many recipes, & you could do mashed cauliflower, turnips, parsnips or Daikon radish in place of potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  7:35:16 PM  Show Profile
I cook with venison and elk a lot. But the steaks are almost always dredged in flour and fried in olive oil. That's how my husband prefers them. I have cooked deer steaks in the crockpot w/o flour for a shredded beef type filling. Or cut in cubes and use in chili. You can slice it thinly while still partially frozen for stir-fry or fajitas, just change your seasonings. I find that I can use venison the same as beef with the exception of grilled steaks.

As far as hebs and spices, I would think that anything one would use for game would work. Specifically rosemary and thyme.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  8:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I love mashed cauliflower. It is so good.I am not going to stop eating potatoes forever though. That pot pie sounds really good. Thanks so much for telling me about that. I have never canned meat before. I want to do it though. I am going to be butchering some roosters and I might can that.

Thanks Loyce for all your suggestions too. I am sure going to be cooking alot of this meat so I really appreciate all ya'll help here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Venison Recipes Please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page