True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  4:49:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,
I was reading Nov/Dec issue of BWH mag... And they have an article about making cheese. I was wanting to know what some things they are taking about were? And what they are for? And do you have to use them to make cheese? Lipase Powder, thermophilic starter, animal rennet, liquid rennet, cheese making salt, mesophilic starter? Did the people that first made cheese need or have these things?

Thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  04:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey Deborah. I make cheese. I ordered all that stuff but only have ever used the rennet so far. I made feta cheese yesterday using buttermilk and rennet. I am going to make Chevre later this week and that's also what I use. But to make the hard cheeses and fancier cheeses, you need all the other things. I orderd mine from Hoegger out of Atlanta. I am also going to make some farmhouse cheese and I got the recipe from the old Rodale cookbook. It uses buttermilk and rennet too. This is an old recipe. There are also some really old ways to make cheese in the Foxfire books. So no, back then they didn't use all that stuff. Just animal stomach, which is what rennet is made from. Also there is a recipe for thistle cheese using thistle flower heads, which is what vegetable rennet is made from. And vinegar also curdles cheese for softer cheeses.

I know there are others that know so much more about cheese making. I hope they can help. Maybe be more technical for you. Cheese making is fun and oh so easy to do. There really isn't alot to it. Just make sure you have all the right equipment, like stainless steal pots and utensils. And a really good thermometer that measures below 100, because most cheeses just heat milk to 86.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  07:13:36 AM  Show Profile
hi there, yes kris is right about the ingredients. sodium chloride is used mostly in store bought milk. it helps it curd and set up. lipase is the calf gut or you can order a vegan one. the mesophylic stuff is the specific bacteria needing to grow to make cheese. such as mozzarella. i am no expert i am still learning too. i have a cow in milk so i need to make stuff with it. i ordered the large cheese kit from leeners. it gives you all you need to do small batches of cheese. the book comes with it. you start with soft cheese and move through the book. each cheese teaches you another step. when you get to hard cheddar your ready skill wise. so it depends on what kind of cheese you are making as to what bacteria and curding you need. hope this helps some happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  4:02:48 PM  Show Profile
I knew you ladies would help. And boy! did you....so much to learn...and so little time. I just got my birthday present today my daughter got me the Encyclopida of Country Living....I cant wait to get into it..Thanks again ladies
deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

biker farm girl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Patty
Mtn. View Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  6:27:11 PM  Show Profile
For most cheeses you need only simple equipment. Home Cheese Making by Rikki Caroll is a must read. Be sure your milk is clean tasting and fresh, don't just use your older milk. I use white organza, hemmed, for my cheesecloth and it lasts for years and can be washed easily, and the weave is small enough that no curd is lost. DO NOT use "Cheesecloth" from most any store, it will be useless and a whole batch of cheese may go down the sink. (I drain my curds from a cord that hangs above my sink). Don't dump the whey, either. I catch it in a large stockpot. Use it in the garden or let the chickens and dogs have their fill. It is good for them all. There are other uses for whey also. Have fun and don't experiment too much, especially at first. Keep everything clean.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  03:55:35 AM  Show Profile
What great information! My cheese loving 9 yo daughter has asked for a cheese making kit for Christmas. I'll get her the mozzarella kit and possibly the soft cheese kit. I've only looked at Cultures for Health - thanks for the other companies. I'll look there as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile
You can find nonanimal rennet as well.. One I found is made from stinging nettles which I will try out next year. When (I hope) we get our first cow!

Animal rennet is collected from newborn calves and sheep's 4th stomach and for that reason I will not use it.

Good luck!

Edited by - medievalcat on Dec 13 2010 10:15:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic making cheese questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page