cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  3:52:27 PM  Show Profile
I need your cast iron skillet cornbread recipe for dinner tonight!

I have taco soup on the stove and mexican cornbread sounds yummy to go with it. I've never made my cornbread in my cast iron skillet (insane, I know). Do I do anything different than normal? Most recipes I've seen use buttermilk, but I've always used milk.

Your recipe or tips would be much appreciated!
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  8:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Tommie,

You should be able to make any cornbread recipe in your skillet. The trick to a great crust is to put your skillet in the oven while it's preheating with a couple of tablespoons of oil or bacon grease. When it gets to the right temperature, take out the skillet and pour in your batter. It will fry the edges and make a GREAT crust!

Here is my Mamaw's no-fail recipe:

1/3 cup oil or bacon drippings
2 eggs (farm eggs are best!)
1-1/4 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place about 1 Tbsp. of oil or bacon grease in pan and place into oven while heating.

Put oil and eggs in bowl and whisk together until creamy. Add milk and dry ingredients. Pour batter into hot pan and bake for approx. 18-20 minutes until crust is golden brown and center is set.

If you like sweet cornbread, you can add in honey or sugar to taste when you add in the other ingredients. I like mine sweet, so I do that. I have never measured it though!

This, to me, is THE greatest cornbread ever. It is cakelike in consistency and goes great with everything. I also loooove to slather a hot piece with butter and jelly! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  06:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Amanda,

Thank you!

I googled cast iron skillet cornbread last night and used a recipe very similar to yours. I did do a variation and added corn, chilli powder, and green chillis to make mexican cornbread. And I'm like you, I like sweet cornbread. But the recipe I was using didn't use sugar and it wasn't as good as it could have been. I'll be saving your recipe for next time. Because there will be a next time. I don't think I'll ever make cornbread in a pan again. It was so stinkin good!

Cast Iron lover
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  08:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Yum! I think I'm going to make this tonight and add some corn in it!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  8:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Lol, I don't use a baking pan anymore either. I also have a cast iron cornbread skillet, which is divided into 8 wedges and it's WONDERFUL. Snag one if you come across a good USA one someday! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Megan, you won't be sorry. Its scrumptious! Plus it makes the taco soup (or whatever your making w/ it) go a little farther. Which means leftovers the next day. Score!

Amanda, seriously...they make cornbread skillets!? Oh my heavens. I will keep my eyes peeled for sure. How nifty!

:)
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Lol! I'll have to try and get a pic for you. Oh, I forgot to say that I did add a pic of my cornbread in my Mamaw's old cast iron skillet to my blog. the link is in my signature below. It isn't the wedge pan, but I happened to have some bacon drippings in my regular skillet that day, so I used that.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  1:46:31 PM  Show Profile
I checked your blog, the cornbread looked great. I agree, the cake like texture was great. And a pic of the cornbread pan would be neat-o. Almost can't wrap my mind around that one. lol

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cast iron cornbread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page