pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Ooooooo!! I'm celebrating!!!....Just posted my 100th post!!! Whooooo Hooooooo!!! I'm a NERD, I know :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Yahoo. I haven't even noticed that our posting numbers are there. Boy and I observant! Not!!

Yes, you can use either or both. I went in and changed a few parts to include both white and whole wheat. My husband does not like totally whole wheat bread and so I mix whole wheat with white flour. The trick is to not go by exact amounts of flour in any recipe. You just add 1/2 cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached. In some breads, it will say until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl as it is mixing. My recipe does not do that. It is a more sticky dough that is very light. Anyway, hope it works for you!! I'm trying to figure out what I am going to be baking tomorrow too!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  06:03:31 AM  Show Profile
HOORAY!! It is bread day!! Been out of the loop lately with the posts. Having a lot of fun catching up!! I am going to make an irish soda bread today. Mostly because I have always wanted to try this type. This has me really getting the urge to continue and make bread all the time again. I used to make bread once a week. Then, thru the years 'life happened' and I just stopped a lot of baking, crafting etc. With finding MJF and the farmgirl friendships, I am finding my way back to the things I used to love to do again. It has been a great process!! MaryBeth, loved your blog and may order that cloth after the New Year. I live in an apt now and it would sure be a handy thing to use for baking within a smaller kitchen and dining area!! Far less mess I think! Beverly, have fun with this and just enjoy the process. Don't give up no matter what happens. At the risk of sounding like an Ingalls, or a Walton, he-he-he, both of which I just love by the way! Anyway, what I always loved about making bread was the process. I found the kneading, etc very relaxing and 'earthy'?? Maybe that sounds corny. But it sure beats the heck out of getting frustrated with our microwaves for being too slow!! Lol! Enjoy the bread day ladies!! Look forward to checking back thruout the day to see how everyone is doing! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  06:10:22 AM  Show Profile
yipee, i will make bread today when i get home. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  07:25:39 AM  Show Profile
Yeah! Today is bread day! I am going to the cookbooks as we speak!! I will let you know what I try later!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  07:59:03 AM  Show Profile
THought yesterday was today so I ground the wheat and made bread after a batch of croissants. The croissants are almost gone, and I know we can always use more bread.... So I will make another loaf today. I think it's going to be an orange-cranberry bread. yummm.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Yipeeeee it's here and 1 attempt down.....down the drain! :) LOL! I baked w/ my "mother" this morning. I let the 2 grapefruit-size loaves rise (NOT) overnight, maybe raised a frog's hair! Put them in the oven anyway at 6:40am. They rose another tiny bit while baking, enough to make them look like some sort of strange mushroom. In the end, they looked real nice, but were VERY dense. Did a a taste test, not bad but not much flavor at all. The good thing....I'm still here 4 hours later...LOL!!! Since there was not much flavor, I will not be trying the recipe on pg 13 of Bread the MJ Way......BUT...... I am going to try the recipe that Mary Beth mentioned a few posts above :) I WILL HAVE BREAD TODAY.....even if it kills me :)

Linda, thank you for the encouragement! I'm having fun w/ this....edible or not :) I will get the hang of it. I know, as with anything, practice makes perfect.

I'm going to keep feeding my mother (need to think of a name for her) and hopefully she'll mature enough in another week or two to produce a nice, yummy loaf of bread! I was thinking of calling her "Ma Baker"...LOL, I just keep picturing this old lady w/ her sons reeking havoc. Maybe, in time, her bread will be so good, it should be illegal?.?....

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 17 2010 09:18:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  10:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm a little late in the day to get started, but by golly, it's still today so I'm still in the mix (pun definitely intended)! I want to do something that I have never done before and so I decided to make English Muffins with the new muffin rings that just arrived. My mother used to make them - I am told - but she evidently quit when I came along. I guess 4 daughters and sewing took up her time. So anyway, I am going in to mix them now and will tell you if they succeeded or ended up in the trash!! :-) Yay for bread day!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  11:12:33 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread. I am going to bake a rustic peasant loaf tonight. The dough is resting in the refrigerator while I am working today. I will share the recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day with a picture tonight after my animal rescue group meeting. It will be kind of late. I think I will step outside tonight and take a deep breath in, maybe I will smell all the bread baking that is going on today!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  11:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Angie, the orange-cranberry sounds DE-LISH!!! Bread 2 days in a row....YOU GO GIRL!!! :)

Mary Beth, English Muffins....Mmmmm, Yummy!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Diane, jump right on in here! Glad to have ya! You do have a busy day :) I know I'm smellin' all that wonderful baking going on today :)

My 2nd attempt is currently rising in a nice, cozzy spot in the oven..... I HOPE!

Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  11:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Hooray for bread day! I am baking a light wheat buttermilk bread today. I bought the "America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book" about a year ago and this recipe is in there. I've "tweaked" it a tiny bit but it bakes up lovely. Don't y'all just adore the smell of fresh baking bread? YUM!

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. Haven't done anything like this before! These English Muffins, I mean. The sponge is rising right now and it is minus most of the flour. It's alive! It's popping and moving and really creepy. You have to let it rise and then totally collapse before you add the rest of the flour. I am out of my comfort zone! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:20:13 PM  Show Profile
My am got away from me!! Was doing things with daughter and grandaughter! I am making mine now as the irish soda bread does not have to rise ahead!! So, back this evening to let you all know how it went. Hang in there Beverly, keep trying different recipes and you will find one that works for you and your family! I want to try the MaryJane starter myself, but just haven't yet. Starters kinda scare me too. Yet, I was given the amish friendshep bread starter once and it worked great! Anyone ever done that one? Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:51:12 PM  Show Profile
Just arrived home from work. Going to start my whole wheat bread recipe now. I'll let you know later on how it all turns out. Happy Bread baking!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  1:44:26 PM  Show Profile
I decided to make oatmeal bread- a new recipe for me! It is yummy!
Oatmeal bread

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup molasses
1 T salt
1 T butter
2 cups boiling water
1 envelope yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1T sugar
1 cup oat flour
2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour

Mix the 1st five ingredients & stir til well mixed.
Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water & 1T sugar until frothy.
Stir the oat flour into the rolled oats mixture & let cool.
When it is lukewarm add the yeast.
Beat well & add the whole wheat flour.
Beat 2 or 3 minutes then set to rise.
When the dough has doubled, punch it down & put it in 2 greased bread pans.
Set in a warm place to rise again.
When risen put the pans in a cold oven.
Set the heat at 375 degrees & bake 25 minutes.
Then turn the heat to 350 degrees & bake 20 minutes more.
Butter the top after it is done & then let cool.

Remember this is a whole wheat bread & it has substance to it! It is great warm from the oven with butter on it! I can't wait to make some toast with it & some homemade jam!!! Yummy!!
Enjoy!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  2:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Karla, that sounds delicious!

YaHoooooooooooooooo!!! I did it!!! With a little help from my farmgirl friends!!! OK, a LOT of help :) I made the bread from Mary Beth's blog ( http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?m=200912 ) I made it with very little whole wheat, the rest unbleached AP. The other thing I did differently is...instead of using a loaf pan, I just put it on a sheet. It looks more like a baguette. As soon as it came out of the oven, snapped a few pics, cut it, snapped another pic and ATE IT!!! My son had some too.... he's on his 3rd piece! :)

This has been so awesome! I plan on baking bread on a regular basis now and improving with each loaf!

Will post pics later, need to upload & figure out how to get them posted :)

* * * THANK YOU ALL FOR JOINING ME * * *

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 17 2010 2:18:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  2:49:48 PM  Show Profile
You rock, Beverly; I am so glad you had a successful first go. Keep up the good work and no worries, you will get better the more you bake. The reason I always bake 2 loaves is because the first one gets eaten so quickly. Mine are in their pans almost ready to go in the oven so my DH will have a couple slices still warm when he gets home. I'm going to check out Mary Beth's recipe, and Mary Beth I can't wait to hear how your English Muffins turn out, it sounds like you're having fun making them. I love English Muffins so if this works for you I'm going to have a go at making some. I have a sourdough starter that is a little over 2 years old. It's not Mary Jane's recipe but one I found online before I found Mary Jane's magazine and this wonderful place. I had been given starters over the years and always killed them because I forgot to feed them. The lady who posted the recipe I found suggested giving your starter a name so you would remember it was alive and needed to be fed so I named mine Amelia. I have always loved stories about Amelia Earhart and decided that I wanted my starter to rise as high as possible. Yeah, I know I'm a bit odd but by golly my Amy's still going strong so it works for me. ;-P

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Hoooooray!!! To everyone!!! My Irish soda bread is done. Looks sooo pretty. Took a pic and I am with you Beverly. I will learn how to download pics. I am not too computer savvy. New at all this tech stuff, lol!! The taste of the bread is good, different. It is not a rising bread so it is dense. But good! Will toast some thin slices in am, think it will be really yummy toasted!! Thank you for doing this post Beverly. I t has been a fun one. I hope to keep on baking each week too. Love all you ladies have shared and will try some of your recipes. Have a great nite!Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Ok....I've been sick for a few days so I opted to use the bread machine so I wouldn't have to (think) much. LOL I made a light wheat bread with half wheat and half bread flour. It roe very nicely for me. Yeaaa! ...no dead birds this time!LOL

Here's my pic! :P

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Uh-oh...what happened to my pic?/!!! Gonna try again. hmmmm....it's not working today. What gives???

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Yipppeeee Beverly!!! Congratulations. You've just joined the ranks of bread officianados! :-) So glad that you were successful.

I was too! So excited. I made English Muffins and they worked! Awesome. My husband has just downed his second one. Here's a photo. Ta Da!!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I went to Imagehost.org and uploaded the photo and copied the "forum link" and pasted it into the body of the reply. Do a preview reply, before posting, because imagehost gives you a lot of syntax in the link that the forum doesn't use. It will show up on either side of the photo and you can then just go back to your draft and delete that part out.

Linda, I would love your Irish Soda Bread recipe. That is another thing that I've never made.

I'm thinking that I'll do a blog post on how to make the muffins and make egg sandwiches with them! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  4:39:17 PM  Show Profile
I made 3 loaves of bread today- 2 raisin cinnamon loaves and 1 Honey Oatmeal. I have made these types before but in honor of today I tried different recipes . Glad to see so many people participating.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  5:55:14 PM  Show Profile
One cranberry orange loaf today... And a stack of biscuits from MJF mix. Biscuits also count for bread in our house.LOL

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Angie, biscuits count for bread ANY day :)

Lillian, 3?!?!?!? WOW! How did the different recipes work?

Mary Beth, so glad to hear the muffins turned out! Will be watching for 'em on the blog :)

OK, I've got my pics...
2 loaves from "mother" going in the oven to rise overnight

After rising overnight, not much rise

This is out of the oven...don't look too bad, just no rise :(

This is Mary Beth's recipe, remember, I opted not to use a loaf pan

Finally, this is a look at the inside...Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Homemade Bread Day 11/17 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page