jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  12:16:46 PM  Show Profile
I make the same recipe most of the time, too, but also mix it up with an Italian bread, and a french bread sometimes. This sounds like fun!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  07:25:25 AM  Show Profile
I would love to participate, I love everything about baking bread. I remember my first loaves of whole wheat bread years ago; could have used them for foundation blocks but instead we just sliced them really really thin. ;-D

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile
WoooHooo!!! The numbers of bakers keeps rising Hoping my bread will do the same!

Brenda, maybe we can get together & sample each other's?

Jessie, glad to have you!

Jeannie, Mmmmm... French & Italian :)

Dianna, your "blocks" made me laugh. My husband told me if my 1st attempt turns out like that, I could not use it as a weapon!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 09 2010 08:18:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  1:24:32 PM  Show Profile
I am preparing for the 17th! Got my "mother" started....from the 1st topic in this forum... Bread the MJ Way. Been trying to read ALL the posts on that thread...Whewww ...what a job! I'll be (hopefully) baking the sour dough from mother & then there are a couple other recipes from farmgirls that I'll also be trying! I'm gonna be a Bread-Baking-Fool that day:)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  8:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I'll definitely be baking bread because I am now trying to find a good gluten free bread recipe, and I don't want to use yeast! Hrrumph. lol

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  4:20:34 PM  Show Profile
I think I am defintiely outclassed on this bread thread! But I will bake away with my simple recipe!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  4:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Brooke, I hope you find the perfect recipe! Keep us posted... I know there are some FG's that would appreciate a recipe like that :)

Jeannie, outclassed?!?!?.....NAWwww... it'll be my 1st time!... if my "mother" doesn't pan out, I may be needing that "simple" recipe of yours! LOL!

OH, OH, OH... I have to add this because I'm so excited & want to tell someone... I just made my very own, homemade baking mix! I used part organic white & part organic whole wheat flours, aluminum free baking powder,a smidge of sugar and shortening. Even the shortening was organic :) I had a little bit that wouldn't fit into the container I chose... it was just enough for a biscuit recipe! Sooooo, I made a batch of drop biscuits... {{{drum roll}}} They were F*A*B*U*L*O*U*S!!! I'm really getting into this farmgirl thing... homemade toothpaste is next on my list :)

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 14 2010 4:56:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  4:54:57 PM  Show Profile
Jeannine simple bread recipes are the best! Just the mere satisfaction of making the dough, smelling the fresh baked bread and the wonderful accomplishment of your finished product is good enough for me. Of course, the enjoyment of eating it too!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  5:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Beverly I make my own baking mix too. How simple it is to make drop biscuits with the mix. I use a cast iron biscuit pan (it has 7 slots) and I use a large ice cream scoop to put the dough in. OMG, never new I could have the talent for making light and fluffy biscuits! Warm out of the oven with butter and jam...... I'm by myself so I make them and only eat one, maybe two LOL and bring the rest to work. They are addicting, I'd be huge if I ate them all the time. LOL

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  5:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, where did you get your recipe for the baking mix. I would like to make mine too, just not sure of a good recipe. Thanks!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  6:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Gerri, Ooooo how I'd love to be in FL...love it there...+ I could help you eat those biscuits! :) For biscuits, the mix I made called for 2 1/4C mix & 2/3C milk. I mixed together & could either knead, roll & cut or just drop onto the sheet. I chose the faster/easier way of the 2. I just dropped medium to large dollops of dough onto my baking stone. They were not uniform by any means, but I got 9 doing it that way...SUPER EASY! Is your cast iron pan round w/ a handle w/ the slots in a circle? I would love to find one of those!

Claudia, I just googled "homemade baking mix". I found quite a few! The ones that sounded good to me, I just copied/pasted into Word so comparing them would be easier. The one I chose called for 9 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 5 TBSP baking powder, 1 TBSP salt, 1/4C granulated sugar and 1C vegetable shortening. I started mixing it in my food processor & soon found that the volume was too much...so I kinda had to do batches. Anyway, it seemed too dry. I looked over the other recipes & the ones that used that much flour called for 2C shortening...so I added another cup +/-. I liked the look of that much better. Also, some recipes said to sift the flour, some did not...I did not. long story short...too late:)... This was what I ended up with:

5C organic unbleached all-purpose flour, 4C organic whole wheat flour, 5 TBSP baking powder, 1 TBSP salt (I used sea salt), 1/4C granulated sugar, 2C vegetable shortening
Mix/blend well, store in airtight container, keep in a cool & dry place, will keep for several months.

*note: the recipe did not call for organic, but I had it on hand :)

If you decide to make the mix, let me know & I can email or post some recipes that use it. :)

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 14 2010 6:34:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2010 :  10:04:18 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, thank you so much. I am going to make your mix. I find that there are just times that something quick like that fills the bill with out having to go to the store for the packaged brand. Years ago, when the kids were little, I had a pamphlet for "Missouri Mix." It was much the same as of which you speak. Can't put my hands on it though... must be around here, as I was raised by depression parents who had nothing, so that when they did...nothing was thrown away. I must have inherited that gene. I will let you know when I make your recipe and I would love some of your recipes if it is not too much a bother. Thanks again!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Beverly the quick mix that I use comes from a blog from chickensintheroad.com. The author is Suzanne McMinn. I have added her to my favorites. She has all kinds of cooking, farming etc. Love the blog, thought I might share that with you. Check out her baking and cooking recipes. And yes my cast iron biscuit pan is exactly as you discribed. I have posted a picture for you.

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Gerri, I visited chickens in the road.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I signed up for the newsletter too! I was near tears when I read their story of moving to the 100 year old house. What a beautiful story and what a fabulous writer! Can you tell I really do appreciate your sharing :)

I love your biscuit pan! Thanks for posting the pic! Is that a "newer" one or is nice & old? May have to keep my eye out when I'm out antiquing ;)

Claudia ... will get those recipes to ya:)... gonna google that "Missouri Mix" too :)

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 15 2010 4:09:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'll be making bread Wed. I am still waiting on the top to my Whisper Mill grider though. If I don't get it by then I'll have to use my hand grinder and it takes forever. But I need bread.

I wish I could find a pan like that. Suzanne also has the easiest bread recipe on her blog called Grandmother bread. It is so good and so easy. I have made it with white flour then half white and half wheat. Both are good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, this is rather a new biscuit pan. I actually purchased at a Cracker Barrel, I believe that it is made by Lodge. I have used it enough that it has seasoned real nicely. I never wash it just wipe it out and stick it back into the warm oven when I'm finished baking. I have seen them at our local Beall's outlet store. I am going there in a few minutes. I'll check it out for you.

Don't you just love Chickens in the Road! I go to her blog everyday as much as I visit MJF. You will become very addicted to her blog. It's a place of oasis for me. I can spend hours just reading her stories about her farm, animals, and cooking. Along with all the craft ideas that she shares with you. I'm an early riser (5:30am) with my morning rituals which is visiting MJF and her blog. Glad that I got hooked!

She is a great inspiration for me!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  4:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, here is what I found on Missouri Mix....from the University of Missouri Extension website :)
http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=GH1055

Kristin, happy to have you on board! I wil have to check out that Grandmother Bread :) Thanks for sharing!

Gerri, we have Cracker Barrel here, will see if they have 'em. While my family & I were traveling this summer, we made all sorts of stops-along-the-way...one of which was the Lodge Factory Store in TN. It was awesome! Wish I would have had bread & biscuits in mind while I was there :) I am NOT a morning person, with that being said, I do have to get up at 6 to get my son ready for the bus at 6:55. I'm glad we finally moved our clocks because it was really hard for me to get up when it was as dark outside as it was at bedtime the night before :)

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, thank you so much for the web site. It is healthier and easier from the mix I remember. One can make cookies etc as the old mix used to. It was good and easy to use. For those who are interested, add that to your repetoire. You took the leg work out of it for me. Thanks again.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  4:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies I milled my wheat this evening getting prepared for tomorrows bread baking day. Still trying to decide what recipe I will use. Here are pictures of my wheat milling from my grinder.

I haven't milled wheat in a long time! The smell was wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration to get me going again.

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I am bummed. I didn't realize it but I am not going to be home tomorrow so I can't do this. I will be at my mom's so MAYBE I will be able to do it there but I am not sure after all. I am so sorry. :-/ I will let you know what happens.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Brooke, don't worry a bit! If you can bake at your mom's...good! If not, then that's OK too...just enjoy your time w/ her :)

Gerri, that is soooo awesome! I'm not far enough into my farmgirl ways yet to go that far :)

I'm torn about what to do for tomorrow! I did the "mother" from Bread the MJ Way. I've been trying to read ALL the posts...119...I'm almost to 60. Anyway, there were a lot of gals that did not have success w/ their 1st, 2nd and sometimes even 3rd loaves. I don't want my 1st bread baking adventure to be a flop... oh well, I'll figure it out :)

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  6:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, is this your first time to make bread or just your first time to make it the MJ way?

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  6:54:54 PM  Show Profile
1st time :) I've made quick breads & sweet breads before but nothing that required rising, shaping the loaf, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:24:01 PM  Show Profile
The reason I ask, if you are interested and it would give you more confidence, if you go to my blog and look to the right and click on 'breads', then scroll down to the second recipe, there is a step-by-step pictorial demonstration of how to make sandwich bread with the recipe too. Lots of pictures to let you know what everything should look like. The first post is about making waffles and then the next is about bread. Oh, and in the recipe it talks about using dough enhancer, but that is not a have to thing. Dough enhancer just makes the bread more uniform. Anyway, just go to the link below and click on the 'blog' tab where you will click on 'breads'. Hoping it might be helpful!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  7:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Mary Beth! That will be a GREAT BIG help! What if I wanted white bread...use the same amount in place of the wheat? Just curious...have both :) I'm thinking I will probably be baking 3 different loaves...yours being one of them :) I'm going to get my "mother" mixed together for basic white farmhouse bread tonight & let it rise overnight so I can bake it 1st thing in the morning

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!! You are a SWEETHEART!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Homemade Bread Day 11/17 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page