Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic This Old House Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  8:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Many of you know about the old house me and my family moved into this summer. This past week my cousin and my sister's b/f started the remodel upstairs. My cousin is doing the wiring and sister's b/f laid the new floor in dd's room. We're also going to have to build a new knee wall in her room to support the old saggy rafters.
Why is it that when you get one thing fixed you find another problem you weren't expecting? While we were discussing rather to use drywall or paneling on the walls, I noticed a gap in the old cover in the chimney. I looked closer and thought I saw daylight. That shouldn't be there because there are gas space heaters hooked to this chimney and there should be a flu running up throught it, right? Yeah there's not one in there! Talk about a scary thing to find. I haven't lit these heaters this year and now I won't be. I would gas us all. Here's hoping the Eden Pure heaters I bought hold out this winter.

Just a little vent. Thanks!
Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  8:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Old houses have character, and character flaws. It is amazing and frightening how many things can go wrong over time as well as the shortcuts that are used sometimes. I bet someone thought "a chimney is a chimney, so what does it matter" and it may have been OK at the time until something settled or cracked. I'm so thankful you discovered the problem before trying to use the heaters! Was the house empty for a while or didn't anyone use the upstairs? Do you have to get a permit or inspections for the wiring and other construction? Permits are a small fortune around here. When we built our house a bit over 30 years ago they were under $50, now they're several hundred.
Good luck getting the house into better shape. Be sure health and safety come first!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I found one of those "shortcuts" a couple of days ago, Susan. Someone somewhere along the line, quite possibly my mammaw, decided to use those plastic wal-mart bags for insulation. Just kinda makes me shake my head.
The house was only empty for a couple of years. My mamaw spent her last year in a nursing home and it was empty for a year before we moved in. She lived here for 20 years, but never used the upstairs. She did use the space heaters and her old gas stove for heat. I remember her complaining of headaches and feeling sick a lot. It upsets me that no one really looked into what was causing her problems. The doc just prescribed pills and told her to come back.
Oh yes we have to have permits. We have to make sure the county gets their fair share on the property tax. But fortunately they aren't terribly expensive.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic This Old House Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page