MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Hiya Ladies! I have been kind of bummed out lately, feeling like I don't fit in here in Southern California where the hubby's friends all think I'm strange for my "farmgirl" style. I was just looking for a California Farmgirl roll call, just a little shout out to know that there are others like me in this Hollywood state and I'm not as strange as most seem to think...so how about it ladies? Who is from Cali and where? I'm living in Corona, in Southern California right near Riverside. Anyone else out there?

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
http://fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

MamaRhi
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rhiannon
Livermore CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:37:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm in California, but I'm mostly a northern CA girl. I'm near Livermore, which is east of the bay area.

Single Mama living her off-the-grid dream life...
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:49:54 AM  Show Profile
I am living in So Cal, High Desert,LA/Kern county line...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  07:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mellisa, I live in Lockwood CA north of you about 5 hour I think, I know what you mean about the CA girls.
Keep up the farmgirl ways its good to be true to yourself.

Line Shack Farmgirl #11570
Cynthia

Happy Trails
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  4:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa! I'm in Northern San Diego County! You are not alone (and not strange!)...Cheers, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "Where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind!"
blog http://edgehilherbfarm.blogspot.com/
"Happy Glamper" farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  8:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa,
I'm in Northern Calif. Mendocino coast.Been a very cool summer here. Tomatoes just ripening here.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

Futters
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Michelle & Ashley
CA
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  05:40:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi there. I'm in Port Hueneme, which is in Ventura county. Nice to meet you other CA girls.

Have a good day!

Michelle & Ashley
Farmgirls #760

Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.
http://thetatteredquiltcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  9:24:29 PM  Show Profile
I know where all of you girls are! I've got tons of family in the Bay area, we have done a lot of camping in Northern Ca and my brother in law and his family live in Port Hueneme! Is your hubby in the Navy Michelle? My in-law is a Seabee - if yours is, they might work together. We go there as often as we can to visit my daughter's only cousins. Nice to meet you all!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  1:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Melissa! :) I'm in the most nothern part of the state, Del Norte County. Our county is small and rural so there are a lot of "farm girls" here but I've lived in the Bay Area and in the Sacramento area and I know what you mean about feeling out of place! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  5:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heather! When my hubby was in the military we got stationed in Washington state and drove the distance to the Bay Area and back to WA a few times. I think that area of Northern California that's right along the border with Oregon is really pretty. It must be beautiful living there. And I have family in Sacramento too! I think my family is sprinkled all over California! Nice to meet you too!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  11:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello Melissa!
I grew up in Corona. I went and met my husband at Corona High. I live in the high desert, Victorville.
I have feel the same way you do. I am the strange one (so they say) in the bunch. I think the strange thing is that they do not care what is on/in their foods and where it is coming from. I do have a friend who is realizing that the food in the stores are not what they are proclaiming them to be and she makes her own bread. So I am really not as strange as I used to be. ;-)
Take Care,
Tina Kay
My Blog: www.harmonyhollow.blogspot.com
Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.

Edited by - Tina Kay on Sep 11 2010 12:03:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  4:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey Melissa -

Thanks for doing this! I was wondering how many other California farmgirls there were. I even saw another offgrid in Livermore and a couple from Mendocino! How cool!! I live in Lake County, Lower Lake to be specific and live off grid. It's great to "meet" you all!! I think that's what makes this site so interesting.

When I retired and moved up here everyone that I worked with said "what in the world will you have to do". Well, as you know there is plenty to keep us busy!!! So all of us have found a place that we feel at home with others that are likeminded!

Thank you all for being here!

Ellen

Edited by - countrygirl10 on Sep 28 2010 4:09:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I am from Huntington Beach originally, but now live in Nipomo, just south of Pismo Beach. I find it odd that you are scrutinized in Corona. That IS country to most southern Californians. I remember going there once and thought it was neat that there were big yards with wire fences and no sidewalks. I had seldom seen neighborhoods like that growing up. Of course now, we have the biggest "yard" on our street.(it's a farm) Don't let em get to you. Just be yourself and like minded souls will find you!!!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  5:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I haven't lived in CA for over 30 yrs, but I have to say the same as Shari, Don't let em get to you! Be strong and true to yourself, Melissa. I am glad to hear there are country girls in SoCA! Best of wishes to all of you!

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi again girls! Shari, I think you are thinking of Norco - Corona's neighbor to the north. That is really country for SOCAL. Corona is very much HOAs and tiny lot track housing. No big yards here or chain link for that matter - not HOA approved, you see. But after we moved here and got a chance to check out a lot of the surrounding areas, we realized that Norco would have been a nice place to buy...of course, now we can't as the market is so bad...Our house has depreciated since we bought it two years ago. Oh well, eventually! But yes, it may just be our end of Corona (not the end that edges up to Norco) but it is a bit snobbish when it comes to "country" things. My hubby's work buddies think it's cute that I bake cookies from scratch and wonder why I would choose to do that instead of just buying ready made cookies or even those cookie dough rolls from the store and heating them up. That is baking to them! There is a place and time for those things, but if I want cookies, I want the fresh, make them myself kind! So I guess that's what I mean when I say that I can't really find a lot of people like me out here. Hubby's partner and his wife were blown away that I knit their new baby a blanket. While I felt bad that I had to do a rather basic pattern because I didn't have a lot of time to invest in a more complex one. She didn't even know what it was called (knitting) and asked how I sewed it. Too funny. Oh well, I guess we can't all be Farmgirls, right? :)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

rebekahj
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Rebekah
Santa Cruz CA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,

I had to laugh at "She didn't even know what it was called (knitting) and asked how I sewed it". I get that a lot. I grew up sewing (my grandma was an amazing seamstress) and crocheting (my mom could crochet a house if she wanted to). I am blown away by how many people actually have bno idea how to even sew a button on or hem their own pants.

It sounds like you live in a very snobby area. I know the type. I live in Santa Cruz, CA which is known for its gypsy and hippy characters, but we have a new generation of yuppy-types that have moved in and taken over thanks to the Silicon Valley computer industry. If they don't sell it in a store for way more than it is worth, it isn't worth having. LOL! I am with you, I prefer my homemade over store bought.

Hang in there sister and keep being you. I think people will learn to appreciate your unique, special ways.

Famrgirl Sister #2173
http://chickenmerry.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  9:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey Melissa,
Hang in there....trust me, there are lot's of "closet" Farmgirls.... lol!
I am (formaly)from the Ventura County area, Moorpark/Thousand Oaks,,,and then hubby & I had this brilliant idea to move up to Spokane, WA.....I really miss SO.Cal & in my heart I will always be a SO.Cal gal...
I get really 'cranky'not to mention 'twitterpaited' when people up here take jabs at Californians especially when they have never even lived in Cali....but that's another story....
Anyhow, I live in the West Plains of Spokane, wheat fields & small communities....and I have to tell you,,,a lot of the gals up here haven't a clue about being a farmgirl...I am amazed how many of the older ladies around me have never even canned or don't like to sew....
ummm, I thought I moved to the country...not OZ! lol!
The farmgals are trying to be like city girls and the city gals are trying to be farmgirls! ...I am soooo confused! lol!
I just want to be me....goofy, crafty, and a Glamping Diva...

So be what you want to be, and if being a farmgirl @ heart makes your happy, go for it....don't be what others tell you to be,,,,have fun being you.
hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ke3
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Kathleen
Ventura California
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  11:07:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm in So. Cal, in Ventura, about 25 south of Santa Barbara, and about an hour to L.A. This Farmgirl web community was just recommended to me a few days ago; so this is probably my third post. A real newbie, looking for a chapter to join.

I love to knit; I's love to learn to sew; and I use my spinning wheel whenever my back pain allows. I used to weave, too; but the loom sits forlornly in the shedgiving me a k

When we lived in CT, I loved volunteering at the Guilford historical homes, preserved as museums. Hearth cooking was my favoritel If anywhere.

Oh dear, falling asleep again. If anyone has any good advice for navigating the forum let me know!

Edited by - ke3 on Oct 21 2010 11:12:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  5:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen-

Welcome! It sounds like you are in the right place! I crochet, spin and did weaving for awhile. I don't have a loom but I'm looking for a baby wolf that's 36" and has the treddles. I've just started crocheting a prayer shawl. I'm learning how to knit. The spinning group I'm in spins at a number of public events also. It's a lot of fun.

Hearth cooking sounds really fun. That's quite a move from CT to So Calif! How are you coping with the changes?

I'm kind of a newbie also so I'm not sure if I can help you navigate much better, but the one thing I did find was the subscribe below where you type in your message. If you mark that they will send you emails anytime there is a response to that topic!!

I'm glad that you found this site, it's great!

Ellen

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic California Farmgirls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page