True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  8:40:26 PM  Show Profile
i have posted two new aprons that I made this weekend on my blog:

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/

The pink one is for a friend and the Mary Engelbreit one is for my daugher. Hope ya'll like them. I'm sewing up another one in the morning that is a traditional homespun style. Looking for resonable homespun fabric too.

Found some vintage rick rack on commercial size "bolts" for $5 per bold. Each one has over250 yards of rick rack on it! Got it in pink, red and purple.

I have been reading through the posted sewing blogs and the farmgirls here do such fabulous work. I have so much to learn from all of you. I'm still an advanced beginner, although I have sewn for a long time.

Thanks for sharing! Oh here is my blog, pretty new at blogging!

Aunt George

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  05:04:58 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
Loved your aprons, wish I could sew like that. What a great deal on your trim, Are you going to sell your aprons? Also read your blog, loved hearing about you and what you are up to, makes me wish you were my neighbor. You add a lot of heart to the MJ SITE, so glad you found us.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  06:17:44 AM  Show Profile
hi aunt george,
i took a look at your aprons, i am sure both your friend and daughter will love them. i have never made an apron before, but i have soo many patterns. i just haven't made time...
thanks for posting pictures and being an inspiration.

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  07:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
what are the patten numbers of the patterns you used I really liked the long one that you made. Wher edid you find the rick rack I have a hard time finding vintage rick rack I like it all cotton not polyester like the new stuff. I use it in tatting to make lace. Sounds like a great find.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  07:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I love that pattern for aprons! Please let us know the number. You consider yourself an "advanced beginner" and you sewed 24 costumes for your daughter's play?!? You're crazy! :) You do awesome work, just beautiful!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  07:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Those aprons are really pretty. I like the full one especially. I'm wondering too what pattern you used. I've used a McCalls pattern, but I like the fullness of the one you made much better.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile

Georgann -
I love your aprons- especially the full one. Let me echo the others in saying that you do beautiful work.
It is off to Hancock's for me to find a pattern and start sewing. I have the type of apron that loops around your neck and I cannot stand it. I feel like I am being pulled down. I love the style that you made. Just perfect.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!
Thanks for all of the compliments on my sewing! I'm typing one handed today...recovering from hand surgery and split my incision open a little over the weekend! LOL...too much sewing I guess!

Here are the pattern numbers: The full length pink apron is: Simplicity 8698. I made the large size and it seems to run a little slim.

The half apron is: Butterick 6567 this pattern envelope is shown on my blog. It has a lovely full length apron on it too. I have just ordered a pattern online for a beautiful apron that I really want to make. It is: Indygo Junction Bon Apetite pattern Here is a link to it: http://www.fabric.com then type in apron in the search box. It is the Bon Apetite pattern.

I'll post a picture of one of the costumes that I made. Just figured out how to post from my digital camera...finally. I only have the photographed so far. It was for Mozart's Mother. I'll post the reproduction apron that I am working on as soon as I can sew again. It is being made without a pattern...just studying the ones in the antiques shops.

I love aprons....on an apron sewing kick...hope my hand mends soon.

Thanks again,
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Georgann,

I love the patterns. Once payday comes, I'm gonna have order 1 or 2.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile
I went to the simplicity site and looked for the pattern # 8698 and it didn't come up with anything. Is this an out of print one maybe?
It's Totally Cute!!!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Gosh it might be, but there are alot more available in the store than on the website I've noticed. I have had that pattern a long time though. I'll look and see if it is in my local store still.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  4:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, forgot to mention Simplicity patterns go on sale June 8th for a few days at Hancock Fabrics. It is worth hitting their sales for patterns because Simplicity in stock patterns will be $1.99. I usually hit the sales and then buy every apron pattern in the book at that time. That is what I did with the costumes and purse patterns etc. Last week Butterick were only .99 without a limit on the patterns. Their national sales flyer is available on their website:

www.hancockfabrics.com

Oh, BTW, just sewed up another apron this evening. Didn't use a pattern this time. Made it in memory of my paternal grandmother...Minerva Jane. Hope you can stop by my blog and see it. I also posted a picture of the bolts of vintage rick rack I scored at the antique shop! I used the pink on Minerva Jane's apron.

Georgann

Edited by - Aunt George on Jun 06 2006 8:59:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  06:00:28 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George
Love you Minerva Jane Apron, and the name! You sure can sew these up fast, even with your bad hand, you are a wonder. Are you going to sell any of your aprons? Sure wish you were close enough to teach me how to do these. I 'am good on the straight line, you know, patchwork quilts, mending, toe bags, pillows, but give me a pattern and I have tissue paper flying all over the house.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  08:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy Jo.
I'm working on one today in between loads of laundry and kitchen cleaning. My daughter named it The Lemon Fairy Apron. LOL It is yellow...her favorite color. I'm using two printed fabrics. Yellow gingham and lemon and lime print. Of course yellow rick rack! *g* I'm making this one up as I go. It will have a handkerchief hem with a flat skirt rather than gathers. Thanks for your comments on the Minerva Jane apron. No pattern needed for it and it is just straight sewing! I know you could do it! I would trade lessons with you for the patchwork quilts! Too bad we don't live closer! Maybe we could suggest a sewing lessons chapter for MJ's next book!

I'll try to post The Lemon Fairy apron this afternoo if it works out. The Minerva Jane only took about an hour to sew up.

I'd be glad to talk you through one online sometime if you ever want to try a simple apron! Oh, and I scored 4 more bolts of vintage trim today! I'm so excited. I bought 4 yards of muslin to try some old fashioned pleating and simple cutwork on an apron. Maybe I'll call it the Nancy Jo! :)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  09:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George
I would like to send you some trim you can use on your aprons or whatever. I have had it for a while and will not be using it, most of it came from my DH'S aunts. some of the packets of trim and rick rack say 10 cents, 19 cents, and 15 cents.most are 3 to 5 yards. I would like to see someone be able to use it and I pick you. TA DA!!
Will be looking for your daughters lemon fairy apron on the site, and can;t wait to see how the muslin one comes out.
SenD me your address I will mail it out tomorrow.
hugs
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile
You are sooooooo sweet Nancy Jo!! I have already emailed you. Thank you so, so, so much!! I love old notions!! I have finished the Lemon Fairy Apron. I'll post it in just a few minutes. This one I made up this morning. No pattern, She didn't want any pockets...shucks...I wore Minerva Jane all morning. Gosh, made me feel like doing more housework....NOT!! LOL

Look for my email Nancy Jo. My blog URL is still in the first post in this thread. Hope you like the Lemon Fairy!

Thanks again, you are just so nice!! MJ's Farmgirls are the best!!

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Blogger has been down all day. It is finally up and I have posted The Lemon Fairy apron. (That is the name my youngest daughter gave her apron! Working on more though. Yes, Nancy Jo and Kathy, I'm obsessed. (I actually know that I have to start back to work soon and want to get as much done as possible!)

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  04:33:31 AM  Show Profile
I also love your long apron, and hope to get to Hancocks today! I've been on an apron kick as well, but hadn't seen any full length aprons that appealed to me-- Yours sure do!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  6:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Your aprons are beautiful! You've inspired me to keep on with my sewing and creating. Love your blog too. I tried to create one, but used my real name by mistake and have to fix it. I'm so behind the times on this stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  7:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Georgann- My daughter and I were looking at your aprons and every one that came up was met with a "Oh, that's cute!!" Especially the Lemon Fairy apron. How could you not love that?

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  8:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that you all like my aprons. The Lemon Fairy was designed with the help of my 6 year old daughter, so I am glad that it is liked by another little girl!

Debbie, this is the first time I have ever blogged too. I've had to go back and change alot of things too! Keep at it. I'm so glad that someone is actually reading it, but it is wonderful writing exercise!

I've also just posted a new blog with photos of upcoming apron projects! thanks again everyone for all of your love and encouragement on my Apron Quest!!

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  05:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
Read your blog everytime you post something new, its like going to the neighbors house for a visit, except I like you better then my neighbors, not that they aren't nice, just don't have the same interests. Anyway, I was able to get on your site once, but now when I try it doesn't like my password. love your kitchen towel find and your new patterns. Stay AWAY from AA, they might talk you out of making aprons!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile
You are too kind Nancy Jo! Thank you so much! I've added to my blog today, and am on my way to pick up a sick one from school. I think I'll tuck her onto my wicker sofa in my studio and sew......an APRON!!! Go figure! LOL

George
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
sorry to hear your little one is sick and still in school. When does she get out for summer or are you in a year round school area

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 09 2006 6:01:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  5:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to Aunt George and Nancy
Before my day went haywire I was able to get both of your laces in the mail to you the post man said it would be 3 -5 days hope you both like the items. Hope all is well with your families

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  6:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Dear George-

I posted a reply on your blog today but I wanted to say I LOVE your aprons. All of them. I bought the Simplicity wrap around pattern today (5201) and some fabric to make it with. I didn't buy any trim though, I need to do that. Also, I bought some really lightweight cotton on the dollar table to make something with.

I've drawn up my own patterns from pictures I've seen online. I hope I can make the changes I think would be cool on aprons with my own patterns... we'll see. I have yet to translate them to pattern paper- they are still just drawings on my graph paper.

DO you use bias trim (not sure what you call it) on the edgings/hems on your aprons, or do you just hem them? I hate to fool with bias tape if I can help it.

Anyway, glad to see your blog and your beautiful aprons. I'll be watching for more!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic new apron projects Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page