Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic GERD, or acid reflux Next Topic  

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  08:42:42 AM  Show Profile
Any good herbal, natural methods for this problem that any of you have? Would appreciate any info. Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile
It is not herbal but Food Enzymes are what I suggest. I use and sell Nature's Sunshine. It is the lack of proper enzymes that cause this.

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  2:58:45 PM  Show Profile
I have tried many things and the best solution is to change what you eat. Find the things that irritate you and eliminate them from your diet. Also there is a product called DGL it is made from black licorice and it will help out the problem.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  6:29:22 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that apple cider vinegar with the "mother" in it is good for heartburn or acid reflux. Just watched a Dr. Oz episode all about acid reflux. Apparently the main things to avoid are coffee, alcohol and eating too much, especially after 8:00 pm. As for the apple cider vinegar, I bought some and tried to drink an ounce straight...a little strong. I am trying it diluted in water. I want my DH to start taking it. He has acid reflux and I would rather have him on apple cider vinegar than all those acid blockers. I will see if it works.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile
I have had GERD for several years & am allergic to most of the over the counter & prescription medications used to treat it. My Dr. recommended avoiding the irritating foods, drinking plenty of water, eat yogurt & try staying upright for at least an hour after eating & even walking after eating to keep things moving through the digestive track. He also suggests eating several small meals or snacks vs. 3 larger meals. Mine mostly bothers me in the evening so I eat my largest meal at breakfast. Hope this helps!!

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  7:38:34 PM  Show Profile
Papaya supplements, Linda. They are chewable, taste good, and work pretty well. Good Luck.
Melody
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:18:13 AM  Show Profile
I have been using peppermint/chamomile tea lately.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  09:19:47 AM  Show Profile
I have severe GERD too and appreciate all of the input. Thanks!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  1:14:51 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that you should elevate the head portion of your matress about 4 inches. DH just placed wood blocks under the boxsprings and it works just great. This has been one of the biggest helpers against my GERD.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  12:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, thank you all for your imput and help!!! I will give each a try. Using the over the counter blockers, works ok, but I do not want to be on them forever if I can help it. I like more natural remidies. Thank you! Good luck to all of us as we try these ideas! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  11:13:49 AM  Show Profile
I have major acid reflux problems. I use a very old remedy. After eatin a meal or a candy bar, chocolate really sets me off, I chew and swallow a small handful of dry, plain oatmeal. It puts a halt to my problems and even works for immediate relief if it creeps up on me unexpected. It takes about 10-15 mins to kick in, but no side effects.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile
That is a definite try for me, Angela!! Oatmeal is sooo good for us too! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  11:18:16 AM  Show Profile
I have been in a crisis with this very problem the last week or so. I have been drinking chamomile/peppermint tea like crazy. It helps a lot. It's time for a diet change, I know. I have been procrastinating. I haven't tried the oatmeal. I am going to try that. I know that a little toasted oatmeal with a little bit of cinnamon and brown sugar blended into a thin gruel helps DD with nausea/vomiting, so I bet it would work well for this too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  4:49:05 PM  Show Profile
I had acid reflux for decades then I was reading somewhere on the internet about alkaline vs. acidic foods. To my surprise alkaline foods cancel out the excess acid. I reduced some of the acidic foods and added more alkaline foods.
I haven't had heartburn since. I can even still have my 2 cups of morning coffee. It's been like a miracle cure. If you Google "alkaline foods", there are quite a few websites that list them. It's worth a try instead of taking medicines that could mask other potential serious ailments.

Hope this helps some of you. Here are two websites I liked and there are more out there. Blessings and good luck.

www.thealkalinefoods.com/
www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  10:18:14 AM  Show Profile
We use Hydrocloric Acid capsules to battle acid reflux. I know it seems counterproductive to add more acid but a lot of reflux is actually caused by not enough acid than too much.
Sara
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic GERD, or acid reflux Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page