Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbs for diebetes Next Topic  

supernana
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Bettie
Algood TN
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  6:58:36 PM  Show Profile
Are there any herbs good for lowering glucose?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile
I hope someone has an answer for you Bettie!
I just wanted to welcome you to the group! Be sure to go over to the Welcome wagon section and introduce yourself...that way everyone can "meet" you!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  9:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Bettie,
I know one thing that is good for balancing the blood sugar is Stevia, and it is a sweetener too. It is sold in little packets, like Sweet & Low or Equal, and it is made from a South American herb. I have two plants growing in my garden, but they won't winter over in Washington State! Anyhow, it is one thing, and if you google it online you can learn lots about it. I buy mine in a health food store, or you can find it online too, I'm sure. Good luck! And welcome to Mary Jane's Farm! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

supernana
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Bettie
Algood TN
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  9:46:54 PM  Show Profile
OOPS---I misspelled DIABETES on my first post!
Thanks for the welcome and info.
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  11:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Bettie, This is from "New Choices in Natural Healing": 1000 mg of Vitamin C 3 times a day; 400 IU of Vitamon E twice a day; 200 micrograms of chromium twice a day; 50 mg of vitamin b6 twice a day; 30 mg of niacin 3 time a day; and 250 mg of niacinamide once a day (available in health food stores) I know these aren't exactly herbs, but this is the first book that I grabbed. I hae a bunch of books, but it is too late for me to go through them all. I will look some more later, and post whatever I find.

http://www.puremommashop.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  8:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Two things I know of would be nettles (gather the flowering tips of the plant - be careful you don't get stung) steeped into a tea, and another thing that helps my DH seems to be
nuts - walnuts or hickory nuts.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Jul 18 2006 8:42:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  1:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Cinnamon, not an herb but. You are supposed to pput a little of the ground stuff in coffee or tea. It's great tasting if nothing else. There has been alot of buzz about this in the past 3-6 months.
Go to Top of Page

Countrysidegirl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Kellie
Yakima WA
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  1:27:49 PM  Show Profile
I have type 2 and I'm on the glipizide med. my blood sugar labs came back at 9.5 and I started taking 2 cinnamon capsules (1000mg I think) a day and within 2 months I was back down to 6.5. I still take the regular meds, but the cinnamon kept me from having to switch to the shots. The doctor said he had never had any one drop that fast or even heard of it. I prefer the capsules cause I dont always remember to put cinnamon in my food once a day.

~Countrygirl forced to live in the city making the best of what she's got~
Go to Top of Page

SDPogue
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Sara
Pullman Washington
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  10:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Cinnamon has been proven through anecdotal and clinical trials to reduce blood sugar and assist in balancing blood sugar. There is some debate as to the amount but it's not difficult to add to your diet. You can take it in capsules or add it to the things you eat. Over the summer we snacked on Granny Smith Apples drenched in cinnamon (about 1 teas cinnamon over the slices). Getting a high quality cinnamon helps. You can add it to plain yogurt and oatmeal. We sprinkle it on chicken and steaks.
There are a few others out there but cinnamon works the best.
Adding onions and garlic to your diet helps the blood. Garlic capsules are really nice because they also reduce your appeal to bugs. My mom ate bitter melon with a lot of success but it's hard to find and the taste is not widely appealing. It also depends on any other health problems you may have. My mom had a lot of success with Turmeric reducing plague in her arteries and brain.
Good luck
Sara
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbs for diebetes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page