Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Black walnuts......too late to use them?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Black walnuts......too late to use them? Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  08:38:37 AM  Show Profile
We have a pile of black walnuts and have had too much going on at our house to tend to them. Unfortunately, the hulls (sp.) are now almost all black. Is it too late to do anything with them? If not, any pointers on how to get to the shell - we've never attempted this as we've never had black walnut trees.

Many thanks in advance!

coriedowney
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Corie
Whitehall Montana
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  11:40:47 AM  Show Profile
OH! you are SOOOOOOOOOO lucky!! I grew up with walnut trees and miss them so much!!! When the huls are black it is the easiest to get them off the shell! Make sure that when you are working with the walnuts still in hul that you wear gloves!!!!! if you don't your hands will turn BLACK, it is kind of humorus if you dont know that and then try to get the black off. once you get the them cleaned off put them into the dehydrator shell and all. I don't remember how long to keep them in, but I am sure that it is a couple of days at least. I know that i haven't given you much information, but I hope that you get some use from me!

GOOD LUCK!! Tell us how it goes!

Edited by - coriedowney on Oct 25 2010 11:44:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the information, I felt sure it was too late to do anything with them and would've felt awful if they'd gone to waste.

Was just saying to DH that we haven't done anything with our dehydrator since we'd moved......now we do!

As for the staining of the hands; I only tried to get the hull off of ONE black walnut and it stained my hands and under the nails for over a week.

Thanks again, and I'm so glad it isn't too late and I'll let you know how it went!
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  5:43:50 PM  Show Profile
There is nothing quite like a black walnut cake - yummy!
Good luck with those walnuts!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile
We always got the shell off by putting them in the driveway and driving over them for a while. We, also, let them dry there long enough to get rid of the staining stuff. When they dried, we used a hammer to break them open and then picked out the nut meats for use. What we did not keep for ourselves, we sold. We had a lot of trees when I was growing up.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  6:49:36 PM  Show Profile
driving over them was the same way my dad got the husks off. I thought he was a genius!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Black walnuts......too late to use them? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page