Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Quick Poll: What holds you back from baking bread?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Quick Poll: What holds you back from baking bread? Next Topic
Page: of 3

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  1:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I use to make bread all the time when son was little
I am older now ; a lot older
I cannot stand long without my feet and body getting numb
I have one of those 6 qt. kitchen aid mixers
it says it will knead bread.
I want to try it soon.
Love home made bread and rolls
Use to make home cookies , and cakes too every week.
In our new country kitchen/ dinning room
I have a work station at the island as long as the island
I can sit there and do most of my work for making cookies ; which is a big help.( it was especially made to my acccomdiations . You know how high I wanted it when I sat there to work. Lol )
Love baking cookies. hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  03:33:10 AM  Show Profile
I absoutly would benifit from this since my DH eats 2 PB&J's a day and we go through bread like water.

What holds me back is 1. I lack a good stand mixer that can handle dough like this and 2. the whole yeast rising thing especially in winter where I really doen't have a "warm draft-free" location but the oven itself. I tried this once and ended up "toasting" the dough
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  08:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Annab
Try heating your oven on low heat.
Heat the oven until warm
and then put your bread in it and shut the door.
Don't forget about the bread Lol
I remember watching I Love Lucy and she did this and the out come was funny.
In our old house it was always cold in the winter and I use to do this
It works.
Be sure to turn the oven off after you warm it up too.
Good luck. hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile
would love to try it but am afraid I'll mess it up by not doing something right.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile
No you won't
It just takes time ; really ; if you follow directions it isn't hard.
That is the way you learn too ; if you do make mistakes
so what.
Give it a try I am sure you will love it. hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  7:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Ok Alee ...where do I find one of those bowls, 'cause I hate the mess too. I'm a neat-freak, I confess. *blushes* Also, is it plastic, glass, ceramic?

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-

Edited by - herblady55 on Oct 31 2010 7:15:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  8:36:55 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely love to bake bread. I had a wonderful, great bread machine. However, it was in one of the floods and was destroyed. I've tried to find one just like it, to no avail. I do have a picture of the bread machine, but I can't make out what the name of it is. I know if I could see one I'd know for sure. One day I would like to try to make bread from scratch, the old-fashion way.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  06:28:24 AM  Show Profile
You know what, I had forgotten that I have a bread machine so the time thing I said really shouldn't matter. I just need to find a good recipe for whole wheat bread for the machine...does anyone have one?

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  06:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Cleaning up flour! I get flour everywhere when I bake bread!

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile
OMGosh, Starletta, you just reminded me about the first time I made wheat bread in my bread machine(I don't use it much any more) it didn't raise at all. My Mom said well don't just throw it out, give it to the birds and squirrels. It was the dead of Winter and we've always taken care of our furred & feathered friends in Winter since I was a kid. So I broke it up and put it in the crotch of our backyard trees and on my rooftop outside my kitchen window and went to work. It was dark after I got home so I anxiously awaited daybreak so I could see if they enjoyed it. What do You think I saw?
Dead birds all over the roof and backyard!!!! I know! I cried for days! The yeast must have expanded in their tummys, is all I can figure. I had to scrape 3 in off the roof with a broom and hope my neighbors weren't watching, and 2 in the backyard and pitch them (God, I'm sooo sorry)and the left-over bread in the trash. My DH never let's me forget this horror and tells it every chance he gets whenever a cooking story comes up in a group. Isn't he a charmer???/!!!
You gals have any stories like that.....I hope....pleeease?? I don't wanna be the only one! :(
Oh...the squirrels??...naw....they lived to plague us each and every year since! hahahaha *grumble-grumble*

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!

Edited by - herblady55 on Nov 01 2010 09:55:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  09:41:44 AM  Show Profile
I think it is just that I tried the sour dough recipe last winter and it didn't work at all. I tried 3 different times, that is over 3 weeks of it out on the counter sitting, watching it, adding to it, buying a differnt flour to see if that was the problem. Then I thought it may work better in the summer when it is warmer and it'd grow better. I want it fresh and healthy so I think it is time to try it again.
I do have a bread machine to get out again too. I'll watch this for bread maching recipes too.

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  10:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Judy, My daugher's friend, who is a big animal lover, fed bread dough to her pet pig, as you know pigs like to eat and she ate a lot of it - it did the same thing to her, sad to say - her tummy blew up and exploded and she died. Poor Cheryl, she has never gotten over feeding her pet pig the dough, and then having her die as a result of, what she thought was kindness.
So now you know you are not alone. Never feed anything unbaked bread with yeast in it - it does very bad things.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I have thoroughly enjoyed being subscribed to this topic! Thanks for initiating it!

Just wanted to say that November 17th is Homemade Bread Day. I saw it in the latest edition of MJ's Cluck. I didn't know if it was a MJF thing or an actual "day". It is! I say that we all should commit to making homemade bread on that day & reporting back here as to how it turned out. I know plenty of you are seasoned bread makers... and it wouldn't really be a big deal. For me, it would be my 1st time! And I can't think of a better way to celebrate Homemade Bread Day than by baking my very first loaf :)

So, what do y'all think?

BTW: Judy, I have to be honest... I laughed out loud when I read your post! I'm sorry about the deaths but it just sounded so like my luck! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Nov 01 2010 6:14:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  06:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I'm going to admit that Judy's post made me laugh too...it so sounds like something that would happen to me.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  07:29:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! Sorry about that piggy too. But, ya, we laugh about it now too. I felt like an older lady friend of mine who said, after she filled the kitchen with smoke cooking bacon, and her Mr friend came crawling in on his hands and knees like a fireman told him to do in smoke....."Why I'm cookin' like a new bride!" LOLOL Guess I was too. hahaha
Bless you all AND "May your neighbors NOT see you dragging in the dead bodies!" lol
Ok Bev, the 17th...yer on girl. Any other brave takers out there? Maybe you should start a fresh thread out there and see how many nibbles you get.

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  12:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I brought out the bread machine and have a loaf working away right now. Thanks for the nudge to do this for my family!

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  3:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is kindof what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Amco-874-12-Quart-Mixing-Bowl/dp/B00004RG9F/ref=pd_sim_k_3

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  6:28:44 PM  Show Profile
my girlfriend Mary Ellen gave me her bread machine that she doesn't use and I am gonna give it a try ! wish me luck !
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  6:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I'm sorry, but I bust a gut laughing. Oh my gosh you made that funny. I hate it about all those dead birds, but heh, what's life without a few ruffled feathers?? :-)

To all who are tired of the mess, I'm sorry to be a peddler, but I sure wish that you'd go to my website and see the item that we produce. If you go to the Demo tab, you can see photos of how to use it. I have never had a bread maker say that it wasn't the most wonderful thing for keeping clean in the process. I originally did this for myself about 20 years ago and people started asking for them. It eventually became a business. Each one comes with a funny saying like, "An Oklahoma Blessing: May Your Pie Crust Be as Flaky as the Baker". They are in all sizes depending on how messy you really are!! :-) And if you check the blog, you'll find some bread recipes and photo directions. They are easy and mistake tolerant. OK, so much for the sales promotion.

I love to make bread. It doesn't take me very long because I use SAS yeast which is REALLY powerful and I warm my oven ahead of time to 150, turn it off and put my dough in it to rise both times. All in all it takes about two hours, but I can go do other things in the meantime. We grind our own grains with either our stone mill or our Nutrimill and so it is fresh, whole wheat that goes into every bread item. Yep, I looooovvvve bread - is that a bad thing??

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Sorry girls that I've been MIA for a couple of days. I was in bed 1 1/2 days. I had a temp, a total body rash and my face and hands swelled up, & one minute I was burning up, the next I felt these strange waves of cold wash over me like cold water. I've eaten nothing, but am drinking now. No appetite....I think that's the only diet I'm good at....being a sicko!! LOLOL It was miserable, but boy did I catch up on my sleep. Now my back is miserable because I laid around too much. Can't win! *sigh*
Alee, I was in Amish country Monday and I saw those huge stainless bowls for about the same price. Nice bowls! (that's prob. where I got this weird bug...it was a german-weasel...uh...er...measle)hahaha
Ok, you gals that are using your bread machines, are you using bread flour or are you just using reg.flour and adding gluten? 'Cause my machine only uses bread flour and it's not cheap. Have ya'll found a way around that beastie? I forgot to look in Amish country. I probably could have found it there...maybe. It's amazing how much Lehman's has changed over the years and just doesn't carry all the old stuff anymore. Sad!
Ok, happy baking Gals!

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  7:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Judy, that sounds awful!! Geman weasles? No, seriously, it sounds like you were REALLY sick. Glad that you are on the mend.

Regarding bread flour, I have found the joy of grinding wheat and so I get the hard white wheat (Prairie Gold) for my bread flour and soft white wheat for my pastry flour for biscuits, pie crust, cookies, etc. I have found that with the freshly ground bread flour, even after being in the freezer to keep from getting stale, I do not have to add any gluten for my breads. If I stone grind my wheat, it takes quite awhile (but I love stone ground flour) but if I use my Nutrimill, it takes all of 5 minutes to do 10 or 15 cups of flour. Fast is good! I buy my wheat in 45 lb buckets. I have to admit that there is a bit of silly pride in serving a loaf of bread to guests and letting them know that the flour was ground that very afternoon! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  8:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Judy...I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! I can COMPLETELY sympathize with the back pain! Hope that gets better SUPER SOON! Mine does the same thing when I lay around too long.

{{{hugs}}}
Beverly

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  03:40:40 AM  Show Profile
OH Judy!! I'd have been mortified too! Shows you just how tough those pesky squirrels are, for sure!

This is sadly the same reason why we need to keep dogs away from it too.

I do have a bread machine and had taken some good advice from a few year's posts ago about bread machines. So I bought a nice Cuisinart. Was a tough decision between this and the Zorshci (can't remember the spelling). Same as some other ladies....the whole wheat loaves just didn't rise well
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for commiserating with me girls. I'm better now, tired and no appetite, but I'm ok.
Annab- I just looked, I have a Zojirushi too. Maybe they have a (glitch) in them when it comes to whole wheat. Who knows.
MaryBeth-Thanks for the humor. You read about my new GuineaPigs over in "Over the Fence" didn't you? hahahaha
My new house pet purchased just a month ago at a pet store, gave birth over night to 3 adorable piggies. But she's only 8 weeks old they said when I bought her. Riiiiight....she's just a runt. hahaha Mama and kiddos are doing well though. I'll keep one little girl for company for her. Pretty sad when an animal has to (produce) company for herself. LOL
Bev- Ya, bad backs take a beating when we try to rest during another illness. Can't win. *sigh*

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  2:29:20 PM  Show Profile
FEAR!!!! just not sure about the process...and I love making sweet breads. Just have of fear of the yeast breads.
deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Quick Poll: What holds you back from baking bread? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page