Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Calling all city girls who moved to the country
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Calling all city girls who moved to the country Next Topic
Page: of 2

montana gal
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Sally
Bozeman MT
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile
Greetings! I'm a writer, doing a story about MaryJane for a major magazine. I'd love to hear from city slickers who left the grit and grime for the country life. Tell me why you left the city...and what you find satisfying about farming/country living.

As for me, I spent 15 years in New York City and am now building a barn (and a house and a greenhouse) in Montana. I know why I love this life, but tell me about YOU!
--Montana Gal

Paid my New York dues to live in Big Sky country

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  10:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Montana Gal!

I just moved to Montana a few months ago, we came for my husbands new job, and to have a better environment to raise our kids. I can't say we really left the grime of a city though because our previous home was in a rural area in Washington, we sold it to live in a little apartment in downtown Helena until we can build something on an acre of land we bought in the Valley out between Silver City and Canyon Ferry.

I am already drawing up plans for the new place though, there is currently an older steel building on the land that we will be knocking out one side of and installing a greenhouse, and I am in the negotiating process with my husband of building a space to house some miniature donkeys too. I had gotten the go ahead for my donkeys at the old house, but we have to see what our lot looks like when we have the new place on it, those guys need a lot of room.

Is Bozeman horribly infested with deer this year? Normally I like them but they are taking over the downtown area, there is a young buck out in the early mornings who harasses our paperboy and there were 6 does and mangy awkward "teenager" deer just hanging out in the kids favorite park the other day, right among the slides and swingsets.. Driving down the main drag here you see them all over the place too.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sally,

I have often thought about writing about the big change in our lives. Going from a 150+k yearly salary to zero. But I am not as eloquent with words as so many people, so I have kept the story in the back of my mind. "Riches to Plaids or Rat race to Rooster crows" What a great story to tell and boy what a change it's made in my life.

I grew up on the outskirts of Sacramento from early childhood through my early 20’s. We then moved to the outskirts of San Francisco, for work. I worked in Hospitals in the finance department and my husband was just starting out as an independent roofing contractor. All my life I craved the country. My grandparents both lived in the hills (Rumsey Valley) and we spent a few weekends a month there as well as much of our summers. As a kid I loved being able to run like wild, but hated all the work involved. As an adult I couldn’t get the desire for a farm and country life out of my blood.

My parents made the big move a couple years earlier than I. They were on vacation and bought a house out of the blue. My Mom described the location to me by saying the forest meets the ocean right in her front yard. What a wonderful picture I had in my head.

The thoughts of a farm were so wonderful, but the true reason I wanted out of the city was for my daughter. I wanted my daughter to grow up in a part of the world were she wouldn’t have to be worried when the refinery alarms went off, or gang shooting near her school, or the life of a latchkey child. I wanted her up bringing to be more connected to the earth and life.

So we did it. We went up to visit my parents on the 4rth of July 2002. She had been talking with a couple that had a house for sale and they were willing to carry the loan for us, until we could qualify for a bank loan. So we put everything we had down on the property and decided to move. We didn’t even have worked lined up for us. I continued working for our consulting company, but my income dropped significantly. Plus we weren’t out of debt. We brought about 50K in bills with us. Which was nothing in CA, because our income out weighed our debt. But in Oregon it was huge.

I got to spend about 4 months at home when it became apparent our dream was in jeopardy. I was offered a consulting job in S.F. and by the end of the assignment we would be able to greatly reduce our debt. This was my opportunity to save my dream. So I commuted back and forth to S. F. each week. I left Sunday at noon and returned home Fridays. I commuted this way for a year and a half. By the end of my job my husband was able to establish his construction job and I was able to return home to my dream.

So this is my story. I grew up in the city, with grandparents in the country. I made a lot of money, but gave it all up to get out of the rat race and raise my daughter here. And I would do it all over again; the only change I would have made is I would have moved a heck of a lot sooner.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Euphoria29
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Vicki
Farmington New York
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile
In my case, I had no choice, my husband got a new job. I left a lovely apartment in Manhattan and moved on up to Farmington, NY (name is pretty much as it implies. Can't say that I am all to sorry, although getting used to the aroma of fresh cow does take some getting used to. My oldest son Nathan is 4 and he has ridden a horse and picked every fruit and vegetable grown in this part of the state. I like that in a few weeks I will not need to use my local supermarket for produce and the last Thursday of the month we are going to an alpaca farm.

While I live in what is considered an "outlying surburban area", we have a garden (complete with a scarecrow) and grow hot peppers/sweet peppers/squash/tomatos. We share and trade our excess crop trading a good handful of fresh herbs for sometimes a few hearty stalks of rhurbarb now that the strawberries are almost ready. While I like to go and visit reguarly (I do beleive the city has alot to offer children educationally I probably will never live in a large city again. I like the fresh air
Go to Top of Page

southerngal
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Marilyn
Lamar MS
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Garden_artist

Hi Sally,

I have often thought about writing about the big change in our lives. Going from a 150+k yearly salary to zero. But I am not as eloquent with words as so many people, so I have kept the story in the back of my mind. "Riches to Plaids or Rat race to Rooster crows" What a great story to tell and boy what a change it's made in my life.

I grew up on the outskirts of Sacramento from early childhood through my early 20’s. We then moved to the outskirts of San Francisco, for work. I worked in Hospitals in the finance department and my husband was just starting out as an independent roofing contractor. All my life I craved the country. My grandparents both lived in the hills (Rumsey Valley) and we spent a few weekends a month there as well as much of our summers. As a kid I loved being able to run like wild, but hated all the work involved. As an adult I couldn’t get the desire for a farm and country life out of my blood.

My parents made the big move a couple years earlier than I. They were on vacation and bought a house out of the blue. My Mom described the location to me by saying the forest meets the ocean right in her front yard. What a wonderful picture I had in my head.

The thoughts of a farm were so wonderful, but the true reason I wanted out of the city was for my daughter. I wanted my daughter to grow up in a part of the world were she wouldn’t have to be worried when the refinery alarms went off, or gang shooting near her school, or the life of a latchkey child. I wanted her up bringing to be more connected to the earth and life.

So we did it. We went up to visit my parents on the 4rth of July 2002. She had been talking with a couple that had a house for sale and they were willing to carry the loan for us, until we could qualify for a bank loan. So we put everything we had down on the property and decided to move. We didn’t even have worked lined up for us. I continued working for our consulting company, but my income dropped significantly. Plus we weren’t out of debt. We brought about 50K in bills with us. Which was nothing in CA, because our income out weighed our debt. But in Oregon it was huge.

I got to spend about 4 months at home when it became apparent our dream was in jeopardy. I was offered a consulting job in S.F. and by the end of the assignment we would be able to greatly reduce our debt. This was my opportunity to save my dream. So I commuted back and forth to S. F. each week. I left Sunday at noon and returned home Fridays. I commuted this way for a year and a half. By the end of my job my husband was able to establish his construction job and I was able to return home to my dream.

So this is my story. I grew up in the city, with grandparents in the country. I made a lot of money, but gave it all up to get out of the rat race and raise my daughter here. And I would do it all over again; the only change I would have made is I would have moved a heck of a lot sooner.

Go to Top of Page

southerngal
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Marilyn
Lamar MS
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  1:41:42 PM  Show Profile
What part of Sacramento were you from? I moved from Citrus Heights to MS around 7 years ago. What a change in lifestyle! I live on a farm now and love it. I guess I too went from rat race to rooster crows...(literally).

quote:
Originally posted by Garden_artist

Hi Sally,

Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marilyn,

I lived in Citrus Heights in the 70's, but then moved to Southport in the 80's. But in 1990 we moved to the Bay Area, then in 2002 we moved to Oregon.

When I lived in Citrus Heights I use to live off of Antelope & Old Auburn Road. I went to jr high school in Orangeville and attended Mariposa elementary school.

Moving here has changed my life in so many ways, sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure it's not a dream. I can't beleive we live on the coast, less than a mile from the ocean, it's a dream come true!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Dear Sally - I am a writer too. I look forward to seeing your article....it should be great reading!

I have noticed when we begin to write longingly about something, it is because it is almost gone. When we are in the midst of a reality, there is no need to contemplate it. When my grandparents were farming for real in Iowa they did not write about it! They were too busy living it! This leaves me with a sad feeling, but with an acceptance that times moves on, and we have to chronicle the changes. I hope and pray that someday our rural loves and lifestyles keep us so busy, we need not wax nostalgic about them!

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 12 2006 11:24:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  3:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Sally, this is so right up my alley. I love to write and tell story!I can't believe I missed this thread before. Here's my tale:

20 years ago when my then boyfriend/now husband and I were spending our college days dreaming of our futures, in between attending classes and study groups, we dreamed of having a place where people would 'want to come and stay a while.' That dream, although vague at the time in terms of logistics and detail, remained a mainstay for many years afterward as we both pursued careers in acamdemics and the professional world. We lived in Kansas City for medical school training and graduate school pursuits. We then moved to Seattle for more medical training and my first real professional job in private practice. We loved Seattle and all the vibrancy and energy that it holds. We travelled all over the world. We ate ethnic food that we could barely pronounce and yet our appetites for adventure were left minimally gratified. We took art classes and hiked the Cascade Mountains. We talked periodically of having children and that 'place where people would come and stay a while.' Those things remained elusive because raising children in the heart of a big city was not something we valued. For whatever reason, we pictured raising children in the calm serenity of a place that was slower, had fewer choices, and more open space. We trusted completely that if 'that' was meant to be, somehow Life would reveal itself and guide us in that direcion confronting us with a choice and a decision.

As Life often works, what happened wasn't anything we could have imagined or scripted. We never imagined that my husband would become completely disillusioned with his work in Seattle. He was quickly spiralling into depression and frustration over politics that left him feeling helpless and beaten. We never anticipated that I would be at the top of my game finding a remarkable sense of balance between a professional career and an artistic one. We never imagined that Life would lead us out of Seattle to Spokane! But Life came knocking with a choice and a decision. We leapt for it. We knew this was the one and only time this opportunity would afford itself.

My husband was recruited for a very challenging job but one that he thoroughly enjoys. I knew I would have a farm of some kind. I knew I would be leaving the professional world and pursuing an artistic one full-time but didn't really have a handle on what exactly that looked like. It didn't matter. Everything leading us in this direction suggested that all would be well. We found our farm after only 3 days of making the decision to move here. We bought an old 1915 farmhouse with 10 acres. We moved in and I strapped on a tool belt and an apron and haven't looked back at my professional training with an iota of longing.

I was able to be home working full-time running this little farm getting gardens in order, enriching soil and so forth for 2 years before we had our first child. Indeed, our farm, No Worries, has become a place where people come and stay a while. Every summer we are host to a myriad of visitors who simply want to escape the pace of their lives, the distraction and the static that numbs the soul of mainstream American culture. Having a farm has been by far the most exquisite education I could have ever imagined and I graduated from the 20th grade while my husband graduated from the 24th grade! We are certainly no strangers to the world of learning, questioning, seeking and finding.

On a personal level, having my farm has awakened a soulful kind of living that I never would have imagined. Everything I do seems to have some kind of spiritual element, although I can't put a finger on what that element is exactly. I suppose it resonates with the cliche of 'getting back to Mother Nature' I find so rewarding. There are profound connections to be made while tending large gardens that can feed a large family and friends for many summer days. We have become a society that because of industry no longer knows how real food ought to taste, or how to sit and simply be. We've forgotten the luxury of those lazy college days when we can lay on hill and watch cloud formations in our race to climb the corporate ladder.

My husband and I are now in our 40's and we are expecting our third child. We grow most of what we eat, because I have been able to ressurect skills that my mother, aunts, and grandmothers knew and used not because of artistic expression and curiosity but because of the need to survive. I can feel their spirits in me as I can my food, or sew my clothes, or tend my gardens or even harvest my chickens, which is what I'm taking a break from now to write this. It is connection that I didnt realize I was missing and thoroughly enjoy sharing whenever I can.

20 years ago, my husband and I dreamed of owning a place where people would want to come and stay a while. Today, we are so proud and grateful to be able to witness that dream come true.

Thanks for letting me share,
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

oso gal
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

June
Spokane WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  11:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see oso gal's MSN Messenger address
I grew up in a suburb just outside San Francisco, and lived in
SSF and in SF Sunset District till I left when I was 24. Moved to
WA State to live near family in Seattle. Then to a little city in WA called Everett. Got married, had kids, Everett grew too fast.
I found a farm in a teensy little rural community about 70 miles
northeast of Seattle, WA. Sold both houses and bought the Farm. I
had been training myself for 7 years before we moved, diligently
reading "Countryside", canning, homeschooling and working like a
man on two house renovations. Not to mention starting up and managing
a plumbing contracting biz w/ husband. We bought it and moved in
in November when it was getting cold.

Our farm had 12 acres of level pasture with some trees and cedars
and was nestled into a greenbelt of salmon creek which ran all across
the back end and on both edges. Frontage was SR 530 NE, Oso, WA.
It was the most beautiful setting I've ever lived in. Our old farmhouse was built in 1918 and had 7 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. There
was a huge woodshed just outside the backdoor because the house was
heated with a wood furnace. It had a huge old traditional barn with
a hay loft that the kids loved to play in. The barn had huge cement
milking room with trough floor, and a dirt floor area to hold animals.
We had an additional barn that you could drive a tractor through. It
had 3 stalls down one side, and a huge open area on the other side.The garden was about an acre and right near my barn and about 30 feet from the kitchen door. I planted 37 fruit trees there and had
a beautiful orchard, with old fashioned pie cherries, apples, pears, and plums. 16 Varietys of Rhubarb. There was a chicken coop that
had two sections; an enclosed and roofed dirt floor area about 15x20
and a separate room with 5 nesting boxes and a pull up chicken roost
area. You could pull up the roost and attach it to the wall-then go
outside and open two long access doors and clean the roost area very
easily. I loved having chickens and kept up to 60 chickens in that
chicken house.

I had 6 children. I gardened. I canned all the time. I put up about
2500 jars of food one year. We had every kind of fruit...pie cherries, sweet cherries, peaches (I used to go to Yakima and pick
every summer), pears, apples (apple butter, applesauce, apple jelly,)
plums, nectarines (not good canned), blackberries, we had every
kind of jam and preserve and jelly, canned and freezer jams. I put
up green beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato juice and berry juice. We
never bought "store bought" syrup. I made about 100 quarts of black
berry syrup every year during blackberry season. I used to can alot
of meat, especially chicken breast. It was so easy, healthy and
everyone loved it. I put up split pea soup, beef stew, chili, chicken
and beef broth, gravy, clam chowder. Anything my family liked that
could be canned...I canned it. We had 3 separate pantry's in the
basement. One for wet; all canned food. One for dry; all my wheat,
grains and oatmeal. One for root vegetables. I made all of our bread, rolls, bisquits, pastry, from scratch. I bought a K-Tec Grinder and ground wheat for bread and bread products. I used to make so much bread, I finally bought a Magic Mill Assistant to knead the dough. I grew herbs. Made butter. Got my milk right off the milk tank from a friend's dairy farm (on the "QT"). I even had a
special milk refrigerator in the kitchen after a couple of years to
hold the 5 gallon bucket of milk with a bung at the bottom.

We heated the 3000 SF house with the wood furnace the first several
years. It did the first floor fine but the second floor was too
cold. Plus, it ate wood, about 12 cord a year. So we added an Elmira
Oval 1908 freestanding wood cookstove in the middle of my kitchen
to give us more heat and help us save on wood by not using the
furnace so much. The Cookstove was the most valuable investment
in my opinion that we ever made in the house. It cost almost 5K
with all it's options and the cost of installation, but it was the
total heart of our home. It stood side by side with my modern
range and we cooked on both of them. Why not cook on it if it's
always going? I love cooking on a wood stove. I never would fry
on the regular range either after getting the cookstove. It had
a warming oven and I always kept all the plates and soupbowls there.
Always hot. I'd raise my bread there. I miss my cookstove alot.

We built a 30 foot greenhouse just outside the back door. I used
to grow about 60 tomatos in there in 5 gallon buckets. Some would
get to be 7 feet tall! Some of our most peaceful times were
sitting out in the greenhouse in the morning with all the plants.

I spent 13 years there rasising kids. It shaped me into an extremely
strong woman. The last 4 years I was there alone with my children
because my husband left. I ended up working to support us and save
our house. The commute was too far, my kids need me, and I was
fighting a loosin But it has to be on hold g battle with no help. I sold, and moved to Spokane. I miss my farm, my trees and my sunsets.
But I will always have the skills and strength I acquired to start
over again when I can.

always summer...always june
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  09:41:00 AM  Show Profile
June,

Wow - you are one incredible woman. So sorry you had to sell the farm, but you're right ... you will always be strong and have your skills. Your story made me shed a tear.

And, welcome to the forum.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  09:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

I'd love to come hang out at your farm someday. Sounds wonderful.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  1:58:28 PM  Show Profile
How funny that two of you lived in Citrus Heights! I lived in Citrus Heights for about 20 years and now live a few miles away in Antelope. What a small world! We are thinking of moving up to Washington when we retire so we can buy some land.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  5:59:48 PM  Show Profile
June, You're in Spokane!! Come on over!!! blueroses, you come on over too!! things are just wonderful here!!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  9:53:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Girls for your inspiring stories!! How wonderful. June, you painted such a lovely picture of your farm. I could almost see it in my mind. We are living out only a small portion of what you describe, but it is definately a dream of mine to be more self sufficient. Isn't there something just so rewarding about canning and preserving. To be able to go and grab a jar out of the pantry with food in it that you grew, and prepared with your own two hands. Julia- I know what you mean about farming and gardening being a spiritual experience.

I love to go out and visit my garden and my animals especially if it's been a rough day and just "be". The animals are always happy to see you and have no worry in the world. They are just happy you are there. I love watching my garden grow every day and coming back to the house with an arm load of vegetalbes and herbs. I'm so thankful everyday that I get to be in this place away from the chaos of the city. Life had gotten too overwhelming and sometimes it felt as though the walls were closing in. I was doing too much and my body was breaking down. I needed peacefulness like I needed the air that I breath. Our bodies have a wonderful way of telling us what we need. I can't imagine if I had to return to that lifestyle where I looked out my window directly into my neighbors. We had many frustrations in trying to rent a home on land and many dissappointments, but it was as if God opened his hand and said, "here you go, this is what I had in mind for you". The landlord actually lowered the rent because he liked us and thought we had a nice family. Even though we are renting we decided live out each day here. We started out raising chickens, and then goats and have two bunnies. We put in a raised vegetable and herb garden this year and built a green house out of old windows and barnwood. I have a raised cottage garden with a white arbor that I absolutely love. I look out my window at it every morning after I wake up and it's so pleasing to my soul. It's all a very pleasing and healing experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I think of the stories that my Mom tells me of Her Mother and her Mother's Mother(my granny). I love the feeling of being connected to the women before me through rewarding work such as planting a garden,tending my flowers, collecting eggs from my hens, making homemade jam, washing my face each day with my own soap, wearing my vintage aprons, and bringing in fresh linens off the clothesline. I can look at my Peony's and think my Mother's stories of my granny's "pineys" as she called them. It is truly a spiritual experience.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PeaceMom
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Cherilyn
Bozeman MT
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  5:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Sally/Montana Gal!
I live in Bozeman, too! I wouldn't say that hubby and I moved from the city, but we did get out of susurban/urban areas to live in Montana. I grew up in the outer Chicago suburbs, and my husband moved all over, with some time in Flagstaff and rural SD. We did the typical young professional thing: got our degrees and got professional jobs. He's a physician assistant, and I have a background in writing and publishing.

For a few years, it was fun living two hours from NYC and Boston, but we felt there was more to life than shopping and spending. I got interested in gardening and sustainable living, and we both wanted to live where people valued outdoor activities like hiking, biking and canoeing. We had a baby, moved to Oregon briefly, and then my husband found a job in Bozeman.

We now have three children, a dog, three cats, 19 chickens and two lambs. We're working on a large garden, an unheated greenhouse to extend the season, and many other plans that we'll hopefully be able to bring to reality in the next 5 years.

Best wishes on your article! I'm sure you'll have fun reading all of the stories that your post has inspired.

cherilyn
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  6:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What great stories you all have!
Thanks so much for sharing them
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Clockwood
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Carol
Buffalo NY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile
[I can give you a different perspective...I grew up a farm girl in the rural sections of Western New York. As a child, I experienced wide open spaces, the joys of hardworking, fresh air filled days and peaceful starlit nights. We had a barn, animals, many green houses, beautiful tree filled forests and gardens of home grown vegetables. My family of 9 worked hard and played hard. As I look back now, everyday was an event, we struggled to get the chores done, but we always had a lot of fun. We kids never seemed to need to go hang out at the local mall. Our friends were always coming to our house to hang out and they never wanted to leave.

When my uncle would come to visit from Atlanta, it was always a treat, because he was the successful business man, with the high profile career and big house. There was one thing about him that always puzzled me, why when he came to the house; did he seem to enjoy the farm work so much? He was a rich guy, who could travel the world for fun and adventure, but my aunt said the vacations he enjoyed the most were the one’s he spent with my family on the farm. When he arrived he would almost immediately jump into some chore that my Dad had going and spent most of his entire time on the tractor tilling the fields or just cruising the property. He almost exclusively spent his time on the farm with us, even though his Mom and other brothers and sisters lived near by. Our house was the house everyone would come to for a taste of that good old farm life and a warm dose of family. It was really fun and we didn't have to look else where for entertainment.

It is amazing how my life has changed. I didn’t know what I would be missing when I left the farm. These days I live in the city of Buffalo. My husband and I have our own high profile careers, a house that is shelved amongst 100's of others where you can see right into the neighbor’s living room from your own. My children and husband always seem to need to go elsewhere to have fun and be entertained.

I realize now why my uncle loved being with us on the farm and how much I miss the wonderful life that I experienced as a child. I take every opportunity I can to go visit my brothers and parents. Mom and Dad no longer have the farm, but they and some of my brothers still live in country. When I visit, I find excuses to walk around the area I grew up in and look at the farms and country side. With the farm gone it isn't as much fun anymore, but just being in the country is a nice peaceful respite from the noise and congestion of the city.

I do what I can as a city dweller to give my children the opportunity to experience the life I did as a child. We put in a big garden on my brother's property. We spend 1 weekend a month in the woods with my brother's, chopping firewood to heat our home in the winter. We experience “farm life” in the city by planting vegetables in what ever part of the minimal city landscape that surrounds our home that I can find room. We pitch a tent and sleep out in the back yard with small bonfires to roast marshmallows. We treat our neighbors like extended family. We share food, chores and raising kids.

I have tried to bring a little of the farm with me to the city. The kids appreciate who I am and where I came from. They say how they would like to live in the country one day themselves. We don’t have the option of leaving the city to move back to the farm at this point, but someday I know I will go back. Until then, I will make it a farm wherever I live.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  2:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Carol,
That was a great story!
I was raised on a farm til I turned 10. When we moved off I thought I would die!
I really think if we'd have stayed on the farm, I would have taken it over, as my older brother and sister had NO interest in the farm.
Sounds like your a farm girl no matter where you are!
KarenP.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  6:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Carol! Welcome to the 'Connection! It's so fun to read people's stories - and very interesting to see one from the "other" perspective.

Be sure to hop on over to the "Welcome Wagon" forum so we can all give you a proper farmgirl hello!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  8:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol!! I loved reading your story too!! How fun it will be to have you here!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  06:14:38 AM  Show Profile
I think, for me anyway, home truley IS where you make it. Alot of us would rather be "somewhere" else but would we really?? Just something to ponder. I have talked about leaving Jersey for so many years and at (almost) 55 y/old, I realize I could have left MANY times but didn't. I always had a reason for not leaving but now as I think on it, I could have left 100 times. There is something wrong everywhere and yes, some places offer greater things then others but when we leave, we still "bring ourselves". I try to bring a bit of the country to anywhere I am by gardening, spinning, canning whatever it is but I can do that anywhere and now I am also into other things and find that Jersey is perfect for those other things. I am in the process of joining Senior Theatre (dont laugh) I love theatre & what a perfect place to be, Im right in between N.Y.C. and Philly, yet I don't live in any city. Farmingdale, N.J. is very far from city life. The Senior Theatre travels all over putting on plays. I am in my glory. So for me, home truley is where you make it. I still, and will always want to die right in my garden picking something I grew if it's Gods will. but I am where I should be.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

jorlex
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Northwestern IL
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  06:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I lived in town, always lived in town. Hubby is police officer and I work in social services, so we deal with people A LOT! When we had neighbors knocking on our door during dinner complaining about others, we had enough. We needed our space. We bought what we could afford, which wasn't much when it comes to the size of the land. However my view is prairie, corn and bean fields. I can't see any houses, and I have no neighbors. We changed since we moved. We are working very hard on teaching our kids there is more to life then what the current society has to offer. My girls are learning to enjoy each new day to see what God has given us. The apples are looking good, the tomatoes will soon be changing. They loved picking the blackberries. They look forward to the winter months of sewing by a warm fire and the smell of wood burning to give us warmth.
Every since we moved out of town, we've learned to enjoy what life has to offer us. Take time to see how beautiful life is. We walk slowly in the rain with our tongues sticking out. The kids give a special smile when they find out there are eating something fresh from the land. It's a whole new way of life for us, a joyous life! My husband said he feels like he finally found who he is.
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  06:58:28 AM  Show Profile
My story is just a little one! Having grown up in Florida, having animals, and enjoying a wonderful life, I always knew that later in life, I would have a small (farm). After raising my two sons, and following my husbands job, always making a home wherever we lived. We finally found a 13 acre plot, that we knew would be ours forever.

My husband is an avid birder, so we turned our place into a nature preserve. It is located in the Sam Houston National Forest, so few places left, that we wanted to keep most of it natural. We have butterfly plants, over 20 nest boxes for our little birds, lot's of feeders. We put out any scraps of food for all the other critters, fox, bob cat, wild pigs, racoons and bunnies! We put in nature trails, picnic tables, and a small cottage for people to stay overnight.

We then set out and got two miniature donkeys! They are adorable. They were 4 months old when we got them, and they are like big dogs. So tame! They call to us when they see us outside, and just make us happy to hear them when they see a stray dog or cat! We have six dogs, two cats, a tortoise, and a wonderful little mini lop bunny.

Our gardens are natural, butterfly plants, and vines with berries for birds, and lot's of containers with strawberries! They birds keep them cleaned up for me!

We decided to build a very small house, just enough to keep us dry. It looks like a little country house, with trees as columns. All windows - as to view the world! Not one curtain. There's a porch on the front that views our two ponds. And lot's of catfish there!

It's just our little piece of heaven here in the forest! Alot of our friends can't figure why we would want to live so far from everything. We love it. My husband actually drives 63 miles one way for his job. Fortunately, I work here. We built a barn, had it finished out inside for my quilting studio, and our little one room rustic cottage for guests! Just what we always dreamed of!

So that's how we got here! Just a dream we had! When we first moved here, my husband was out feeding the birds, and we were just walking and enjoying our little nature preserve, and he said "honey, we finally got our farm", and I love it.

When it dark here, it is really dark. No lights, and no traffic. Most days, I don't even get out of my p.j.'s. I just love it!

So that's it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :>)

Enjoy your nature trails!

love, hugs, and strawberries from Richards, TX

gloria g.

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  10:57:38 AM  Show Profile
We are in the midst of doing that very thing. Hopefully by spring. We have already transfered our kids to the school district in Freeman and hope to move that way soon. Our neighborhood is lovely with fabulous views of the Spokane Valley, but it is also very materialistic, there is no privacy and we just want the peace and quiet of the country. So we will sell our suburbia and gladly take the run down fixer upper to be in "God's Country."

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  5:11:34 PM  Show Profile
I like what Gloria said...'When it's dark out here, it's really dark' yes it is and on a clear night the stars are glorious. On the warm summer nights I often sit outside very late and just watch stars and an occasional satellite go by. I have a vaiation on the moving story. We lived in the country on our dream farm. Raised children, chickens, lambs, pigs a calf or two and of course ponies and horses. But the city came to us and pushed and shoved
until we had to go. Before we even finished moving our house was vandelized and many treasures taken. The house the barn the sheds are all gone now but I wept most when my English Walnut tree was chopped down. We now live in another little countryhome backed up to the woods on a dirt road and I love it, but I lived in my special house and raised my babies and darn it I miss it. Life does go on and we take our specialness with us where ever we go.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Calling all city girls who moved to the country Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page