DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a small lawn area outside my window here where I'm sitting. I've put three bird feeders out there with various kinds of seeds. I just love to watch the variety of birds. At this moment I have 3 quail, whiskey jacks, oregon juncos, rufous sided towhees, fox sparrows, a golden crown sparrow and enough pine siskins on one feeder that it looks like a beehive! Oh wait, and now one birdless feeder that has one very fat grey squirrel in it and a jay that is none too happy about it!
Anyone else love to watch all the different birds?

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I do..I usually have 2 types of doves, the bully blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, housefinches.

they are a delight to watch.

I have several bird feeders right outside my kitchen window.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  5:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, yes, my husband and I live in a national forest and have over 20 next boxes up, owl box, duck boxes, and feed birds. We do have different ones from you, but my husband has always fed birds. He is a park naturalist and loves all the little critters in our yard! Glad to hear you enjoy them like we do!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  6:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love bird watching, its great. I have feeders all over & can spend alot of time watching them. its very relaxing.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  8:03:22 PM  Show Profile
That's something I need to research, how to build owl boxes for the species around here. Last fall I had a tiny sawwhet owl in the bushes by our creek. He was adorable. We hear owls almost every night here. The back of our property is also heavily forested and we choose to leave it like that, mostly for the owls. I think owls are my favorite of all the birds.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I ADORE birds! When I worked in the real estate construction department at the bank, whenever our site inspector went out I begged him to look for abandoned/fallen birds nests for me, since I like to tuck them here and there around the house and in dried wreaths, etc. He nicknamed me "BB" for "bird brain"! When we lived in western Massachusetts, during one terrific snowstorm in 1981, I decided to try to handfeed a wild bird. Chickadees are my alltime FAVORITE, and so I sat patiently, freezingly, half in and half out between the sliding glass doors when FINALLY a chickadee came to check me out....first hovering and darting off and then returning and sitting on my hand to select a sunflower seed. They are so light, it was almost like having a cotton ball resting on my palm. Pure magic.

Fast forward five or six years later, to 1987 or so, and me and my two young sons had moved here to Norfolk...the inspector had come through and brought me a superb nest, which I had put on a cookie sheet in the oven to kill any parasitic pests. I took it out of the oven just as my oldest son, then about 7 or 8, came into the kitchen.. Horrified, he asked if that was what we were having for dinner!! I now have a feeder on the front porch, and we can sip coffee and sit sideways on the sofa so we can watch the birds come. I have two adirondack chairs on the front porch right near the feeder but if we stay still, they come anyway. One of the charming things about my French hubby is that he loves nature. One afternoon we were sitting on the porch and he began to answer a bird. As they conversed back and forth I finally asked him what he was saying! "I don't know!" was his reply....guess the bird wasn't speaking French.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I love watching birds also! I put up a bunch of feeders when we first moved here. I enjoy seeing our regulars-we get nuthatches, chickadees, cardinals, several kinds of woodpecks, goldfinch, etc. I also enjoy watching our "seasonal" visitors. The phoebes nest on the porch every summer but leave in the fall, the hummingbirds are also summer guests. Yesterday I saw some of our winter regulars for the first time this season-juncos!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  7:14:07 PM  Show Profile
We are bird watchers here too! Some of you may remember when I posted about my son and the peregrin falcons. They came by often to say hello again this year but I think they migrated early (we hope...)this year. We normally have hummingbirds(June and September) goldfinches (state bird),blackcap chicadees,purple finches, catbirds, Jenny wrens, blue jays, cardinals, robins, doves, red tail hawks, starlings and crows (yuck! I call them "bully birds"!), one owl that we know of.
We have herons and seagulls(yes, seagulls...) at the lake at the end of our street. There are also mallard, muscogee, and domestic ducks, canadian geese,strangely marked geese that have interbred (I think), and sometimes in April and late September swans that are migrating. On the other side of the lake is a marsh and we know of 4 pairs of nesting eagles that seem to have settled on nesting there. I'm sure I have forgotten some but that's all for now.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  6:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
We love to watch the birds too. I have a field guide and we mark the pages for the birds that have come to our feeders with the date. It's fun to see how the migration dates jive from year to year. One of our favorites are Pileated Woodpeckers (pill-ee-eighted in case that's a new bird for you). They look like Woody Woodpecker, are quite large and VERY noisy. For two summers we had a red-tailed hawk that had her nest nearby. The other birds were very wary as she raised her young. The funniest thing was how the mother would bring the chicks to sit on our deck railing right by the feeder and then leave. I guess it was sort of supposed to be a drive-in restaurant or something. After about half an hour of nothing happening, the babies would start squawking and crying until momma bird would come back. I think it's rather therapeutic... like watching fish in a tank.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  06:05:59 AM  Show Profile
I love watching the birds! When we bought our first home two years ago, the first thing my mom brought me was bird feeders. She filled them up and stood back and told me to watch. One little bird swooped down, checked it out and bolted through the yard. He must have been shouting "Dinner Time!" because within minutes the feeders were full. I have seen all sorts of birds, from darling chickadees to hawks. We even had a pair of those HUGE woodpeckers that I can't think of the name of right now! My favorites are the Bluejays and Cardinals. They are common here but when my daughter was about 11/2 we lived in a rented house in the country. I was a young, new mom and didn't pay much attention to nature at the time but we would sit at the picture window and watch Bluejays and Cardinals eat berries until there hearts content. Marie would say "BIRD", spitting the word out in the cutest way. We only lived there 3 months due to the death of my husband. The road obviously was difficult since then, but how the Lord has blessed me! I remarried and two years ago we started house hunting after 10 years in a mobile home park. When I found the house I am in I heard in my heart the Lord telling me that He is restoring what I lost. My daughter is 14 now and I just smile with joy when I look out my back windows and see the Bluejays and Cardinals again.
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  7:52:00 PM  Show Profile
I love the birds too! I get that from my mom, she taught us what all the birds were when I was little. I have three feeders right now.

My husband just built the "wall of Davis" actually its a 8 ft fence privacy fence between us and the neighbors (:o) and he said we could put birdhouses all down the whole fence so that will be his next project to build some more birdhouses!!

My Blog: http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Watching the birds... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page