Page: of 2

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  07:40:07 AM  Show Profile
It's sad that this topic must come up for those on city water. It's supposed to be better, though I know in some big cities there is nothing safe coming out of the tap. I don't like the chlorine and we have pretty good water, but I'm also at the beginning of the water supply. I hope you all can find the best way to make this work as water is too crucial.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  7:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Boiling will get rid of bacteria, but it's not going to do anything for arsenic and lead. You'll need a filter for those.

We have a Brita, but we're also on NYC aqueduct water (which comes from the Catskills) so we are lucky to drink some of the best tap water in the world. The Brita really just filters out what little chlorine taste there is in our water.

Reverse osmosis water systems are ridiculously expensive, but make some of the best water I've ever tasted, especially if you add minerals. It tastes like the best icy cold, straight-from-the-pure-mountain-spring water you've ever had. However, like I said, effing expensive.

Could you maybe bring your own containers to buy water from the store? Or complain to your water treatment facility and start a petition to clean up your tap water? Your tax dollars pay for water treatment services, so they should not be leaving arsenic and lead in your water!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  09:29:50 AM  Show Profile
WE use and have used the brita pitcher for years.... changing the filter every couple months is much less expensive then buying bottled water. I read an article on bottle water vs tap and filtered water like the pur or brita... all the bottled water brands were given a D or F in cleanliness compared to the filtered pitcher which got a B... the tap water varied according to where you live.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What do you do about water? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page