graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  5:17:36 PM  Show Profile
I waited till the last minute to mail-order some presents, now it's down to the wire and they are not here yet. So today I'm starting to panic - what to do? We are on a super-tight budget and I'm sticking to it, but at the same time I can't not have presents for my mom, dad and father-in-law. So today I stopped by our itty-bitty little small town thrift store that's only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays - I have to make sure I leave work in time to make it as they are only open till 4 - anyway, lo and behold I found the perfect book presents for all 3 of them. Cost me all of $4. Still on my budget. I love that - it's like they were waiting for me.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes you can find some amazing deals at those thrift stores. And never go over your budget! Maybe they really were waiting for you--God can be like that.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  9:16:55 PM  Show Profile
I think that's just awesome, Amy Grace! Congratulations on your finds! I actually did a lot of shopping at our local "junk store," as my step-dad calls it, this year! I found this one kiosk that had beautiful old cans and other vintage finds...some were decorated, others waiting for some holiday sprucing up! My oldest and dearest friend really loves that kind of thing, so I bought a vintage wire milk basket with a red handle and two old glass-top canning jars to nestle inside for a whopping $7 on sale - no kidding! The basket had a cute little Christmas spray of berries and pine affixed to the front already. I tied a fancy homemade Christmas tag under the spray, filled one jar with my famous-with-the-neighborhood-kids hot chocolate mix and the other with candy canes and a small bag of mini marshmallows tucked inside with them. I copied down the instructions and recipe for the hot chocolate mix for her and nestled it in the basket underneath the handle between the two jars. I mailed it off to her on Saturday, and I was on the phone with her when she opened it last night. All I kept hearing was, "Ooooh! OOOOH! Ooooooh! This is SO beautiful!!! I love it!!! Oh my gosh! This is too much!!!" She thought I had spent way too much money on it and wanted to know what specialty shop I found it in. I just giggled. Made me wish I had taken a picture! LOL! She said it was one of the most excellent gifts she has ever received because it was just "so her." I knew she would love it!!! So yes, I am totally celebrating thrift stores with you! You can ABSOLUTELY find wonderful gifts there for just the right person and just the right price... and sometimes they become even more special with a few small, personal touches! And I think Cindy's right - God definitely has His Hand in it all! He loves making His kids smile!!!

Merry Christmas! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  05:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Awesome buys Amy Grace! I love the thrift stores.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  05:56:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a few friends and we have a five dolllar limit for each other. So, we shop all year at garage sales and thriftstores for the perfect gifts. It's awesome and I always get perfect gifts. I buy most of my family gifts this way too, and everyone is happy. No malls for me!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  8:38:58 PM  Show Profile
I found a twin-sized hand-crocheted bedspread, made out of the tiny beadspread yarn, with pretty little multi-colored roses in the center of each square (you've seen these as those little rose potholders)...this masterpiece must have taken someone over a year to make...it's obviously made with love.

The bedspread had two tiny places that needed repaired....no problem since I've been fixing these types of things for many years....and now I have a one of a kind gift for my impossible to impress mother. I know she'll love it! AND....the cost? $14.99. The yarn would have cost more than that.....

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  9:45:06 PM  Show Profile
I love to find gifts for people who would do the same at thrift shops. And trust me...most of my friends and family WOULD do the same. I especially love to give books and love getting books as well...you got a great deal. I feel like that sometimes..like the perfect bargains are just waiting for me when I need them. Awesome!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  11:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Thrift-shopping is such a part of our lives, it ceertainly extends to gifts! This year, thrift-shop books and CDs will be gifts; other years, other things!
The two ' big gifts' for my elder and middle daughters both are thrift-shop purchases... but I already gave them! I got a brand-new, really huge cast-iron Dutch oven for one... so big I wasn't sure she could lift it. So I gave it early, in case it was a disappointment. It wasn't!
Second daughter changed rooms and wanted a desk... which I found... but again, wasn't sure she'd want this type. She did! The bummer is no 'big deal' on Christmas, but in fact, they had an extra three weeks of use and pleasure in the gifts, and are still thrilled.
Kinda wanted that Dutch oven, myself, though!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  5:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I was at a Thrift Store last night and I bought an old like ladies travel bag for cosmetics. I think it was called a train bag and I hope to make a sewing case out of it after Christmas. It is in great shape. I am not sure how I am going to do the inside. Any wonderful suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  8:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow - lots of awesome thrift store stories, I love it!!

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2010 :  8:47:11 PM  Show Profile
I bought my friend a vintage teapot complete with a copper felt-lined cozy. It is sooo cute! The lid 'locks' into place, too. It cost a whopping 3 dollars. She loved it!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2010 :  12:17:01 PM  Show Profile
You farmgirls are sooooo lucky. I could never find a great bargain here at NJ/NY. Everything is soooo expensive it is crazy. My husband knows I love thrift store but we could never find one here. Don't know why.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Annie, our thrift store prices have gone up a lot too, especially in the city where I work. Everybody jumped on the E-bay bandwagon a few years ago and things got pricey. I mostly find books these days - I used to find things like 30's velvet dresses for $3, those days are over but I can still find good deals other stuff.
My mom found a piano bench for me at a thrift store and re-upholstered it - that was one of my favorite gifts this year.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  10:13:02 PM  Show Profile
hey AmyGrace,
at the Value Village (one over on Boone in Spk and the other one is on Sprague in SPK.Valley)... has 99cent day on Mondays...they designate a certain colored tag and anything with that color tag is 99cents no matter what the price tag...I actually bought a mod 1960's sewing machine in it's cabinet for 99cents...No Lie! Even I was shocked no one had snagged it.,.and it works!
Since I make a lot of rag rugs from sheets, i look for sheets w/the 99cent tags....I can make a good sized rug for $2.00 how cool is that?
Yep there are a lot of wonderful Thrifting stories around here.
And how wonderful to repurpose with those great finds!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  5:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads-up about 99 cent Mondays Grace - I had quit going to that VV because the prices have been so high and I got burned out. I can still find treasures occasionally though - I miss St. Vincents, all of them, I always found good stuff there.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to tell you that on Friday's it is 50% off on a specific colored tag, day @ Val.Vil....and often times what ever that tag color is, most likely it will be the coming Monday's 99cent color tag,,, most times...

I know the 'St. Vincent's de Paul' closed up about 3 years ago...I wonder if they all did, We had one back in So.Cal., for Chatholic Charities...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  8:06:53 PM  Show Profile
It was only the Spokane St. Vincents as far as I know, I think my mom said the one in C d'A is still going.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  7:28:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by njaw09

You farmgirls are sooooo lucky. I could never find a great bargain here at NJ/NY. Everything is soooo expensive it is crazy. My husband knows I love thrift store but we could never find one here. Don't know why.

I feel your pain, njaw09! I'm originally from ND, but have lived in the Hudson Valley for going on two years now - the thrift stores out there are pretty pricey. My advice? See if you can find a small town or rural farming area to thrift shop in. My boyfriend has family up in Herkimer County, NY and they have a few really good thrift stores up there. And of course, now that I'm home to ND for a week for New Year's, I've been thrifting up a storm! Too bad I can't take more dishware home with me on the plane. I'm addicted to vintage glass! I'm settling for vintage cookbooks instead. :)

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  11:19:58 PM  Show Profile
love to find bargins in the local thrift stores... the trick is to window shop often so you can get the deals before the are gone.
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  11:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Try finding local churches that run a thrift store on certain days of the week.
Even in pricey areas, you can find them. We don't have nearby thrift stores, but
our small town churches run two - one on Thursdays, and one on Saturdays.
Look for a sign board out in front - great deals, and cheaper than Sally Army & Goodwill!
(Sad when we're so cheap that big thrift stores are expensive! LOL)

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To prove to the opossum that it could be done!

Stacked Stone Farm www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile
We shop at Goodwill and Value Village here in our city. I find the prices are very reasonable and we've found some great things.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:10:32 PM  Show Profile
We are blessed with lots of thrift stores and flea markets and consignment stores in our area. It lets my teenager wear name brand clothes at prices we can afford.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1826 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1826 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:29:26 PM  Show Profile
We have consignment stores, good will, salvation army and st vincent.
It is the most fun to shop for bargains at these stores. Clothes,
dishes, gift items, etc. It is a way of life to shop used and save money. I also consign things and make money that way. It is the only way to go.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Thrift store christmas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page