Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Budgeting for first time - help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Budgeting for first time - help! Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, it's high time hubby and I start budgeting and finding out where our money goes and where it shouldn't. I dearly want to start a budget but I don't want it to be so complicated that we get overwhelmed and don't follow it.

Any ideas on something simple?

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  6:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Do you know where your money goes? Before you even start a budget, I would suggest both of you keeping a journal of EVERY purchase you make for a month. Then get together and see where your money is going. There are so many ways to budget, but none of them will work if you aren't aware of what you are spending in the first place.

It can be a little overwhelming and intimidating starting on a budget, but I can say with confidence that it is the best thing you can do. Once you find your budget, you'll find the freedom that comes from having one.

Sarah
Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:52:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen! I really like the financial calculators at Crown Financial Ministries. http://www.crown.org/ Just go to the bar at the top of the page, highlight the "Tools" button, scroll down to click on "Calculators," and then the first three calculators on the page that comes up are to help you set up your budget. The second one actually fills in your guideline percentages in each spending category, and when you enter your annual gross income and annual taxes (as well as your tithe, if that is something you do), it will automatically calculate guidelines for spending in the "usual" spending categories people have. You can, of course, adjust your budget to fit your needs, but it really does help you gain perspective about reasonable spending within your income. And the entire website is chock-full of information, including debt-payoff, loan and mortgage calculators, and the site also discusses many other areas of concern such as life insurance, savings, retirement, etc. It's an excellent resource, I assure you; so please do check it out when you can! Good luck! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  8:06:26 PM  Show Profile
I have found that if you take a few minutes each evenin to write out what was spent it is most effective. We kept all our reciepts everyday and then wrote them down at night. I then inventoried the list at the end of each week and kept a record of types of spendin.

I had a total for sodas and snacks bought while drivin, food for the house, gas, utilities, clothes, toy for kids, toys for adults, money spent on others, and smokes. I hate the last one the most, but it is a work in progress.

I actually found that we were spendin more on sodas and snack while drivin than on food for the house! We are only allowed one soda a day on the days we go to town and no snacks. I keep a small tote bag for throwin snacks and sodas from the house in hangin by the door. I have found that if you don't deny yourself totally you will do better.

I also learned that we weren't able to say no when asked to join others for shoppin or goin out to eat. To solve that problem we decided to announce our trips to go shoppin and out to eat to our friends, that way we feel like we still get that time together without any guilt at sayin no other times. We do enjoy carpoolin to the big discount stores that are an hour away, and it lets us kinda control the timin of the trips. We try to stress that we are limited on time so the out to eat trip for the month is at a later time. Two trips with our friends every month! Yea!

Take it slow if you have the time. Make sure you keep as acurate as possible on your records. Be sure to leave a little wiggle room in the budget if you have the money for it. If you're already in a crunch, there are a few places to get help in a hurry. Do some computer research for your area and you might even call your bank. I got some really great budgeting papers and articles from a bank website!

Good luck! You can email me directly if I can be of any help. Really!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Budgeting for first time - help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page