Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile
After reading MaryJane's topic in the recent Cluck, I am reminded again why we need to vote. If anything we need to vote to honor our Foremother's the Suffragetes who fought for our right to vote. I feel that American's don't understand what a privilege it is to live in a country that is FREE and self-governed by The People. I know some people don't think that their vote counts. It does. Take for example a recent local race that was won by two votes! My DH and SIL were in Iraq during their first voting as a democracy. The people (even the women) came out in droves to vote eventhough they had a huge possibility of being attacked! Their voter turn-out was somewhere in the ninety percentile. Something this country has never seen. Please take the time and vote.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  09:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Just L@@K at the joy and resolve radiating from that woman's face! Marvelous!

A teacher once told us that "the minute you think your vote doesn't matter, and decide not to vote - it won't... You'll be completely reliquishing your life to the opinions and decisions of others - do you really want that? Isn't that precisely why teenagers can't wait to grow up, leave their homes and start their own lives?" I've never forgotten that.

Our brave and loving forefathers and mothers hoped for and believed in the possibilities for the future greatness of our nation. We must always remember that our freedom is a privilege - an indescribable GIFT given to us by the sacrifices and blood of those who came before us, as well as from those who sacrifice of themselves for us today. We must always ensure the echoes of their voices resound, for they themselves now rest in the silence of these sacrifices! We must always live and act with the deepest gratitude and reverence for their hopes, dreams and faith in us.

I am grateful to be an American. I don't always like what is happening, I don't always agree with my neighbor. That's okay - it opens discussion, sometimes enlightens and sometimes ends up in agreement to simply disagree. That is the beauty of being American. Making a difference comes from one spark of thought spoken through one small voice with the potential to inspire greatness in action. Please do vote! Let us always exercise our freedom to be heard in the hopes of making a difference!

Thank you, Diane for your family's sacrifices and service. My deepest gratitude to all of you out there who have made these sacrifices. May God bless all of you - and America!

- Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Wow...thanks Diane and Nini... beautiful words.
Proud to be an American ...

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great points! I love having the right to vote!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh look at that pretty beaming face!
Our right to vote, is right up there with freedom of speech for me. Thank you Diane and Nini!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:55:34 AM  Show Profile
I whole-heartedly agree with you on that one, too, Annika! (Surprising coming from such a "wordy" farmgirl, huh?! LOL!) Hugs to all - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Her face says it all. I get so frustrated with all the crap these politicians put us through. I really hate it. But I know I should vote. I do vote for the presidents. But these other little races really get to me. I think I will not think about that and research the people running and make an inteligent vote. I know we are a very privelaged country. We do take things for granted. SO I will be a more responsible citizen.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  8:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder Diane. I know this sounds a tad nerdy, but I can't wait until I have a say in the policies and people that are that make up our country's backbone. Some people complain and whine about our country and state's policies, then you ask them if they vote, they say no! They may say that what will my one vote count for? It counts for a lot, and with one vote, you can change something!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  03:42:00 AM  Show Profile
Megan, not nerdy at all. I remember the first time I was old enough to vote. It was for Ronald Reagan in 1980! I even vote at the primary and local elections.
Kris, it is wise to research candidates and don't be swayed by mud slinging TV ads!
Nini, beautiful.

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diane!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4743 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4743 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  5:45:38 PM  Show Profile
I feel if you don't vote, then you don't have an opinion!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  04:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Bumping this topic for today. Get out and vote!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13643 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13643 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  05:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Amen and Amen!!!! The right for us to vote is a battle hard fought!!!
One of my sisters says she doesn't vote because she doesn't think anybody knows anything. I tell her "if you don't vote then don't be complaining!" I know that the race for governor in Colorado is one that would be won by one vote!!!
YAY!!! WHAT A PRIVILEGE!!! WHAT AN HONOR!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  05:40:32 AM  Show Profile
I go along with CeeJay voting is a privilege, and if we do not like what is going on in our country and do note voice and do our patriotic thing then shame on us to complain!
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  06:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Got up this morning a few minutes earlier than usual to make sure to get to the polling station. I knew there wouldn't be much wait because it's the mid-terms, and I was right, but I made sure I was right there to vote. It was only me and another older gentleman (and about 20 poll workers!) but it feels good to contribute. Justin will take Violet with him later today....this will be her 2nd election :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  09:04:27 AM  Show Profile
We vote by mail so I voted a week ago. I just know it will be such a relief to have all the horrible political ads off the TV. I think this is the worst they have ever been. Just think what a short time women have actually had the right to vote. I feel like CJ - if you don't vote then you don't have a right to complain....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile
...I have voted every year since I became of age! That was 1978! Whooohoooo!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  2:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Yep! I've already voted. I've always felt that I don't have the right to complain about anything, unless I've used my voice to effect change (through voting). Here's a little about a history-based movie about women suffragettes called Iron-Jawed Angels (there's a 3 min. movie trailer, too, but be forewarned that it's pretty emotional). http://womensvoicesforchange.org/video-on-election-day-iron-jawed-angels.htm

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  3:29:15 PM  Show Profile
There was an article in our local paper today about a 103-year-old woman who was born on Nov. 2 and has voted in every election all her life. She can remember a time when the women's vote wasn't taken seriously. If that doesn't inspire you to vote, nothing will.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  6:19:40 PM  Show Profile
I am going to get that movie "Ironed-Jawed Angels", it looks really good and we could all use a little reminder of what our sisters went through so we could vote. Thanks Jewel for the link.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  8:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! It felt good to go vote today! My 3 kids with me and watching me and learning what it means to be a citizen of the United States. We have to pass the importance on to the next generation! Thanks for the topic post Fiddlehead!!!! I love that picture!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2010 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Proud to be an American!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  05:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Diane and Nini, thank you for the beautiful written expressions about our privilege to vote.

As I was reading, I enjoyed thinking about our right in a historical context. It's important that we vote for our candidates, but also to think about our own link in the chain of events.

Thanks again.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:55:11 AM  Show Profile
We have the same apathy in Canada where people don't go out to vote (then complain about who was elected). I think it is a great privilege to be able to vote (and one of the things I most looked forward to being able to do when I turned 18 those many years ago).

When you look at countries where people litterally risk their lives to go to the poles it makes us realize how fortunate we are to have a voice.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  8:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Here in OK they said that only about half of the registered voters actually casted votes this year. That just ticks me off!! As a veteran (and the wife and mother of veterans), I know from the stories my friends who have been in some of those hell holes, what a privilege and honor it is to vote. We also as a country have fought long and hard to retain this. I just don't understand. I remember my first vote in 1972! I was so proud and I have voted in every election since. I have instilled that into my children and both of my DDs are married to soldiers and they make sure to get in their votes, too, no matter where they are.

Now, how do we get everyone else to do it?

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  03:43:21 AM  Show Profile
Kay, that is a good question. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone. I hope it never comes down to this. I am the wife of a career military man and my daughter is married to a career military man. They took an oath to uphold the constitution and they fight to maintain our freedoms and liberties. I feel it is an honor to be able to vote and I also remember my first vote in 1980! I guess it will have to be up to us farmgirls to pass on this knowledge to our children and grandchildren. Both of my children go to the polls and I don't have to remind them. They do it by example and duty. By the way, thank you for your service!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Taking our Vote for Granted Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page