neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  12:23:20 PM  Show Profile
I have a pommeranian that has a persistant dry cough with occasional gagging. I've taken her to the vet three times, she's had three rounds of antibiotics, steroids, and an antibiotic shot. None of this has helped her. She has been tested for heartworm/negative. What else can I do? It doesn't seem terribly serious and she doesn't cough all the time but it is persistant (daily). I did some research and read very positive things about putting a small amount of food grade peroxide in her water, several people said this really helped, but cannot find any in my area. Has anyone had any experience with this and resolved it ? Perhaps it's a simple dryness in her throat, should I give her a small amount of oil or something else to lubricate her throat ? Maybe it's allergy related, she does scratch at her skin a lot but she has no fleas or rashes. ?? She eats dry kibble, is given fresh water every day and drinks a good amount of water daily. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  4:59:22 PM  Show Profile
hi anita, i would think the 3 percent in the first aid section would work. we swish our teeth with it daily. maybe she has bacteria in her throat. the peroxide would help control them. just a thought not sure. hope this helps sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  7:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like allergies to me. Dog, cats and horses are all prone to allergies. Dog can take benedryl you just have to find the right dose for her size. If you have gone the antibiotic route twice I wouldn't do it again. Children's benedryl is best for smaller dogs. Also if she is a pomm and scratches or licks she could have hair in her throat. Give her some cod liver oil to wash it down and out.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  06:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like allergies. Get some local honey, it has to be local. The honey from bees that are close to where you live have antibodies to the allergens in your area. Give her a little local honey every day. Also the Children's benedryl helps.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  11:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Anita,

A condition common to toy breeds (especially in Poms, toy poodles, and yorkies) is collapsing trachea. Has she ever been treated/examined for this condition? Did your vet do bloodwork before giving an antibiotic? Just wondering. I mean, if she does not/did not show elevated white cell count and he has given it 3 times, it seems to me that's just a flat out waste of your money! Just a thought. Dogs are very suseptible to upper respiratory infections such as Bordetella, but anyway.

Here is a link to the cause of collapsing trachea:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1527

And here is another article regarding it:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=410

I hope this helps.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile
My pooch has the same problem. She also sucks air when she gets excited. The vet took x-rays and also looked down her throat, but could find nothing. I have quit using a choke collar and instead using a harness. It seems to be getting better.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  1:05:44 PM  Show Profile
A check of the throat is in order. There are little things called sacules (maybe liken to our tonsils?)that can become inflammed and even need to be removed. FYI, most canine allergies present as skin or ear redness, rather than respiratory like with us.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  3:32:39 PM  Show Profile
You can also research 'reverse sneezing' in dogs which is extremely common. Looks scary, but it harmless. Happens in toy breeds a lot.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  10:08:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, I will try your suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  09:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Well just an update on little miss Molly, the vet said she may have collapsed trachea, common in small breeds, after tests discovered heart/lung problem. Enlarged heart & some fluid on lungs was causing her cough. She's on three medications a day and doing much better.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  01:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Hope Molly is feeling better. It is so hard to see our little friends suffer without an idea how to help. Glad you got a diagnosis.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  06:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Poor Molly! I'm so glad that she is on the medicine and hopefully on the mend. My own pom, Mr.Pook is almost 7 and is a little joy to have. We love our fur-friends =}

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts