City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  03:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Haven't been on MJF for some time now. I've been trying to weed my home of unnecessary clutter. I have huge piles in my dining room, my hall upstairs, the living room and the kids playroom.

I'm setting up the garage for a sale today. Anything that does not go - is going to charity!

If I get enough work done setting up/tagging - I'm going to go through the house in another sweep to see if there's anything else. Once these piles are gone, I can't wait to see how the house feels. Lighter, less cluttered. I'm going to continue with the decluttering, setting a monthly goal of at LEAST 1 bag to charity a month.

I'm so proud of my girls (12 & 9) - they did a bang up job in the playroom!

Going to be a long next few days. I better keep the coffee pot filled!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile
That is a big job, good for you! Hope everything sells. Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  05:50:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness. I'm doing the same thing at my house =) Best of luck!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  06:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Good luck on your sale. I Just had a pick up here yesterday from a charity and sent away six large bags.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  08:05:18 AM  Show Profile
That is what I am doing too....washing windows, clearing clutter, fixing things and doing things I have put off until the heat left. Good luck with your sale and de-cluttering. I have to go do some of my own now....glad to hear I'm not alone!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  08:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's wonderful! Good luck with the sale today!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  08:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever watched the hoarding show?? Every time I watch that I have to get up and clean after . I could not live like that but it is a good incentive for me to clean out my house!!! hehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Hope the sale goes well. I am in the process of getting ready for a garage sale myself. We have too much stuff!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  03:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Today is the day. I need to run out shortly and put my signs up. (Wish I had a 9am start time instead of 8am - oh well.) My friend is sending her husband & 12 yo dd over to help me. Since my dh is working. My Mom & sister will be over much later. They haven't tagged their things yet.

I'm so nervous. I pray I can relax, once I have everything done. I forgot about washing out the kool aid cooler for the kids. They're having a drink/hot chocolate stand. I need to wash out the water heater thingy for the hot chocolate. I baked some cupcakes for them as well - to sell.

Don't think I'll do this again.

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  03:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Never again.

I'll just stick to donating it. It was a lot of work. I made $50.00 all weekend and still have a garage full of stuff.

My churches youth group said they'll take everything for their rummage sale. I'll be hauling it over some time today so we can park in the garage again.

I think now I'm going to place a box in each of my girls rooms so they can toss in clothing that they don't love or doesn't fit and anything else that they want to get rid of. My box will go in the closet.

I have a taste of what decluttering can do - so I need to stick with it! Area's of my home feel so much home-ier.

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  07:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Yes....sales are a lot of work and I'm sorry you didn't get more for your effort but if your home feels "homier" and you have $50.00 more in your pocket it was not all for naught. Pat yourself on the back and look at the time you shared with your family. You did good girlfriend! You're a better woman than me...I have never had a garage where I could park my car in it...but I'm not a "hoarder" like on t.v....I watch that show too just to keep me honest! LOL! It's a great motivator!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  08:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I hate to say this but if you have never been able to park your car in your garage you might want to think about it. hehehehehehehe That might be a little bit of hoarding! hehehehehehehe Don't mean this in a mean way at all. bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  04:05:45 AM  Show Profile
It gets mighty cold here. It's really nice to walk into a heated garage in the winter time and not have to scrape my windows. A little incentive to keep it free from junk. (well, a lot of junk - we do keep a lot of stuff in there).

I took books over to half price books and made $30.00!!!

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  04:08:43 AM  Show Profile
I hauled another truckload of books over to half price books. 2 huge boxes and 3 smaller ones. Made $30.00 not bad. At least it's not cluttering up my house anymore.

I have 1 HUGE box packed for charity along with a partially filled one in the playroom. I had dh drag out the clothing bin from storage. Went through that and have a pile of clothes for my youngest dd and a big garbage bag full for charity. I still have 1 more bin to go through.

Don't know what I'll get done today since my girls are off of school. But I still have a ways to go. Feeling lighter already!

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  04:38:36 AM  Show Profile
just keep plugging aay at it--the clutter didn't all accumulate in one day or one week!!!!!!!

i have hoarding tendencies; i'm ashamed to say...and am in process of making my teeny trailer "home"--moved in here last december -ouch!!!finally decorating the way I want and making MY mark!!!!!!

~~~one day at a time~~~ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  10:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Deb..you're doing great! And Beverly...I'm sure you are probably right but it's touch and go...some of my house is immaculate and other parts are messy...anyway...I'm getting outside stuff done before winter or at least trying! I have outdoor landscaping, cleaning the car and the garage and outside painting. So, far I've cleaned 1/3 of the car...detailing it completely inside and out. Then I worked on garage and cleared and cleaned about 1/12 of it and then pulled a giant wheelbarrow full of weeds from my landscaping in the front that went bad (don't ever buy landscape "fabric"....the weeds came up thick as thieves through that and 6 inches of mulch...Bermuda grass....it IS a weed in my book! I was trying to go organic but had to get Roundup to kill it). You can definitely see the progress and it is staying tolerable here now temp-wise so I can work outside. It's still high 80's but the humidity is low.
Yesterday was cooking and today is bills & finances so I may not get out there until tomorrow now.

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  06:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Deb Sounds good, It does feel so good to fall clean, well.. it feels good after Not during lol. Yes the hoarders show on T.V. always makes me clean.
Heather
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  04:28:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm still at it. Tackling 1 area a day. The dining room - I cleaned out the drawers on the buffet & china cabinet. Imagine my families surprise when they could open a drawer without things falling out from being crowded in there.

My living room - I cleaned off my end table. I'm a hoarder of magazines. I've cleared out all except for the current month. The coffee table is the cleanest it's been in years, Next is the cabinet in the entertainment center. perhaps today.

Little bits at a time. I also would like to report - I haven't felt that horrible feeling when the doorbell rings. I actually feel comfortable letting people in the house. MAJOR accomplishment for me. I would like to start having people over again. Thank the Good Lord!

Farm Girl #790

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Deb! How exciting!! It really sounds like you are making progress!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

redfarmhouse
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kim
Yukon Ok
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  07:08:35 AM  Show Profile
This is the rule that I try to live by on clutter:
If you don't use it, need it, or love it, donate it!

Just built an old fashioned red farmhouse and are now hobby farming it.
Visit me at redfarmhouse.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  08:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Kim, good rule, except if you don't use it, you probably don't need it. If you love it and don't use it and can't display it (to show it off) then it too should be gone. I can say that because that is what I am doing. I have promised my kids, especially my daughter that they will not have to go through my stuff and figure out what to do with it. If it is a "thing" that belonged to my Mom or Grandma, then I pass it on to a granddaughter or neice. I have a booth in my Nephew's antique store. I call it my glorified garage sale. Take lots of stuff there. Also have an ongoing box for Good Will or church.

With all that said, My house is a wreck! Especially my office/craft room. Then there is all the gardens that didn't get cleaned up. Have a celler full, storage shed (working on it) Potting shed, screened in porch and a big shop. Oh and my car is a mess. That is because I haul around all the stuff that needs to go to the booth or Good Will.

OK, I'm tired now.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  2:49:58 PM  Show Profile
I find I save more on income tax by donating my stuff than I would make on a garage sale, plus it is a lot less work. We live in an area, if I had a garage sale, if I have something marked 50 cents someone will ask if I will take a quarter. It's not worth it.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  08:19:16 AM  Show Profile
Cathy, you are right, especially with clothing. Most garage sales are dirty and messy. They are a real turn off when it comes to cloths. Goodwill will give you a recipt and is quite handy. Another thing that is hard to get rid of is paper back books. I take them to Good Will also. Will check to see if there is a used book store around.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile
You can always donate hardback and paperback books to your library. If they don't need it, they will sell it at their used book sale.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  1:42:42 PM  Show Profile
That's what I do with my books - take them to the library, as well as old VHS tapes (not everybody has a DVD player yet). There's a "Reuse It" shop here in town that I have domated tons of stuff from clothing, kitchen goods to yarn. But I also have bought a lot of stuff from them as well. Also give clothes to the boys and girls club for their store in Rapid City. It feels good to be able to contribute to their causes and also to support them by buying. Plus, less stuff going into the landfill!!!! I'm all for reusing and repurposing.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile
I have been working on this very thing for a few weeks now. I (we) have way to much stuff.
So away most must go. Fun to hear others post on their progress in this area.
Go girls !!!
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Major decluttering at my house Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page