Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Roomba anyone? Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  12:20:01 PM  Show Profile
No, it's not a dance! I'm thinking of getting one of these vacuum robots when we finally move to our new house. Anyone here have one and what do you think of them? I guess they have one that will scrub your hard floors but I think I'll try the vacuum model first.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  1:07:13 PM  Show Profile
I've considered these also and look forward to other's opinions. I'm assuming you'd need one per room? How do they work on pet hair? I'm afraid the pet hair would clog it up and ruin it.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:32:00 PM  Show Profile
My mom had one. It wasn't great, but seemed to work. That was until the cats figured out if they flipped it over they could scratch their bellies on it! She finally gave up on it since it was on it's back more than it rolled around!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Angela, that visual of the cats getting their tummies scratched is too funny! Since I don't have any cats I guess I won't worry about that right now.

Tammy, from what I've been able to figure out, it will do up to 3 rooms at a time. I don't know if you can do 3 rooms then the next day do 3 others? And they have one specifically for pet hair. I thought I'd look into that more when the time came. I would think if you ran it frequently then the hair wouldn't be too much of an issue for it? I don't imagine it would do as good a job as a regular vacuum but I thought if you ran it more frequently than you vacuum then it would be OK.

I see myself running it while I'm at work and coming home to a freshly vacuumed carpet. But I don't know if that's feasible. I wonder if you'd need to be there to keep an eye on it. I'm curious to see what real users have to say. At $300+ I'd hate to buy it and be dissatisfied.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  05:32:38 AM  Show Profile
i have a roomba. in the beginning i loved it. i also had mom to care for. so it saved time. it has a small dirt bin. needs dumped often in my house. the mew ones park and recharge on their own. we love tools here. so i tried the roomba. its good for open areas. if your sofa or table is the wrong height it can get stuck. it does back up and go again. not real thorough but i have a lot of obstacles. just a few thoughts. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  06:09:30 AM  Show Profile
My sister had one when I lived with her. It was a neat, new gadget. It did the job, but I think the newness wore off. If you are really time crunched, then it is a helpful tool. I just grabbed the vacuum. It took less time because the roomba goes back and forth making sure it gets every area. Also remember this is plugged in so you will be paying for electricity for it 24/7. Does it take a lot? Not sure, but something to consider.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Roomba anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page