Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Your Favorite Herb & Herbal Remedy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Your Favorite Herb & Herbal Remedy Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  07:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood-good article-thanks for sharing it. It had some info I didn't know about lavender. :)

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  09:40:38 AM  Show Profile
I too find it hard to pick..........but I guess I would have to go with Echinacea right now. Always try to keep some on hand, but I do have Oil of Oregano in the fridge. My friend's daughter said it tastes like REALLY strong pesto.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  7:11:16 PM  Show Profile
I found some Oil of Oregano at the health food store in our nearest big/little city! Yay! It's waiting on hand just in case. Thanks for the heads-up!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

TNfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Joni
Sparta TN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  06:26:10 AM  Show Profile
I too have a hard time picking a favorite. I want plant a nice herb gardne here in TN when the winter is over. Does anyone know about planting and growing house/poarch plants in TN. I just moved here and the humidity being very different from FL has me killing the simpliest of plants. Maybe there is a web site with info.
You girls are the greatest.

Painted Springs Farm
"Bought the Farm"
Living the good life in TN.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  4:38:48 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe I forgot to mention this one :
Arnica montana (Leopards Bane).
Good as a salve/gel for bruises, swelling, aches and pains and just recently I was told to try taking capsules to help reduce fibromyalgia/arthritis pain. I did feel some relief, I will have to see if it continues.
We always have Arnica gel in the house and the first aid kit.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  08:10:32 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, I was interested in your post about making lemon balm tea. My herb books says to use the fresh leaves steeped in boiling water. Is that how you make it, or can you share your recipe please? I use my lemon balm for tinctures and seasoning so far. Thanks!

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  08:50:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,
That is how I make it-I cut or tear up fresh leaves (from a few springs) and step them for a few minutes in boiling water.
I add the fresh leaves to salads too. What else do you season with it? I haven't tried to tincture it-how do you do that?
Enjoy the tea!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  11:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Ellen.

I have read that lemon balm tea works well for headaches. I have a friend who suffers from migraines, and so I am interested in giving her the leaves to make tea. I have used them in ice cubes for decoration, adding to lemonade or iced tea, or in some chicken dishes for a little extra seasoning. Now that I am making tinctures, I don't have to throw as much onto the compost heap!

The tincture is made from a recipe posted in FarmGirl Connection by Kathy of the Enchanted Woods ... I have made three batches myself this summer; I will have to slow down a bit or use them as stocking stuffers...hmmmm, not a bad idea.

I make Kathy's tincture recipe using 80 proof vodka; she suggests an alternative recipe using glycerin, although she says the alcohol will evaporate once you put the tincture into hot tea. At 5-10 drops per day, it should not be enough to give an alcoholic buzz.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Jo-I like the ice cube idea-if I can salvage any after last nights frost-I will try that. I bet they could be melted easily for tea. I dried a very small amount, but it is mixed with oregano, that might work good on chicken.
I hope it helps your friends migranes. I do find it very calming-noticably so.
The tincture sounds good. I do recall Kathy's posting. I bet it would make a great gift.
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

GRITSgal
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Jamie
Cave Spring Georgia
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Send GRITSgal an AOL message  Send GRITSgal a Yahoo! Message
I love lavendar and it made me feel being on the cloud nine..

I like used Basil leaves in cooking and salads .. also in panini.. my husband fell in love w/ it after I introduced to him first time.

Give
Live
Love

~jamie lee~
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  11:24:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gals - Hi Ellen - I use the dried leaves of my lemon balm for tea - I keep the dried leaves in a container out of the sun and the tea still tastes as wonderful.
The tincture I make using the fresh leaves that I let dry ever so lightly for a few days in the warm of summer. I have not made the tincture using edible glycerin - just the 80 proof Vodka (make sure to use a good brand, it makes a difference in the final product). A good book to read on herbal medicine is by Rosemary Gladstar - I believe it is called the Family Herbal but I would have to check my books. The lemon balm even helps with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Blessed be!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy and Jamie and all,
Thanks Kathy on the tips. I'm going to add Rosemary's book to my "to be read" list. There are so many wonderful herbs out there. And, spring isn't too far away!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  12:28:40 PM  Show Profile
This year, I have to say my favorite is elderberry juice. I know it's not really an herb but boy does it keep the flu and cold bugs away! I went out and picked lots of them last fall because I had read that Native Americans used them for colds and flu. My husband WON'T drink it and my daughter(16) can't seem to remember(even after constant reminders). Guess what? I'm the only one who did not get the flu or even a sniffle this year! They both got the flu and colds and they were miserable. They thought I was nuts. Now they believe me.

Bramble, if you suffer from fibromyalgia/arthritis, I have a tip for you. Get away from the chemicals and go as organic as you can afford. Grow/raise as much of your own food as possible(that saves lots of money). Also get excess salt out of your diet. I have told this to many folks with fibromyalgia and Lupus and like me, have found serious relief without drugs. I suppose this is really a subject for a new topic. Here goes...

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  12:41:32 PM  Show Profile
What I love about all herbs is that there is always something to learn and try. Lavender is my favorite, but I've been experimenting with many. One of my favorite things to do when we are having company in the summer is to make borage flower ice cubes. Gives a fun flair to our summer cookouts. Does anyone get the Herb Companion magazine? So many great ideas are featured in there too.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  1:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ann - I get Herb Companion and Herb Quarterly and sometimes I get Herbs for Health - I am a herbaholic hehehe - I love the idea of the borage ice cubes, I should do that with wood violets - i get scads of them in the spring and they are so pretty! I will be writing an article on Ground Ivy for Herb Quarterly - they have accepted my query and I believe it will be in their fall issue. I have till July I believe to get it written - I am very excited!

Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  2:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, That is so exciting about the Herb Quarterly! What a great idea for the violets too! I guess I never thought of them as being edible - see I just learned some more. Now that I think of it, I remember my grandma decorating food with the wild violets. I've just always used pansies.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  2:15:06 PM  Show Profile
I really like my huge Rosemary plants by my back deck..they are about 4 ft tall by 4 ft wide..and I just planted it like a year and a half-2 yrs ago as a little itty bitty about 7 inch tall plant! ...but anyhow..I really like the smell of it and like adding a few crushed leaves to things like mashed potatoes and my daughter makes really yummy honey and rosemary scones.

I am just now trying to grow lavender..I have a large pot by my deck with a plant of it ..am hoping that it will get larger and I can start taking snippings from it.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  2:22:56 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could get rosemary to grow well here, but it doesn't - I have had luck with one lavender plant - I think it is hycote or something like that but I would have to look - ummm what does really well here - lemon balm, chickweed, honeysuckle, vinca vine, columbine, phlox, hollyhocks - simple herbs like basil, oregano - This past summer I started some queen ann's lace and some mullein and they did well.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  06:03:30 AM  Show Profile
I can only grow rosemary in a pot here in MI. And, that's how I started my lavender plants too and then moved them to well drained sandy loam. And, I have really good luck with oragano.

I'm looking forward to learning what herbs will grow best in NC. Haven't had time to research-any help here would be appreciated. I'm thinking lavender and rosemary will love it there.

Ellen still in MI but hoping soon will be in NC! :)
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  07:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I have many favorite herbs but my top herb of choice right now is stinging nettle. I have horrible seasonal/dust type allergies and get fantastik and instant relief from nettle.

My next favorite would probably be peppermint...oil and tea. I love the oil for headaches. I get nasty headaches from being tired and used to take at least 800mg of ibuprofen at least once a day if not more. I haven't taken any for the past couple of months..yea!!! I've also been managing my headaches better with more attention to proper rest and reducing stress. Native American flute music is the best for relaxing. I like to drink the tea after eating, it really seems to calm and stimulate the digestive system.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, this winter, Comfrey is my favorite. A friend made me a Comfrey lotion that has healed my cracked and bleeding winter skin almost overnight. And there has been no more cracking since. It also worked on a male handy man friend of ours who has severe cracking/bleeding on his thumb. He recently had this problem for three weeks and I took him some of my lotion. He rubbed some on his thumb, put a rubber glove on overnight to keep it moist, and in the morning, the crack had healed over! He's done so much work on our farmhouse, that my being able to fix this one simple thing for him(the guy who can do anything and has every tool in the book) just made my day! :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  6:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy!
Rosemary or Lavender!
I used to buy Lavender from a great little place on Whidbey Island, Washington. It was called Sweetwater Lavender. Not sure if they are still in business. Also Purple Haze is a good place.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile
I have really come to use a combination of basil and peppermint essential oils in a cool compress for headaches - I was so surprised that IT WORKS!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:25:12 AM  Show Profile
Libbie,
Adding a touch of rosemary eo will boost the power of your headache (basil & peppermint) combination.

A very hot foot bath & a ice pack placed at the neck will even make it work better.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:28:14 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, Kristine! Thanks!!! I'll for sure make those changes and additions next time I get one, which will probably be in the next week or so - they seem to follow my cycle (or my stress level!) pretty closely. Ugh.

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Your Favorite Herb & Herbal Remedy Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page