Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Your Favorite Herb & Herbal Remedy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Your Favorite Herb & Herbal Remedy Next Topic
Page: of 3

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  11:50:21 AM  Show Profile
I know there are lots of herb lovers out there! What is your favorite herb and what is your favorite homemade remedy?

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Ijust found my new favorite, I am not sure this quailifies... but my new baby had a bout of craddle crap, so I rubbed in some Vitamin E oil with lemon EO, she cleared right up. I rubbed it in in the afternoon, combed it before her bath and repeated the next morning.

Now my other super remedy is Ginger root tea for morning sickness, works for any quezzy tummy. I even used it for my kids complaints of car sickness. I just heat water, rub the ginger root over a cheese grater, about a tsp, cover with a plate for 5 min and sip away. I had instant relief, I also kept some in the fridge and drank it cold.

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

My favorite herb is lavender. I rub some into my temples & the soles of my feet every night before I go to sleep to relax and drift off peacefully. I've also started using a little peppermint oil on my temples when I have a headache and it really does seem to help relieve it.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Where is a good place to gat lavender oil?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  11:21:31 AM  Show Profile
Aura Casia makes excellent quality essential oils. When choosing an essential oil it is important that the oil not be cut with anything that will adulterate it and many are in fact just perfumed oils and not essential oils. If you are interested, I have an article I have written on Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Qualities that I can post. It is very helpful when shopping for oils.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy, I will check out the AURA CASIA site.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  9:07:21 PM  Show Profile
My favorite herb is Lavender too. It was the first herb I ever planted about 30 years ago and I still love it.

Tami.....I do the same thing with the Ginger Root for tea. It really works. One more thing I did last winter after reading about it in my Everyday Food mag was make my own candied Ginger Root. It's easy and you can save the syrup to mix it with club soda and ice for a nice summertime(or anytime) drink. If you want the directions for that email me privately.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile
I love lavender too! But my second favorite would have to be calendula because it is so healing. Makes a great salve for burns and other boo boos and wonderful in soap. Let's see -- then there's rosemary, scented geraniums, and the list goes on and on!!! Just love herbs in general.

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  11:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Kay do you sell any of your products? I enjoy purchasing pure products from farmgals - at least I know what is in them! Is calendula the same as the marigolds we can buy at the flower market or vegetable stand? I have often wondered this.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  12:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Lavender and Rosemary are my all time favorites! I put lavender EO in my bath each night for a good nights sleep, I also make and use a linen spray of lavender oil. Kathy, no calendula is not the same as marigold, some say so, but two different plants all together. I buy all my essential oils at the health food store.

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2006 :  1:33:20 PM  Show Profile
I too, buy my EOs at the health food store. I really like the Aura Casia brand.
My favorite....probably chamomile...it helps so many things. So soothing.
Lavender is a good second.
I am interested in calendula, as my skin has been so itchy, dry, irritated.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  11:46:17 AM  Show Profile
For all you lavender fanatics.....check out lavenderfanatic.com they even have lavender incense! it's also great for those of us in love with the color purple

So my favorite herbal remedy is actually two by the same company. Both are body washes and are GREAT at making a smelly, dirty body feel rejuvinated. Check commonsensefarm.com and try either the peppermint castile bodywash or the lavender castile bodywash both only contain a few ingredients and smell terrific! The peppermint actually makes your skin tingle a little and makes me feel much cleaner....especially after a hard days work outside in the heat and dirt. Dr. Bronner's castile blends are ok, but aren't near as strong as these mentioned
Go to Top of Page

wileywales
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Amy
Pleasant View CO
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  7:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I make a salve from the creosote bush or rather the chaparal. It has antiseptic qualities that are good on minor cuts and scrapes as well as foot rot, we get in the Grand Canyon. It also has vit. E in it, and natural beeswax.

I have heard some rumors about chaparal, though and wondered if anyone here has any info?
Amy
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I don't believe I've ever found a herb that I dislike! Choosing a favorite is hard! This time of year we use lots of garlic for an immune booster, I like lavender in my bath and on my sheets, peppermint or spearmint combined with chamomile and red raspberry make my favorite teas, a handful of sage, rosemary, and thyme in a soup, and of course for all illnesses echinacea...Maybe I could choose a daily favorite. Today I am tasting a green tea chi with rosemary...I think I'll have to go make some.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile
I would have a hard time picking a favorite too..but I do love love love Lavender, Rosemary and lemon verbena. They are all so useful and smell so good!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm like alot of you and would have a hard time choosing just one!
They are threatening frost by Friday so I have been out winterizing and harvesting what remains. Thyme never disappoints and is perrenial(yeah!), rosemary(wonderful growth this summer), basil is still plugging away for a last batch of pesto, sage,chives, lemon verbina, lavender, greek oregano, comfrey, nasturtiums (for salad), chamomile (for tea and hair rinse), bay(must come in here), marjoram and savory. I am also picking the last squash blossoms to batter and fry for dinner tonight (One of the rare things I ever fry!) I will miss walking out my kitchen door and collecting what I need but I can placate myself by planning next years herb garden this winter!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Yepper-Lavender, but I have other favorites too. I've been making a tea out of my lemon balm and I have also made tea out of my lavender and rose petals. I have a jar of rose petals dried for tea this winter.
I also love my oregano-I add it to potatoes fried in olive oil and toss in few chives at the end. I try to expand on my herbs each year. I'll also miss going out and cutting what I need so I better get out there and harvest a bit more before the frost gets it and bring in what won't make it through our winters here.
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

shoptea
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Martha
SAINT ALBANS MAINE
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  4:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Iwas reading everybody's posts and Nancy you ask where can you get lavender oil. Well I find essential oils from some companys to be expensive. I know from being in business that the price includes advertizing so - on and so forth. When you have a limited budget (I do) you have to shop around - well I'll let you in on a secret.
Check out www.alanticspice.com Wholesale prices
example 1oz bottle lavender oil $4.55
3 types of dried Lavender starting at 6.25 @ pound
You do have to spend $30 but they carry everything I've bought from them for years Enjoy

http://www.villagehavenfarm.com
Country Farm Store - We carry Tea, Country Teapots,Goat Milk Soap and more and yes we even sell Goat Cookies!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  11:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Martha! What a great resource....

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

shoptea
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Martha
SAINT ALBANS MAINE
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Libby, your so very welcome!
Martha

http://www.villagehavenfarm.com
Country Farm Store - We carry Tea, Country Teapots,Goat Milk Soap and more and yes we even sell Goat Cookies!
Go to Top of Page

Amante
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Amante
Stow MA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  12:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
I would be interested in your article
Amante
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I would also be interested in your article.
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

angie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Angie

17 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  5:18:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm kind of late on answering this post but I had to add my family's favorite herbal remedy...Oil of Oregano. It's an anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. We use it usually for stomach bugs. If one of us has a stomach bug or has been exposed to one, we take Oil of Oregano about twice a day. We've used this for many years and I believe it has saved us from alot of those "bugs going around." Another favorite for me is Valerian Root. It works as good, if not better, than chamomile for sleeping and STAYING asleep (that's my problem).

Thanks for all the information I glean from your posts. I really enjoy MJFs chat boards!
Angie in Tennessee

Fivestone Academy Farm
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Angie - how do you use/take oil of oregano? It sounds like a good one to have on hand during the autumn/winter "sick" season!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

angie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Angie

17 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie-
I get Oil of Oregano in gel capsule form. They also come in liquid form that you would take with a dropper but I know when the capsule has popped open in my mouth before, the oregano has a pretty strong "bite". I'm not sure I could take the drops. I usually get mine at the local health food store. It is a specific oregano that is used, not the normal kitchen spice. A bottle of 60 capsules costs about $10 in my neck of the woods (middle TN). That's a wonderful deal considering the number of stomach bugs my family has avoided using it.
Hope this helps!
Angie

Fivestone Academy Farm
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  4:20:23 PM  Show Profile
For anyone that is interested, here is the link to my article on lavender

http://www.essortment.com/family/lavenderaromath_smez.htm

Love reading all about your favorite home remedies!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Your Favorite Herb & Herbal Remedy Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page