Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Margo,
Bless your heart......

Claudia,
thanx for the info on the Venessa Behan site & history.

One of the many precious gifts we can give......our time...
Heart & compassion is something we all have & free to share.
hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  10:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Margo, that was a precious gift you gave her. Some one else could have been less patient with her, adding to her feelings of inferiority. Unfortunately, those thoughts are repeated over and over again as others are not as kind. It is too bad that there is not a government organization that could help her with her heating bill...or at least maybe an advocates group. Thank you for your generosity to her, and also by sharing with us. Blessings to you!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  05:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Margo...That's what it's all about girlfriend. Maybe the only interaction with someone nice is you! You made her day! Some people DO NOT understand Domestic Violence and really don't care as long as it's not them. In our state there is fuel assistance to low income residents. Maybe she qualifies. Also if she is supplied any form of government assistance that landlady will be in Big trouble. Hud Housing could be paying that landlady money towards her rent and certain guidelines must be followed. I don't know what they are but it's worth pointing her into some of these directions. See if you can give her phone numbers. God Bless You!
When I was a Home Health Nurse I went in to a couples home and although I was only required to meet their medical needs I couldn't turn my back on their other needs. I looked in their refrigerator and there was hardly any food. I brought and made them some. They needed their wash done. I pulled their old portable washer to the sink and washed their clothes and bedding and hung it all over the house to dry it. I gave them baths, curled her hair and cut their nails. I brought them clothing and bedding. They needed help and I gave it. I got flack from the other Nurses. If you do it they'll expect everyone to do it! I said," If you can see they need help and walk away, that's you. I can't and I won't." I got paid by the visit so if I stayed 15 min. or 4 hours I got paid the same. I can't believe the way people are.
There's much need in this world. We just need to look for it. We Farmgirls can handle it though! We're a wonderful group of Friends, aren't we?

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  07:23:40 AM  Show Profile
Annika,

I stole your idea! I brought a coffee to the poor kid that serves as the guard for the gate at the gas production plant where I work. Fall in Wyoming is pretty chilly and it was a rainy day. You should have seen his smile!!! *Btw, he's really cute. *wink* Antwho, thanks for the lovely idea.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  09:02:40 AM  Show Profile
Ya know, when I started this thread, my thought was for us to be the igniters of a new flame of spreading some good cheer and help for those in our own little worlds that need it. Instead, I am finidng that as I read your posts, just as Nicole said, I am the one who is blessed. Really, what a wonderful bouquet of ladies you are. I am the privileged one to be able to get to know a piece of you. Many blessings...keep up the paying it forward...even though it be small. Let's make it a habit. And Sherone, I bet you have made a friend of that guard. Bet he mentions it to someone today. :0))

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Darlene...thank you for the Malachi 3:3..by the way. It was welcomed this morning!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  2:20:48 PM  Show Profile
We've been looking out for one of the homeless fellows who is in our area, giving him some food, tea, empty bottles, a hello. He asked why we do it, the answer is simple he is a fellow human being.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  2:45:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow AnneMarie, I bet it is getting cold up there. Bless you for that!! Is there a shelter for these men to get out of the cold?

BTW, do you all have men(some women)stand on corners with cardboard signs saying something like "Will work for food...God bless you."? What do you feel, what do you do or think? I haven't done anything. Not sure if I should or not.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  3:17:24 PM  Show Profile
There are shelters in our city more for men than women though. It's starting to get cool many people sqaut in our river valley too.

Yes to your second question, we have a few people who have signs either will work for food or hungry and need something to eat. Our city has discourged people from giving money directly to panhandlers and instead is really urging citizens to donate to the shelters, soup kitchens, missions directly. It's hard though when you see a fellow human being in need to give them a dollar or two. Maybe if you see somebody instead of giving them cash give them a bag containing a meal (some fruit, some juices, sandwiches) instead, small kindnesses.

This recession/depression has hit both our nations and those who were barely holding on now aren't.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  5:08:13 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen anyone with a sign asking for work in some time, I wonder if the powers that be discourage it or they have found other ways to get help. I am amazed at how awesome the women on this forum are, all the wonderful but simple gestures you make that can make such a difference. Makes me want to try harder to be a kinder person.
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:00:35 PM  Show Profile
Our city also discourages giving to the homeless. The local veterans group sets up flags and a sign-board
asking for donation of food, warm clothes, sleeping bags and money. When they set up by our grocery store
it makes it easy to give, and I know it will really help. At the Curves I go to, they are collecting for
a shelter group this month. Then they adopt a big family for Christmas. It feels more like a gift to myself
when I can help.
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  5:46:37 PM  Show Profile
I was never really close with my MIL. Not because we didn't like one another, just different personalities I guess. My FIL was such a character, that perhaps he stole a lot of attention away from her. When he passed away this past November, my MIL was left alone after 61 years. Plans were set in motion for her future; plans that she had a "say" in, others, not so much. She raised 6 children, all very successful in their lives. Only 1 child offered to take her in, my husband (with my blessing of course). I was shocked and saddend that not one other of my husband's siblings wanted her to live with them. We are talking about a woman who did everything she could for her children. I knew in my heart that it was the right thing to do. What kind of example would I be setting for my own children if I didn't?

She is not yet living with us, we are currently converting our garage into an apartment for her. In the months since my FIL passed, I have learned so much from her. I take her grocery shopping, and take her for her hair appointments each week. We sit at the diner and just chat. I treat her like a grown woman. Not a child, not a burden. I've heard so many stories about her childhood that I've taken to writing them down in a journal so that my children will know more about their family history. My husband and I joke around now that she likes me better than him!
I wanted to set an example for my children, but what I ended up doing was making a friend.

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  6:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Teresa...That is so wonderful. She will be a blessing and likewise. It always amazes me that only a few or none step up tp the plate. My mother was going to move in with my husband and I but passed away a few months before she was to come. I was the only one she felt comfortable to live with and the only one who wanted her. Might I add that I was also the one who never asked her for anything. It's a sin that those that get the most are to busy or something! I also took my FIL out of the VNA hospice to take care of him in our home. I didn't want him to die alone. His own only daughter wouldn't take him. I just don't get it. Well they all have to live with their decisions. I think God only gives them to the people he wants to have them! See you are a chosen one! Enjoy her! You go farmgirl sister!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  07:38:45 AM  Show Profile
I reread this morning what Teresa said about her husband & her, taking in her MIL. I was so touched when I read it the first time, I couldn't answer. Having a mother who is 92 & who still lives within her own house, but losing my dad almost 26 yrs ago, I, (an only child)am aware of how frail, lonesome, living with dignity, these elderly are. They need someone to stand in the gap for them, with them. The commandment, Honor thy father and thy mother can be interpreted in many ways. May I say, that you Teresa, are not only honoring your MIL, but also your FIL, who loved & cared for her, AND you also honor your husband in respecting and loving the woman who nurtured him first. Thank you for your contributions.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  08:33:15 AM  Show Profile
As I was doing a little Bible reading, I came across this verse that I had read many times before. It is Romans 12:14... "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse." Now, I'm not whipped, in a lions den or being stoned. But do I pray for that person in a car that cuts me off, or takes MY parking place or do I show them a few fingers? What about those who are rude on a phone call or don't speak English very well & can't understand me when I call with a problem? What about a company/administration who may lay off my husband? Or a president or other government official who is not doing what I think needs to be done now? Minor persecutions maybe...but I have lost the command to pray for them and not curse. I will try hard on this one....cuz in reading the scripture this morning, I don't think I "just happened" on it...it was a command..not a suggestion.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  3:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
This is such a wonderful thread. Last week I had an ywo 10.00 off grocery coupon. The guy in line in front of me was buying groceries for himself and 6 kids. I gave him my coupon.

Also, I print out little notes and leave them around town. I print out positive affirmations and leave them on the mirrors in bathrooms or with my tip when I go out to eat or hidden in stores.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  4:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Pam...
That's awesome!Everyone can use a good word no matter where they are. What a kind gesture for the father and kids.Way to go girlfriend!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  06:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, I know what you mean about the people in this world who seem to be doing the opposite of what we are trying to do. While I was waiting for my MIL to come out of the grocery store, I pulled up close to the entrance so that she would not have to walk all the way into the parking lot. The next thing I know, some irrational man started shouting obsenities through his car window that I shouldn't be taking up so much space. I know that clearly I was not taking up that much space because there was plenty of room for cars to drive in both directions next to me. I did not respond to his outburst, but felt it weighing on me for a good part of the day. I also find it difficult to pray for them. Maybe you were meant to read that scripture not just for yourself, but also for us.
Pam, I love your idea of leaving little affirmations around town. I keep a little daily calendar on my counter, it's the Life's little instructions calendar. My kids and I read them everyday and keep the ones that really hit home with us.

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  08:29:34 AM  Show Profile
this is a little off topic but I've always wanted to take the kids and have them adopt a family so to speak for christmas, I think it would be good for them to step out of their own wants and think about someone else for a change, but I don't know how to go about doing it, any suggestions ?
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  11:17:23 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it's off topic at all. I think it is wonderful that you want your children to help a family in need. I know that in my school district, the school nurse has the information on which families need assistance. I'm not sure if that can give that information out. You could ask your church. It doesn't have to be a church in which you are a member of, most would welcome the help. I believe our local Lion's Club also has that kind of information.
Hope that helps. Good Luck!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  12:13:30 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea Patricia. Nothing is off subject as long as it is in thinking or doing something else for another. Teresa has some good suggestions. Our Christmas families always came through churches...or the schools who knew of families. Even if you didn't know their names, maybe the school would give the sex, ages/sizes of the family for a little gift. Something for dinner is always wonderful too. Very good ideas from you all. Some I would have never thought of. Continue the good work. I am being so blessed in this.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile
thanks, we aren't in the best of shape financially but I feel like we should do this. I'm going to have to see about making it a reality this year.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile
This is just a little thing, but I make sure that every child in my classes (I teach middle school science), gets a Happy Birthday from me, and a Happy Birthday pencil. I have quite a mix of students - wealthy, struggling, well-cared for, and some not so much. I know with some of them it just makes there day that someone remembered.

I also choose two charities each month to make a monetary donation to.

And, I leave used books and magazines in places where people might find them.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  5:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, those are big things. Anytime that a child is shown some special love, their life is better. I'm sure as an adult, if asked, they will speak of your pencil. Donations and leaving magazines in areas where others can read, feed the mind & save the land fills.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  03:42:17 AM  Show Profile
could you all do me a favor? please tell those children in your sphere how much you love them now while they are with you , we lost a young man in our marching band, he killed himself over the weekend. as people we are so quick to judge and criticize instead of offering love and support. breaks my heart to see his mother in such pain
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do Unto Others Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page