buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  06:52:22 AM  Show Profile
You have heard of "paying it forward" or as the title suggests. In this economic climate of people having less, and possibly giving less, what one thing can & WILL you do for another to "make their day", and help rid your community etc. of the negative thoughts and influences that have invaded our society. These little gems could be calling a friend you haven't spoken with in a long time, donating a coat or several canned goods to your neighborhood food bank. It could be babysitting a child for an hour to give Mom time to get to the store...or doctor. Maybe it isn't a child, but donating time to a care-giver of an elderly or Alzheimer person.

Post that good deed...not to "toot" your own horn, but to inspire others to do the same. Farm girls are noted for their generosity. Your gem can be little or big, but let's start a movement to help others, because we can.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  07:37:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm embarrassed to even post this, but I like to buy the coffee of the person in line behind me at my favorite coffee house. It brings smiles and sometimes a good conversation. I like to make people happy. I Like to see smiles =) It's a small thing, but there it is.

We do what we can, but that is my favorite "surprise" thing to do.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  07:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Annika, please don't be embarrassed. You are doing a wonderful thing. Those lucky coffee drinkers!!!!!

I think we need to generate some good will and if we can "state the fact" that we are doing something, it may be just the thing to get something going. I listened this morning to the news about someone with a webcam photoing some private moments of a young man, who because he had not let his parents in on his feelings, jumped to his death. The news is spattered with BAD things, it is time to not only talk about GOOD things, but do them. I would like to see others write about what they did TODAY...making it an ongoing daily journal!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  07:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, I read that. I'm very saddened by it too. I'm going to start a positive thoughts of the day journal. I think we all need to keep our chins up, pay it forward and try to combat the negativity that the world is tossing around these days. Good for you for starting this thread!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  08:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Claudia,
I absolutely love books and am an avid reader. Nowadays I get most of them from the library but I still have a sizeable stash.

When I finish a book and no longer want to keep it, I put a sticky note on it that says "please take this book"

ith a little note inside to read and enjoy it and pass it on.
Then I leave the book someplace in my little town.
On a park bench, the lobby of the senior's home, pediatrician's office, etc. Hopefully someone else will get a smile from this idea
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  09:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, in the grocery store, there was an older man ahead of me in line. The cashier was counting out his change and he also used two gift debit cards that had small amounts on them. He was a little short $1.84 so he was going to put his milk back. I handed the cashier a couple of dollars and told him that the milk was important. He seemed a little embarassed at first, but I assured him that it has happened to me and I was just paying it forward. He then gave me the biggest smile...it just made my day! Sometimes I feel like I get back much more than I give!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  11:17:14 AM  Show Profile
I found all these ideas things I could adapt, if I only open myself up to it. On one of our TV stations, they show a dog/cat at our local shelters for adoption. However, they always ask for newspapers, any dog or cat food also. These are honorable things to consider doing too.

I must admit, that TODAY, I haven't done anything that is an example of being kind or helping another. One thought I had was an old one from about 15 years ago. Don't know if it would work today, because of privacy laws. Anyway, the hospital where I worked, had a program, where we were able to "adopt" a oldster in a nursing home. At least once a month, we would send a card with a little note to a patient there, who had no family call or visit them. It was fulfilling letting them know that someone cared. So since I haven't yet done anything today, have any of you had a chance?

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  5:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, Claudia, I didn't do anything today, but at our church for Caring Sunday, we do a reverse collection where instead of just bringing a canned food item to church, the Sunday before you take a piece of paper with a food item on it. That's what you bring for Caring Sunday. So this week I'm going to be bringing my box of Chicken Helper to church!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  07:16:16 AM  Show Profile
It was pretty inspiring reading some of these posts. All too often, I am in such a rush to go here, or pick up someone there. I know that I have let opportunities pass me by where I could have gone that extra step to make someone's day a little easier, or brighter. Being more aware of it now, I pledge to "Do Unto Others" everyday. Even on days when I'm just sitting at home. There must be lots of things one could do.
Thanks Claudia!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
This is a great thread. Very inspiring. I remember when a representative from the then Crisis Pregnancy Center spoke to us at church. They always need diapers and wipes, etc. I thought that would be such a simple thing, to just buy a bag of diapers along with my groceries and donate them. I've never gotten past the thinking stage. But with the gentle nudge of this thread, I think I will do that today. So, thank you!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  11:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Last August I was attending orientation to a local university with my son, his best friend and his best friends mom. We were leaving one of the campus buildings and I saw an envelope laying on the ground and I picked it up. It was unopened transcripts to a girl starting school there. I thought omg...is she gonna miss this when she goes to register. So I took it back into the building I just left and made sure that it got where it was supposed to go. Then as we were walking to our car, I saw a really old van with it's headlights on. I went over to the van and tried to open the driver side door, hoping it was unlocked. I was just going to reach in and turn off the lights. The van had Alabama plates (we're in Ohio) and I felt so bad because they were going to come out to their van and the battery was going to be dead. But the door was locked and there was nothing I could do. My son's friend said, "You sure do like to pay it forward don't you. I said, I certainly do...maybe someday all my RAOK's will come back and reward me in a gigantic way!....
I don't expect that to happen. I just like to do RAOK's because it's the right thing to do!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  3:09:32 PM  Show Profile
I really love the suggestions. Little things to make anothers life a little better. I can adapt many of these suggestions for my own. Thanks again.

This week, I took my 92 yo Mom for a diagnostic mammogram, & they found a mass. Her doctor called me yesterday with the news and an appointment with a surgeon. We have an appt on the 19th & then we go from there. I am a 2 yr now retired RN, and an only child. My Mom became my best bud (except for my husband) after my dad died 25 years ago. I was thinking how fortunate I am to have my Mom, & vice versa. Don't want to sound pompous, but I try to be the best daughter and friend I can to her. I am very lucky. I realize how many parents really aren't involved in their childrens' lives, & definitely how few children call or visit their parents with any frequency. My Mom & Dad took good care of me since a baby and paid hard earned money for my education. I feel like the time I give my Mom is just a small portion of a thank you for all she did. In stead of paying it forward, I want to pay back.

The man across the street died recently. His wife is on dialysis, & has moved 10 miles away to live with their daughter. The yard has not been mowed for awhile & looked a fright. We have a riding lawn mower (we have a huge lawn) & so I mowed their yard. It's coming close to the end of the season, but Dan & I talked that with their yard unkept, someone might think their house was unoccupied (which it is) and break in. It has an added benefit of keeping our neighborhood look nice. Paying it forward.

Diane, I wonder how many times that old man thought about what you did, & if he shared it with others. Megan, let us know if there were alot of contributions at church. Teresa, I am interested in what opportunity might have risen. I really like the diaper thing, Loyce. I bet any crisis agency or woman's shelter in a town would appreciate a helping hand like that. And Debbie, even thinking of little ways to help...going out of your way to help someone at the university etc is such a good thing. I'm sure she appreciated that.

For knitters and crocheters, I know that one of our local hospitals, appreciates little premie hats for newborns...especially as the weather turns. You might check & see if they are taking contributions.

So....good going girls. The week ahead might present some unique opportunities. Many blessings on you as you choose to bless others.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  4:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Every Sunday I sit with an old gentleman at church. I noticed him awhile back and noticed no interaction by or with him. First we sat across the aisle from one another and I began greeting him first. Now he looks for me and I always make sure to talk to him. I don't even know his name but I may be his only human contact. He falls asleep sometimes and looks a little different but he's a human being and I choose to acknowledge him. I choose to acknowlegde a disabled young woman also even if she can't return the same. We need to make people feel like they belong and I do t everytime I get the chance.

I worked at a nursing home and took blankets and throws in for those that needed them. I bagged up jewelry, lotion, pens pencils, cards etc. so they would have it for bingo. I took my magazines in for them and decorated the rooms of those that had no families. Most of all I taught my grandsons that they needed to do something for others. They made mittens with the residents names on them for their doors and decorated them, all 60. My heart belongs to the elderly and while most nurses wouldn't help feed them, I never went to lunch before I helped feed those who could not feed themselves. I was told many times that it wasn't my job to which I replied that I thought it was.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Now for what someone did for me. 9/23/10 my husband and I were hit by someone who totaled our car and ran. An elderly man saw it happen and chased them and ran them off the road. They jumped out of the car to run and he jumped out and yelled police. The driver hit the ground. A woman who witnessed the accident called the police. Between the 2 of them the 2 men were caught. By the looks of our car we should be very injured. Our injuries will heal. We are Blessed. Thank God for the 2 people who decided to do the right thing. God is good All the time.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  6:05:34 PM  Show Profile
don't know if this applies, one of the teenage girls I coach is going thru a difficult time and was recently hospitalized for treatment for self destructive behavior. I am trying to help her with just love and hugs and a listening ear when she needs to talk. Everyone just needs some support sometimes
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  6:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, everything counts. Our children are only loaned to us, and if we aren't attentive to their needs...who will be. Good for you and many blessings for you and your daughter. I ask all of us here to say a little prayer for her daughter. That is a great gift for another.

Darlene! I am so impressed with your work and what you have done. Teachning your grandsons was a gift for them...learning to think of others. I am surprised that the nurses said what they did about those who could not feed themselves. We do reap what we sow..so their hearts better become soft in the profession they have chosen. What a ministry to work with the sick. And... Thank God for those human angels that helped you in your wreck. I hope you are healing well. Thanks for sharing and everyone..share some more.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
i think all the things you guys are doing is great-the world needs more kind acts that is for sure! i don't always do something remarkable but i always try to smile at people and make sure i say thank you to anybody who is waiting on me in a store or the bank ect. i did make grape jelly this week and i didn't put any sugar in it so my dad,mom and grandma could have some-none of them are suppossed to have sugar. nothing much but they sure did appreciate it

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  06:56:47 AM  Show Profile
I am always so touched by all the kindness here. And I try to remember to do the same for others, too, as posts just like this remind me to pay it forward. I count this forum as one of my blessings. So many kind, warm, thoughtful people here. I have had a pretty yucky year, but MJF and my "sisters" here have enriched my life, reminded me to see the blessings instead of just the bad stuff, realize I could have it worse, and have brought so much happiness. When I get on the forum, it is like a "happy" break.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  10:06:45 AM  Show Profile
Every little thing counts...even a smile, & to be cheerful and courteous.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  10:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh...I forgot. I'm going to a funeral this afternoon. I hate funerals. I haven't seen the family for about 15 years, but I think it is probably important for me to be there for support.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  3:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Claudia...What a lovely testament to your devotion to your mother and vice versa. I send prayers for her and you during this trial you will endure. God is good All the time and he is the Master Physician so give it to him and He will see you through. There is no other love like a Mother's. Bless you both.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  5:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, thank you so much for the prayers. We will take them. I am 5'6. Mom is 4'10. She used to be a little taller as was I. Old age setting in.

You are so right. God is good All the time....All the time, God is good!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  9:24:11 PM  Show Profile
hey Claudia,
I have enjoyed reading this thread....
It is so easy to do kind things for others, which in turn opens our hearts for greater things.
A lot of gals, members of the WSQ (Wash. State Quilters)(Spokane), 'show & tell' their quilts, and many are donated to the (name escapes me) to the group that supports women & children in need of help. They had a telethon last nite to raise funds...anyways, it is so easy to make a simple quilt to be donated to a crisis center, with operation Linus-the blankets go to Neo-Natel or children in crisis'...
Hmm, ya know, I think I need to pull out my stash of fabric and stitch up some pillow cases to donate.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread and have to say you all have inspired me. thank you for that. May I be mindful of others and their needs today and everyday.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are all awesome, even just checking this thread out to see what was happening. I wish I were a seamstress. All you quilters and those who make aprons etc. When I was a teen, my Mom who was an excellent seamstress wanted to teach me to sew. I was a twerp and didn't want to learn. That same Mommy that is 92 years offered & I was rebellious and refused. I am so sorry now. Grace mentioned the telethon in Spokane (15 miles from my home), & I remember that the NBC affiliate was doing one for Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery.(http://www.vanessabehan.org/about-us/vanessas-story ) The nursery was started in the late 80's as a grass roots organization in outcry of the death & severe child abuse of a 2 yr old. See the website. The step-father who had punched his step-dtr in the abdomen perforating her bowel went scott free as Vanessa's mother refused to testify. The center is for parents to leave their child, (who feel as though they may hurt them, or are homeless etc) to the center for a max of 72 hrs. and offers help to those parents to get it together. These people who started the Crisis Center were examples of really paying it forward. We may not be able to do something so dramatic, but dropping off food to a food bank, shelter, making a quilt, even watching out for those children on our block who may be abused is something that may change our world & save a life.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  6:53:57 PM  Show Profile
i work as a part time teller in a very small town's bank...it was my saturday yesterday-one teller and the manager from 9-12. we've only been open on saturdays since may but it's gaining customers every week!

anyhow- once a month a gal comes in with an index card listing her money order needs and spendable cash etc..i assist her in taking the money from her savings and getting the money orders and etc- it's my job....what isn't my job but is natural to me is to listen to this gal--she is a domestic violence victim, has no self esteem-NONE- and now i find out, has a slum landlady...no heat in her (not cheap) rental. the days have been gorgeous here but the nites have been cold and this gal is without heat...and it's only october!anyhow- my lobby filled with ppl yesterday as i helped her- not one complained about "how long" it took while i helped her...someday,maybe i'll be able to do more for her and hug her...for now, all i could do is be patient and consoling and give her the gift of my time.

yesterday was the third time i have waited on her and she is just a precious person--i'm glad that she was able to come in when i was there- the other tellers do not give her the simple help she needs or the re-enforcement that she is a good person....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do Unto Others Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page