sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:17:50 AM  Show Profile
i shall start by saying i was a bonafide hardcore health food hippe. i loved it. i lived in a commune, helped build my own wood cabin. no electricity only a hose out front of cabin for water. wash tub bath tub for my kids. fine clean pure life. we were a NO drugs working class commune. all were well educated. we were nurses college students etc. from all over the us. well days gone by. i met a young couple a while back. they had offered to help around the farm. many folks offer, when they find how very hard the work is they stop coming back.lol so these folks keep coming back. larry the young man said his father NEVER taught him how to work. they came last week. papa taught him how to dig post holes. larry, the young mand dug 11 for us. last night they came and he put in 11 T- posts. go figure. we tried to share farm stuff. they said no we want to learn to work a farm. they are helping us for FREE. larry was sharing with us that there is a movement across the states. young folks going back to hippie ideals if you will. such as living off the land sustainably.growing organically etc. he said these folks want to know what us farm girls know MY thought is maybe where some of you girls are there may be ones wanting to learn. its working for me. thought some others may benefit from this idea. i am going to offer a soap class. plus other classes, such as canning. this way i get help they learn and we all win. just a thought to share with my farmgirl sisters happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Good for you! I am from N Ca, lived for a while in a commune, still consider myself the only hippie in S Mo. I do see a movement in that direction, but I don't think people want to be called Hippies {like it's a bad thing}. You will all benefit, Carol

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:40:54 AM  Show Profile
think the label thing of hippie will get better. i am proud of the movement of the 60s. lots of things changed after that era. many for the better. so as my kids say once a hippie always a hippie. so when they leave here they all say even the grands peace out hippie nana. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherrye- I think it would be great living in a commune! My husband is not really into the hippie ideas. He doesn't mind eating organic but he doesn't feel strongly enough about it to make an effort etc.

I think it's great that you found some young people in your community that want to help/learn. What an exciting time for both of you! I hope they enjoy learning as much as you enjoy teaching! What a great way to share knowledge!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  09:26:19 AM  Show Profile
The commune life wasn't as easy as it sounds and I do not think very many survived. I have always wanted to check out "The Farm" down in Tenn., but I am not even sure it is still around.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  2:31:20 PM  Show Profile
I know quite a few "young" people (I'm an old 47) who embrace a more natural, simple, sustainable life. I myself was a wanna be hippie in college but that was in the 1980's and I was sort of an oddity (still am!) I think it's great that so many young people realize the perils of an unsustainable lifestyle, but even they sometimes get discouraged by their peers who just want to party. But hippies come in all ages--yesterday I was at the home of my eighty-year-old friend and she was reading Mother Earth News.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  3:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Yay Sherrye! Glad it is working out for both parties. It is refreshing to find young people who still want to learn "the old ways!"

One of my friends has an 11-year-old daughter who loves to come over and help me while learning to bake and garden. Next time I do some canning, I think I will have her over. I gave her some peach jam a couple of weeks ago and she asked me today how I got the lid to seal! Her dad told her I must have some kind of machine or something! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  4:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I am a hippie chick! I have always been this way. I have noticed alot of younger people going more to this way of life. I see them all over the place. Chattanooga is a very diverse place. So much going on there now. Lots of farmer's markets and CSA'a. There are several people living out here now.

Carol, where is this farm in Tn? I would love to go if it's near here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  4:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I think it is near Summertown, tn and was stared about 1970-ish. I love the books by their midwife Ina May Gaskin. I am not sure if the Farm disbanded but I don't think so.

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  1:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Yep, the Farm has been around since the 70s http://www.thefarmcommunity.com/. I love their cookbook as it's all natural/veggie & has many from-scratch recipes. I'm one of those wanna-be farmers, too & have been a granola hippie misfit foreva

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  6:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Yay for hippies! I'm a hippie, always have been. Love em.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  6:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, I'm a late hippie chick, I was a teen in the 70's and at that time tried to be a glamour princess =P I "Found" my inner hippie chick in my 30's. I live on the cusp of two university towns and am noticing a LOT of down-to-earth concerned and an lovly hippy people here. Of all ages =) It is WONDERFUL that you have this opportunity Sherrye!

Candy, isn't it just heart-warming when a child wants to learn the old fashioned things?

Hippy-Gypsy mama-granola and a little bit of a misfit myself Jewel!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

granitelakegoatgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Amy
Libby MT
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2010 :  8:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Send the learners my way!!!!!Could always teach those that lend a hand!

~Amy~ THE BEND IN THE ROAD ISN'T THE END OF THE ROAD UNLESS YOU REFUSE TO TAKE THE TURN

Wish I could stay home more to be a fulltime homestead wife/mom....SOMEDAY! Part time will have to do for now!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  06:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I say yea to the next generation of Hippies! They can learn a lot from us old Hippies. There is a movement happening, but a bit different than the peace and love of the 60's. It is more about fresh, local, sustainable food and self-sufficiency. But watch out...the Government is trying to regulate it. Control the food and you control the people. They (government, influenced by special interest) make it appear to be for health reasons, but it is all about control and big food processing and packaging and huge corporate farms. Just look at Wisconsin, the Dairy State. We had a raw milk bill that was destined to be passed, only to be vetoed by Governor Doyle at the last minute. Is it a coincidence that the veto happened shortly after the lobbyists for the huge corporate dairy farms had a little meeting with him? Many small Wisconsin Dairies are barely making it. I know of one that has to sell his raw milk to an artisan cheese maker in MN, because he can't sell it here. I also know of another small dairy farm that had the Dept. of Agriculture pull up to his farm in black SUV's and take his computer hard drive and pour blue dye in his milk vat and seal it off. Looked like a drug sting! These two dairy farms are all natural grass fed farms. The Government protecting us from ourselves. This is why we have to buy local and organic and support the growers and farmers. So I say hooray for the movement, let's help by passing on our "old hippy skills" to the next generation.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Sep 30 2010 09:20:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  10:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I am with you Diane, we can pass on ssooooo much!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3852 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3852 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  11:02:11 AM  Show Profile
And, I thought they were just foolin around with this new movement thing! My niece is very much into learning from the past. Her Mom, bless her heart doesn't have a crafty bone in her body, when it comes to decorating ideas she's great, but buys it all.
So, she would always send my niece to me to teach the basic skills in life. I have recently taught her how to crochet. I thought she was not really serious but now that you mention how there are young ones that are serious I'll be too, with her especially.
She didn't even know what old classic movies were for gosh sakes! So, when she comes over she asks me what's the latest I have. I love it! My dd is true blue oldies girl! She loves the 50's and 60's stuff and sytle.
She works at a health food store and the government is working hard to regulate or stop the selling of supplements. Like Diane said they claim it is for our good. Right! The big companies are just trying to make all the money and push the small independents out of business.
Sign every petition you can to support your local health food industry stay in business.
Thank you Sherry for sharing this with us. I'm so glad you are getting the help you need and passing on your knowledge at the same time. Wonderful!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  11:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Marsha, that reminds me. The big drug companies don't want us to know that all drugs are based on natural remedies from the past. Mind you, they are loosely based. I just got a book the "Herbal Drugstore". Amazing information there. I am now drug free from the drugs I was taking for my RA. I am going totally natural.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  12:47:37 PM  Show Profile
I think you are right about the government eyeing the new organic food movement. They see taxes being lost! And a freedom being exercised.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  12:53:56 PM  Show Profile
God forfend that we have a good life! The Government is seeing all of this as a threat, I guess, so they are trying to micro-manage and make rules and laws to prevent all of us smart folk from going against the grain...Darn us! Well, keep on with the movement to restore sanity and save our "hippy" self sufficient ways! We are sure gonna need them.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I've always been something of a hippie-gypsy girl.. I'm 30 but I was like this when I was 18... I try really hard but alot of the things I have to BUY and they are very expensive.. why can't these hippies be reasonable? Why is organic, etc. so expensive? Maybe it's just that way here but on the internet too ...I'd like to see reasonable prices or the hippies are still as greedy as the "corporates" ...

Now don't get me wrong, I am willing to pay for a quality thing and not ALL are like this .... but trying to go into, say, Whole Foods, to maintain a "lifestyle" that I believe in and be healthy for... it's almost impossible... $40 for a little brown bag of groceries is not so good.... Ah, if only I could get away from here!

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  1:52:31 PM  Show Profile
This thread is so important & informative. Corporate greed and gov't interference isn't new, but thankfully, with the internet and more indie documentaries being made, it's up to *us* to stay informed, cast our votes (both at the ballot & at the market (i.e. the foods we buy & the places we buy from). There are sooo many things we hippie farmers can do to be empowered to pass along "heirloom skills" from quilting, sewing, cooking from scratch, herbal remedies, gardening, etc whether living in an apartment or on a 40 acre ranch. I tell my kids that the more educated we can become (on any subject), the more choices we have & the less fear we have.

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  2:30:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm a hippie/homesteader chick...always have been. Lot's of people still think of a hippie as a stinking, pot smoking, antiestablisment kind of person. This is a new age of hippies. It is a mindset, just like being a farmgirl. I think we all need to put on our best aprons and go to Washington and protest about the way our Government is ruining the "hippie" way of life by trying to control what we eat and how we grow it...does anyone remember NAIS? It disappeared because so many people fought it...Change can come around if we make our voices heard!

I keep telling my hubby that he isn't building the bubble over our farm fast enough....lol...youngest son asked if we would put in a "doggy door" for him. I said once the bubble is closed, either you're in or you're out...it is such a joke for our family, this bubble thing...but the way things are going it might not be that far-fetched, ya know?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  2:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I keep wanting to "like" things here like on facebook. LOL.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile
While I won't call myself a hippie (my brother calls me Earth mother, I prefer that, lol), I am definitely all about homesteading and being self-sufficient. I hope it will make y'all happy, ladies, to know that this 'movement' is alive and well within my age group and younger age groups (I'm in my 30s). I post tidbits on both my Facebook page and my blog about self-sufficiency tips, etc., and I have gotten so many compliments lately how my Facebook posts are "the most interesting ones on there"! Lol!

When I started the Farmgirl chapter here, I was soooo surprised about the outcome. Women WANT this. They WANT to learn what their grandmothers and great-grandmothers did. I love it!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic new hippie movement 2010 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page